Galaxy S9 May Arrive With Half A Terabyte Of Onboard Storage

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
512gb_eufs_main-jpg.78121

This next bit of news regarding the Galaxy S9 should of course be taken with a grain of salt. The Galaxy S8 and S8+ as well as the Note 8 did consumers a solid by offering a base model of 64GB. This is huge considering that most of the content we consume these days is digital. You can easily load up your onboard storage downloading movies for long plane rides or simply taking high quality videos and pictures.

Samsung may be ready to do something quite ridiculous. It is being reported that Samsung may be looking at adding a 512GB option for the Galaxy S9 and S9+. They have just started mass producing that size of eUFS storage meant for mobile devices. Read speeds on this chip will reach speeds of up to 860MB per second and write speeds of 255MB per second. Samsung has not mentioned when the chip will be ready, but we may see it as soon as the Galaxy S9. Do you have any need for this much onboard storage in a smartphone? Do you think this could mean that Samsung is ready to ditch the micro SD card slot for good?

via BusinessWire

Attachments

• 512GB_eUFS_main.jpg
    512GB_eUFS_main.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 3,159

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Holy gigabyte Batman, that's a lot of storage! With that much on board, you can ditch the SD card....for now that is, until we start needing petabytes of storage. I'm not sure it will really happen on the S9 though, but it does sound pretty cool to have that much storage on board.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
this could also have to do with the Dex thing, they want a computer and frankly 64gb in a PC is so 2005. If they are adding this kind of storage it's more than likely for a feature like that. Makes sense, why phone storage hasn't kept up is beyond me.

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
this could also have to do with the Dex thing, they want a computer and frankly 64gb in a PC is so 2005. If they are adding this kind of storage it's more than likely for a feature like that. Makes sense, why phone storage hasn't kept up is beyond me.
I have no idea why we still have 64gb to be honest. It should be 128gb minimun since system files takes up a good chunk of the advertised memory. There really should be regulations when it comes to that. 64gb advertised should be 64gb of unused memory, not 64gb with 10gb of system files included. With how big apps and its constant updates and cache stored, it's quick to run out of memory. Even with barely installing my necessary apps, nothing really excessive outside of those outside from social media apps like Snap, IG, FB, and have stored my pictures/video externally leaving out just the pics I need to access time to time without the need of cloud subscriptions, i'm already somewhere 30ish gb used.

Last edited:

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have no idea why we still have 64gb to be honest. It should be 128gb minimun since system files takes up a good chunk of the advertised memory. There really should be regulations when it comes to that. 64gb advertised should be 64gb of unused memory, not 64gb with 10gb of system files included.
I understand say, 512gb hdd, I understand there's a bit of use on those, but not system files... When I buy a phone and it's 32gb and out of the box 12+gb of bloatware and other garbage is included, that's not 32 gb...

I wonder if there ever could be a way to make them do something like that

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
if they ditch sd card, they will again lose customers even with 512gb storage. it's such a pain transferring data from one device to the other without sd card. connect phone to pc, move 2tb to pc, then connect the other phone to pc, move same 2tb to new phone. with sd you just pop old card into new phone and done with it.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
if they ditch sd card, they will again lose customers even with 512gb storage. it's such a pain transferring data from one device to the other without sd card. connect phone to pc, move 2tb to pc, then connect the other phone to pc, move same 2tb to new phone. with sd you just pop old card into new phone and done with it.
Connect phone to phone and cut out the middle man... If only they would do that, and not Bluetooth, that's too slow and constantly has errors, just give us a damn usb-a to whatever adapter and call it good.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Connect phone to phone and cut out the middle man... If only they would do that, and not Bluetooth, that's too slow and constantly has errors, just give us a damn usb-a to whatever adapter and call it good.

even with that it will be slow going for media files. as previously stated, it is easier just to pull a card from one phone and place it in another.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Well with the Capability of Shooting 4K Video on Phones that Does eat up Tons of Storage Quickly and unless you invest in a Fast enough SD well this would make for a interesting Option. I still Want a SD Card Option Regardless.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
People who buy phones for the SD Card have reasons to want removable storage. I'm one of those people. No other solution will have the same purpose or usefulness for me. Note I did not say it was for everyone. 400gb cards are soon in the offing.bigger than my current needs but I still remember when I wondered how I could ever fill the 700Mb drive on my first Mac. Operating systems, program file size, etc quickly expand to fill any storage space available - whee more useless junk!!

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
People who buy phones for the SD Card have reasons to want removable storage. I'm one of those people. No other solution will have the same purpose or usefulness for me. Note I did not say it was for everyone. 400gb cards are soon in the offing.bigger than my current needs but I still remember when I wondered how I could ever fill the 700Mb drive on my first Mac. Operating systems, program file size, etc quickly expand to fill any storage space available - whee more useless junk!!

I remember being amazed when a program was so large, it would fit on two 5 1/4 inch floppies :)

anyway in the past I would carry several micro sd cards in my wallet because it was easy to swap them out for different type of media files to play on my phones. the note 5 broke me of the habit.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
I remember being amazed when a program was so large, it would fit on two 5 1/4 inch floppies :)

anyway in the past I would carry several micro sd cards in my wallet because it was easy to swap them out for different type of media files to play on my phones. the note 5 broke me of the habit.
Note5 with no SD option eventually made me move to the Moto Z Force. Then back to the Note8.