Galaxy S7 Edge Has The Best SmartPhone Camera Ever According To DxOMark

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

My earlier Galaxy S7 Edge camera observations were unmerited according to DxOMark who has named the Galaxy S7 Edge camera the best Smartphone camera ever! I took some shots in low light settings last week. The shots I took had much more grain than I would have liked to see. Shots were very good in sunlight and rooms with plenty of light. Even though there was plenty of grain in my shots the S7 Edge still takes better shots than other cameras. After hearing from many of you it is clear that I expected too much out of the camera.

The Galaxy S7 Edge scored 88 marks in the test. Fast and Accurate Auto Focus, detail in low light, and lack of grain in both photos and video helped the S7 Edge to score high. If you wan't the full breakdown of how DxOMark came up with their ranking you can head to the link below.

via DxOMark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The S7 comes with one of 2 sensors. One made by Samsung or the other made by Sony. This could explain the differences between user experiences as the Sony version supposedly does a better job in low light.
The biggest thing I took away from the article wasn't that it was so much a great great camera vs standalone dslr cameras but was better than its current phone camera competition . In other words it sucked less in low light than previous cameras not so much that the problem of low light noise has been eliminated totally. Here's a quote.

"Noise is very fine — in fact, it’s barely visible in all conditions, and Samsung has achieved an excellent compromise between noise, texture, and detail for the new S7 edge. Test shots under a low 20 Lux light source show that noise for the S7 edge is significantly less visible than for its main competitors." Again noise is better than the others but not gone as advertisements would lead us to believe.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The camera on my smartphone is of the utmost importance to me. I have to use it regularly when traveling for work, and I use it personally while traveling as well. I've been testing the camera of the S7 Edge extensively with the Nexus 6P and iPhone 6S Plus, attempting to decide which will be the go to device I stick with for the next several months. In almost all of my shots, the S7 Edge has performed better than the 6P and the 6S Plus. It's not even close. I'm not surprised with the praise that the S7 Edge's camera is getting. It's the best all around performer on a major phone to date. It's not perfect, but no camera is (especially on a smartphone).

Several other reviews and comparisons are saying the same thing. Android Central did a great comparison with the S7, 6P, iPhone 6S Plus, & Lumia 950 and found the S7 to be the best performer of the bunch ("by a hair"). The Verge also pitted the S7 against the 6S Plus and the S7 Edge came out ahead. I've yet to see a smartphone camera comparison involving the S7 where it doesn't come out on top in the end.

The S7 comes with one of 2 sensors. One made by Samsung or the other made by Sony. This could explain the differences between user experiences as the Sony version supposedly does a better job in low light.

Good point. Most reports are that the Sony sensor performs slightly better than the Samsung sensor. It's not a huge difference, and not one that most people would notice, but in a close comparison, the Sony sensor sneaks ahead slightly by most accounts. My S7 Edge has the Sony sensor. I'd be curious to know for sure which sensor was used in the unit tested by DxOMark.

Reactions: cr6

jbal52

Reaction score
I have been a photo enthusiast for over 40 years and have used digital photography for many of the more recent ones with my Nikon D300s DSLR. Focus especially has always stood out for me with DSLRs for being so fast. I have only had my new Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge for a few days but the focus and low light exposure capability have astounded me. For a smartphone it most likely today has no equal and definitely raises the bar.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I have been a photo enthusiast for over 40 years and have used digital photography for many of the more recent ones with my Nikon D300s DSLR. Focus especially has always stood out for me with DSLRs for being so fast. I have only had my new Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge for a few days but the focus and low light exposure capability have astounded me. For a smartphone it most likely today has no equal and definitely raises the bar.
The focus speed is incredible. One of the best things about the camera. No other smartphone comes close right now.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Use AIDA64. After you give the app permission to access the camera, you'll be able to see which one you have listed under "Devices." The Camera ID for the Sony sensor will show up as SONY_IMX260. The Samsung ISOCELL sensor starts with SLSI.
Where do you give it access to the camera? I'm using it on my S6, if that makes a difference

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Where do you give it access to the camera? I'm using it on my S6, if that makes a difference

On a device running Marshmallow, it asks for permission to access the camera when opening up the Devices section in the app for the first time. On a non-Marshmallow device, I would think it says the camera is one of the permissions required when first installing the app, but I can't say for sure since both of my current Android phones are on Marshmallow.