Galaxy S5 vs the HTC One M8

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'm playing with S5 now. . Screen looks incredible. .. Great feel in hand. ...

N3 tap

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I tell ya both great phones ...you can't go wrong either way ..I'd definitely take the s5 camera for my preference but m8 and sound quality is top notch ..

N3 tap

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
How did you come to your decision, what stands out for to?
The M8 screen is longer and narrower. I prefer the shorter and wider S5 screen. The removable battery is a plus as well.

karte

Reaction score
Battery guys, battery, please talk about the battery of S5. I still have my Galaxy nexus and wanna make 100% sure before I buy another Samsung. Is the battery life above average?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Battery guys, battery, please talk about the battery of S5. I still have my Galaxy nexus and wanna make 100% sure before I buy another Samsung. Is the battery life above average?
Sammy claims 12 hours. I guess we will find out now that we have some members who received theirs.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have them both at the moment, trying to decide on one. Honestly I've been a bit disappointed in the S5's camera. It's super fast, and dark shots show up lighter (though terribly noisy w/o stabilization mode, and even then and still not as good as the M8 or 5S). But bright outdoor shots are noisier than the S4 when you zoom in a bit. When I compare to outdoor shots on the M8, you sure can't tell a 12 megapixel difference. Indoor shots are difficult to get a focus, even in decent light, unless you have stabilization mode enabled - which forces you to hold the phone still for 3-4 seconds every time. It's like Night Mode from the S4, only you need it more often. The other problem I'm having is load time - it takes me a good 5-6 seconds to go from screen off to ready-to-shoot every time. On the M8 and 5S I can have a shot in 2-3 seconds. It feels like it's hanging, but I can't figure out why.

Other than that, I love the phone - everything about it. The look, the feel, the form factor. I also love the more narrow and rounded feel of the M8, but it is incredibly slippery, and pretty tall. The S5 is not as snappy and responsive as the M8 - but that doesn't mean it's not snappy and responsive. It's an improvement over the S4, the same way the M8 is an improvement over the M7.

Battery life on both are solid, easily getting a day for my usage. The M8 seems to "idle" better than the S5, though.

I've become very hooked on the lock screen gestures on the M8. Once you get used to that type of thing (similar to the Moto X), you get pretty spoiled. It doesn't help that there appears to be a bit of lag with the home button when unlocking the S5 - and yes I have S-Voice disabled.

All of that said, I still like the (get ready for this) more rugged appeal of the S5. With 3 kids and sports and all that, having a dust and water proof phone is pretty nice, so I haven't given up on it yet!

Any help on this lockscreen / camera opening lag would be much appreciated as well, as I'm reading from others that it's not common among everyone. I have the Verizon variant.

kingwellenergy

Reaction score
I prefer Galaxy S5,love its the waterproofing and the incredible battery life.In addition I like its appearance too.