Galaxy S5 Root Bounty Thread Closed Indefinetly!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

aQmpOr9.jpg

As if it weren't tough enough for us Verizon Galaxy S5 owners, some dummy had to go and get the Root Bounty thread closed. The thread had reached over $17,000 for root on the S5. This no doubt has been motivation for several developers and exploit experts to work on this root method. The xda thread was full of many users who have good intentions. These users have desperately been throwing out any and every idea that they can think of. The thread quickly got away from its original intent as a bounty thread with meaningful exploit conversation. It quickly became a fantasy ridden brainstorm fest. After many warnings by xda moderators to return to the original intent of the thread the thread has been closed until further notice. This is unfortunate since this has so far been the only means of any work on the Root method. Hopefully the thread will open again soon, and Gs5 users hopeful of a Root method will be able to stay on topic. I have a feeling that any developers working on this will continue their work. This could just mean an even greater delay on the release of the method.

Via XDA

Danvee

Reaction score
Bad news indeed....
That's the sole reason for my holding back on purchasing an S5 (and I can't afford a non-subsidized Developer's Edition)

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Can't say I didn't this one coming, as it's been closed literally dozens of times since it began. The ridiculous part was, people who had no clue about solving this dilemma kept posting their "ideas" and it was this problem which finally closed the thread for good. TBH, I was surprised it remained open this long due to countless warnings by the XDA moderators. It was also stated countless times that Developers are working on this "behind the scenes", so whether this thread remained opened or closed is not going to impact their progress at all.
Hopefully the devs come up with a breakthrough soon.

tap'n

Last edited:

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Thanks CR - good to know about it's closure. I agree in hoping that the really talented group of guys over at XDA solve the dilema and figure out how to root that puppy. :)

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
It's unfortunate, but hopefully they continue to work behind the scenes.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I said this would happen, no one was able to root the S4, what made people think they would succeed with the S5, no way to get around Knox, and Google's slow lockdown of it's OS . In due time, rooting and running different roms will be a thing of the past, especially the way that Google is going with their operating system, they had it open long enough as to be able to gain market share, the lockdowns are already starting, the writing is on the wall, here comes Silver.

RemyL75

Reaction score
Wait, so the S4 never got root?? Then there are a LOT of guides on XDA that are lying lol

I think the developers will come through. They just haven't had a challenge like this in a while. Challenges like this may be frustrating, but they can also lead to pretty big breakthroughs. What one man can make, another can unmake.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
The latest software update for the S4 from VZW can't be rooted. I found out the hard way when my S4 broke and I had to submit a claim.
My replacement phone came from the factory with the latest firmware and as of right now... still no root.

I won't be buying an S5, they can keep their locked down bloat phone. My prediction is slowly coming true...