Galaxy S5 Replacing Recents With Menu, and Long press Home with Recents

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you upgraded to the Galaxy S5 from the Galaxy S4 you may be having a bit of trouble getting used to the left capacitive button change. On the S4 it was a menu button, but now on the S5 it is the button for accessing the recent apps menu. If you would rather change the button back to the way it was on the S4 then learn the new button layout, the mod is actually pretty simple. All you have to do is edit a few system files. This does require root so if you are on the Verizon Galaxy S5 this won't be useful for you, however this will work on any other variant as long as your S5 is rooted.

To Replace the Recents button with Menu

-Navigate to system/user/keylayout/Generic.kl
-Edit Key 254 from App_Switch to Menu
-Navigate to system/user/keylayout/gpio-keys.kl
-Edit Key 254 from App_Switch to Menu

To Set Long Press Home to Recents

-Navigate to smali/com/android/internal/policy/PhoneWindowManager.smali

Search for and delete if-ne v2, v5, :cond_6

Via XDA

Bara65

Reaction score
I prefer the default set up on S5 buttons too. It's more in line with the way Google designed.

Kam434

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
GT-i9505
how do you re map the menu button long press?
for example if I wanted to make a single press on menu open recent apps, and a long press for options like on the S5?

caporalea

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5
I hate to be a grave digger, but this has seriously been driving me nuts. There is no smali folder in my Sprint GS5's root. I've searched all the route folders and cannot find it. Any suggestions? I would use xposed but it screws with my phone, even with the SecuredStorage fix.

dacorsa

Reaction score
Thanks very useful!

Inviato dal mio SM-G910F con Rom ALEXNDR POK1