Galaxy s4 to Moto X?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Yeah people steer clear when they see "dual core", they're not aware of the architecture of the x8 chipset and how efficient the phone is in just about everything it does. I think that's just about the only reason why it didn't sell as well because people see "quad core" and immediately think better performance.
They steered clear because of the 'Samsung effect'

Samsung is the Apple of Android. Samsung has marketed and branded the Galaxy so well, they are crushing everyone in the Android space

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Dez....I'd get a G2 first ..bigger screen and great battery ...price will be around same as you pay for smaller screen on Moto X

M8 tap'd

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
They steered clear because of the 'Samsung effect'

Samsung is the Apple of Android. Samsung has marketed and branded the Galaxy so well, they are crushing everyone in the Android space
Yeah and with that approach comes minimal changes with each upgrade. Plus the radios they use are still poor, and it's been frustrating lately which is why I've put some serious consideration.

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Dez....I'd get a G2 first ..bigger screen and great battery ...price will be around same as you pay for smaller screen on Moto X

M8 tap'd
Not too worried about screen size, I'd mostly switch for the user experience. Which I hear that Moto X delivers on just about everyday with its smooth and fluid experience. I'm running Google Launcher on my s4 so it runs a bit smoother than on TW, but still, the hiccups are getting annoying. (And yes I'm rooted and use all the tricks to get it running as smooth as possible). I still like this phone, but sometimes it just takes so long to switch between apps or even pull up SwiftKey to type in a text message, it's kinda ridiculous for a top tier phone from 2013.

I'm sure the G2 is a great phone, but I'm personally against getting LG. Too many times I've been burned by them with their old flip phones, a few appliances, and various electronics, I'm done with them. Don't get me wrong, I don't steer business away from them (I've recommend the G3 to many), but I just won't be a customer of theirs.

Parth18

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X XT-1052
Moto X is far better than galaxy s4 so I would prefer MOTO X

stonedoubt

Reaction score
I just switched from an S4 to a Moto X because I have read that a GSM SIM works better in the Moto X... not sure if that is true yet...

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I just switched from an S4 to a Moto X because I have read that a GSM SIM works better in the Moto X... not sure if that is true yet...
Was that your only motive to switching?

I pretty much decided to hold out and just hang onto the s4. Especially with the new X+1 coming out soon. I'm always on the lookout for a used moto x though, or if another sale goes on right before the X+1 is released.

stonedoubt

Reaction score
Was that your only motive to switching?

I pretty much decided to hold out and just hang onto the s4. Especially with the new X+1 coming out soon. I'm always on the lookout for a used moto x though, or if another sale goes on right before the X+1 is released.
Yes, it was my only reason for switching when I did it... because I read that the S4 couldn't connect to Telcel (Mexico) for data (LTE) and that the Moto X could with the 4.4.4 update... I haven't gotten confirmation from anyone on this yet... but this was the reason. I want to get data services without paying a zillion dollars when I am in mexico for 2 weeks.

However, after having the device for 2 days now... I am digging it. I should have gotten this phone when I got the S4.

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yes, it was my only reason for switching when I did it... because I read that the S4 couldn't connect to Telcel (Mexico) for data (LTE) and that the Moto X could with the 4.4.4 update... I haven't gotten confirmation from anyone on this yet... but this was the reason. I want to get data services without paying a zillion dollars when I am in mexico for 2 weeks.

However, after having the device for 2 days now... I am digging it. I should have gotten this phone when I got the S4.
That's the reason I started this thread. I wanted to know the experience of those who switched, and yes I know it's subjective.

Since then my decision has been made, but I was just glad to hear that those who switched from a "powerhouse" of a phone to a "midrange" device were happy with their switch.

I've since flashed a ROM on my s4 and am happy that I did. However, I do miss some of the stock features such as the great camera software the s4 came equipped with. I'm running Cyanogenmod for those that are curious.

stonedoubt

Reaction score
That's the reason I started this thread. I wanted to know the experience of those who switched, and yes I know it's subjective.

Since then my decision has been made, but I was just glad to hear that those who switched from a "powerhouse" of a phone to a "midrange" device were happy with their switch.

I've since flashed a ROM on my s4 and am happy that I did. However, I do miss some of the stock features such as the great camera software the s4 came equipped with. I'm running Cyanogenmod for those that are curious.
I still have my S4. I do like that phone. One thing that I noticed right away is that the in-call sound is kind of low... but I had 2 people tell me that I sounded more clear on the Moto X. Another downside is that - with the S4 - I would still have wifi connectivity when I walked outside my townhouse but it drops immediately on the Moto X.

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I still have my S4. I do like that phone. One thing that I noticed right away is that the in-call sound is kind of low... but I had 2 people tell me that I sounded more clear on the Moto X. Another downside is that - with the S4 - I would still have wifi connectivity when I walked outside my townhouse but it drops immediately on the Moto X.
Hmm interesting.

Call quality, for myself at least, doesn't matter too much, and I believe both perform fairly equally. It's the signal quality I'm more concerned about and Samsung is known for not using the best radios. Moto on the other hand has always had good radios.

stonedoubt

Reaction score
Hmm interesting.

Call quality, for myself at least, doesn't matter too much, and I believe both perform fairly equally. It's the signal quality I'm more concerned about and Samsung is known for not using the best radios. Moto on the other hand has always had good radios.
I am getting good signal on the Moto X. I haven't had a dropped call yet... I frequently got them with the S4.