Galaxy S4 screen won't turn off during calls

Sentry616

Reaction score
My wife and I both have a Galaxy s4 and her screen won't turn off during calls but mine does. We both have the "Turn off screen during calls" box checked and all the air view and smart screen features turned off. Doing a factory reset is a last resort, is there something we are missing?

OP
S

Sentry616

Reaction score
My wife and I both have a Galaxy s4 and her screen won't turn off during calls but mine does. We both have the "Turn off screen during calls" box checked and all the air view and smart screen features turned off. Doing a factory reset is a last resort, is there something we are missing?

GVLBob

Reaction score
The feature uses the proximity sensor. If you use her phone, does the screen turn off?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

OP
S

Sentry616

Reaction score
No. Her screen does not turn off during calls no matter who uses it.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Have you activated any developer options? There is a setting to keep the screen on that appears to override other settings. I assume you are having this happen when holding the phone to your ear. Not while holding it in front of you?

OP
S

Sentry616

Reaction score
No. On the off chance she did pocket dial a developer option or something before the last update took the option away I reactivated it to check and, no, none of the options were checked.
Yes, it happens when holding the phone to your ear resulting in the keypad being activated by touch followed by lots of beeping as she dials numbers with her cheek. Most annoying.

luddy

Reaction score
Mine did that until I removed the screen protector it came with.

reybie

Reaction score
Are there apps that use the proximity sensor out there. Maybe you can troubleshoot it that way, the sensor might be hosed.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Lets check one more time for grins, if the option is there on your phone. Settings - My Device - Call - Turn off screen during calls

harrellj

Reaction score
Dumb question, there's no case blocking the proximity sensor, yes?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

OP
S

Sentry616

Reaction score
Lets check one more time for grins, if the option is there on your phone. Settings - My Device - Call - Turn off screen during calls

Yes, very funny. First thing I checked. I'm not a total dumb ass. The wife not so much.