Galaxy S4 Battery Life?

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Now that we have a few phones in the hands of real users, give us some input on the battery life of the S4. I'll be coming from a Razr Maxx which is probably the highest standard to compare to. I also had a Thunderbolt which is the bottom of the battery comparison guide. I get at least two days out of my Maxx which is really nice. I realize it's hard to get solid data on battery life since everyone uses the phone differently, but hopefully everyone is getting at least a full day out of heavy use on a new phone.

skipbl92

Reaction score
I have the Razr MAXX also and I am curious about battery life of the S4 as well. The battery on the maxx is very nice and one of the reasons why I haven't pulled the trigger on getting an S4.

BLeClair12

Reaction score
Yesterday was my first full day with with it. Unplugged at 8:45am. WiFi off/data on from 10am-5pm (while at work). Light to moderate usage throughout the day. Heavy texting and app usage when I got home - including benchmarks, testing out videos on YouTube, Netflix, etc. Played with the camera quite a bit. I was attempting to kill it, but ended up plugging it in when I went to bed at 1:00am with 26% left.

jseah

Reaction score
My daughter got hers at 5:30 tonight and never plugged it in, so she was just going on the amount of charge the battery came with. With heavy use from downloading apps and setting up the phone, the phone shut off after about 3 hours. She has it on the charger now.

BLeClair12

Reaction score
I got a slightly less impressive performance out of mine today, though still nowhere near comparable to the Bionic. 72% of my battery usage was consumed by "Android System" - most of which includes processes I'm not even familiar with, though I assume they're necessary to function.

At 48% right now after 13 hours unplugged, with light usage. Some texting, and a couple quick Facebook checks. No phone calls.

droidworld

Reaction score
I got a slightly less impressive performance out of mine today, though still nowhere near comparable to the Bionic. 72% of my battery usage was consumed by "Android System" - most of which includes processes I'm not even familiar with, though I assume they're necessary to function.

At 48% right now after 13 hours unplugged, with light usage. Some texting, and a couple quick Facebook checks. No phone calls.

Maybe there's apps running that your not aware of

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

PatG

Reaction score
There are probably plenty of apps running. Anyone know what apps can be disabled?

BLeClair12

Reaction score
There are probably plenty of apps running. Anyone know what apps can be disabled?

Here's what I currently have disabled...

Audible
Flipboard
Google Play Music (I wouldn't normally disable this, but I don't use it and it seemed to be running in the background constantly)
HP Print Service
Match 3VS
S Voice
Samsung Games
Samsung Music
Samsung Print Service

If anyone else has any recommendations for disabling, that'd be great.

I'm also running the Snapdragon Battery Guru Beta that was discussed here. It just finished "learning" my device, now it says to check back in 24 hours to see how it's performing.

jseah

Reaction score
I got a text from my daughter this morning at 11:30 am saying her battery was at 19%. I know she charged it up last night, but I don't know if she left it on the charger overnight while she slept or if she left it unplugged all night. I need to get her to download the Snapdragon battery app.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's not going to match up with the Maxx, probably ever. Smaller battery and bigger / higher ppi screen. But it's been more than solid for me. I'm on T-Mobile, not Verizon, and LTE isn't out here yet. Obviously LTE will have an affect. But I've been getting a day easy. I don't stream much, but I can't stop playing with it, so I know I'm not doing "light" usage right now.

Let me put it this way, you won't be seeing reports about widespread "battery life issues" with the S4.

cryates24

Reaction score
21 hours of use with just under 4 hours of screen time and I was at 22% before plugging it in. Not bad and the phone charges very quickly.

jseah

Reaction score
I got a text from my daughter this morning at 11:30 am saying her battery was at 19%. I know she charged it up last night, but I don't know if she left it on the charger overnight while she slept or if she left it unplugged all night. I need to get her to download the Snapdragon battery app.

So I did confirm with my daughter that she did plug it in last night when she was sleeping. But what happened was she had some sort of online game running in the background all morning. So that explains the fast battery drain when you have an app pulling data continuously for several hours.

hondabomdc5

Reaction score
17 hours of pretty heavy use on first full charge. I'm super happy with that. Sent a lot of texts, talked a decent amount, checked facebook and instagram a couple times, played words with friends for like 10 min and messed around with the settings and features... Screen time on was almost 3.5 hours. I'm definitely happy with this. I let it die and now I'm letting it fully charge. I'm expecting battery to only get better.

jseah

Reaction score
When my daughter came home, she plugged her phone in to recharge it to 100%. After about 3-1/2 hours, it was down to 30%. Her screen usage was at 49%, she has it set to auto brightness and Android system battery usage was around 30%. She was connected to WiFi, and I have no idea what is killing her battery so fast. I know inside the house, our phones will constantly switch between 3G and 4G. But by comparison, my Note II screen usage is at 10%.