Galaxy S4 Battery Life?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S4' started by jkaod, May 23, 2013.

1. jkaod

jkaod Active Member

Now that we have a few phones in the hands of real users, give us some input on the battery life of the S4. I'll be coming from a Razr Maxx which is probably the highest standard to compare to. I also had a Thunderbolt which is the bottom of the battery comparison guide. I get at least two days out of my Maxx which is really nice. I realize it's hard to get solid data on battery life since everyone uses the phone differently, but hopefully everyone is getting at least a full day out of heavy use on a new phone.
  2. skipbl92

skipbl92 New Member

I have the Razr MAXX also and I am curious about battery life of the S4 as well. The battery on the maxx is very nice and one of the reasons why I haven't pulled the trigger on getting an S4.
  3. BLeClair12

BLeClair12 New Member

Yesterday was my first full day with with it. Unplugged at 8:45am. WiFi off/data on from 10am-5pm (while at work). Light to moderate usage throughout the day. Heavy texting and app usage when I got home - including benchmarks, testing out videos on YouTube, Netflix, etc. Played with the camera quite a bit. I was attempting to kill it, but ended up plugging it in when I went to bed at 1:00am with 26% left.
  4. y0yoyo

y0yoyo New Member

12 hours and im at 32% with pretty heavy usage. Loving it!
    1 person likes this.
  5. jseah

jseah New Member

My daughter got hers at 5:30 tonight and never plugged it in, so she was just going on the amount of charge the battery came with. With heavy use from downloading apps and setting up the phone, the phone shut off after about 3 hours. She has it on the charger now.
  6. BLeClair12

BLeClair12 New Member

I got a slightly less impressive performance out of mine today, though still nowhere near comparable to the Bionic. 72% of my battery usage was consumed by "Android System" - most of which includes processes I'm not even familiar with, though I assume they're necessary to function.

At 48% right now after 13 hours unplugged, with light usage. Some texting, and a couple quick Facebook checks. No phone calls.
  7. droidworld

droidworld New Member

Maybe there's apps running that your not aware of

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums
  8. PatG

PatG Member

There are probably plenty of apps running. Anyone know what apps can be disabled?
  9. BLeClair12

BLeClair12 New Member

Here's what I currently have disabled...

Audible
    Flipboard
    Google Play Music (I wouldn't normally disable this, but I don't use it and it seemed to be running in the background constantly)
    HP Print Service
    Match 3VS
    S Voice
    Samsung Games
    Samsung Music
    Samsung Print Service

If anyone else has any recommendations for disabling, that'd be great.

I'm also running the Snapdragon Battery Guru Beta that was discussed here. It just finished "learning" my device, now it says to check back in 24 hours to see how it's performing.
    1 person likes this.
  10. jseah

jseah New Member

I got a text from my daughter this morning at 11:30 am saying her battery was at 19%. I know she charged it up last night, but I don't know if she left it on the charger overnight while she slept or if she left it unplugged all night. I need to get her to download the Snapdragon battery app.
  11. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

It's not going to match up with the Maxx, probably ever. Smaller battery and bigger / higher ppi screen. But it's been more than solid for me. I'm on T-Mobile, not Verizon, and LTE isn't out here yet. Obviously LTE will have an affect. But I've been getting a day easy. I don't stream much, but I can't stop playing with it, so I know I'm not doing "light" usage right now.

Let me put it this way, you won't be seeing reports about widespread "battery life issues" with the S4.
    2 people like this.
  12. cryates24

cryates24 New Member

21 hours of use with just under 4 hours of screen time and I was at 22% before plugging it in. Not bad and the phone charges very quickly.
    1 person likes this.
  13. jseah

jseah New Member

So I did confirm with my daughter that she did plug it in last night when she was sleeping. But what happened was she had some sort of online game running in the background all morning. So that explains the fast battery drain when you have an app pulling data continuously for several hours.
  14. hondabomdc5

hondabomdc5 New Member

17 hours of pretty heavy use on first full charge. I'm super happy with that. Sent a lot of texts, talked a decent amount, checked facebook and instagram a couple times, played words with friends for like 10 min and messed around with the settings and features... Screen time on was almost 3.5 hours. I'm definitely happy with this. I let it die and now I'm letting it fully charge. I'm expecting battery to only get better.
    1 person likes this.
  15. jseah

jseah New Member

When my daughter came home, she plugged her phone in to recharge it to 100%. After about 3-1/2 hours, it was down to 30%. Her screen usage was at 49%, she has it set to auto brightness and Android system battery usage was around 30%. She was connected to WiFi, and I have no idea what is killing her battery so fast. I know inside the house, our phones will constantly switch between 3G and 4G. But by comparison, my Note II screen usage is at 10%.
  16. Tankwylde

Tankwylde New Member

Maybe turn off Mobile Data while connected to wifi?
  17. newtodroidx

newtodroidx New Member

I just redirected my phone today. Charged it up to 100 percent and have pretty much been setting it up and messing with it all day so from about 430pm to now it is already down to 18 percent. ..I think that is okay considering I have been using it practically the full 7 hours almost. I hope it does better tomorrow when I am not using it as much.
  18. DevonM

DevonM New Member

Not sure if this is well known, but does WiFi or 4G use more power? I know it would depend on multiple factors like distance of transmission and so on, but maybe there are some simplified charts somewhere that detail the energy required to receive/transmit both types of signals for comparison?
  19. cryates24

cryates24 New Member

Ive always heard that wifi is better. I am on it 80% of the day and at least in my personal use it is better on my battery and I live in an area with a strong LTE connection.
    1 person likes this.
  20. DevonM

DevonM New Member

Interesting, thanks. Anyone else have more info?

I noticed my battery dropped a lot while I was sleeping, not really sure what it is, but here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

As you can see there was a large drop off with a lot of screen time right before I went to sleep, and then again near the end when I got up. I don't know why either of those times drained so much since I had the screen exceptionally dim the whole time.
    But as you can see there's a fairly steady ramp down throughout the night.
    Usage percentages from the other screen are:
    Android System - 74%
    Screen - 17%
    Device idle - 2%
    Android OS - 2%

So it seems I need to seriously find out what's running the system so hard. Also, what does the big green block in Mobile network signal mean, and what's the standard tan compared to it?
    Thankfully the phone charges pretty quickly, but I definitely don't expect drops to be that drastic during some light use and while sleeping.
    Please advise!
Search tags for this page

galaxy s4 battery life sucks

s4 battery

s4 battery life sucks

s4 constantly awake

samsung s4 battery dies fast

why does my galaxy s4 battery die so fast

why does my new galaxy s4 run out of battery fast

why does my s4 die so fast

why does my samsung galaxy battery die so fast
why does my samsung s4 battery die so fast