galaxy s4 battery drain fix

kms1990

Reaction score
i think me and my dad who both have s4's have figured out what this update did to drain the battery life, i have juice defender (free) and battery defender(free) he only had battery defender(free) which doesnt turn off or on any radios automatically. juice defender (free) as many know will toggle on and off battery draining mobile data ect radios when screen is off. Well I have had juice defender since i got the phone so i knew juice defender was why my wifi would say connected to "network name here" network when i turn screen on so never thought about android or the device itself doing it. Well my dad informed me that before the update his was turning off networks when the screen was off on its own (must be a samsung or an android 4.2.2 thing already) but after the update is was no longer doing this and his battery wasnt lasting all day anymore meanwhile i updated mine at the same time and can still go 36-50 hours on a charge depending on use. so (were testing this theory tomorrow) my conclusion so far is that the update took this automatic radio control out somehow(his google services were eating up battery in huge bites after update too, so i turned off location service for his phone. and we got him juice defender so we will see. but my battery life has been consistent since i got this phone.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have heard more issues coming up than help with users who use JuiceDefender. I did run it way back in the day with my Dinc, but I ended up uninstalling it after a few days because it was draining my battery faster than anything. I personally use Greenify (must be rooted) and BatteryGuru, both has saved me a ton of battery. As I type this I am on 26hrs with 50% battery life left with moderate use last night to right now.

Now onto the update issue. Alot of others have mentioned their phones have had issues after receiving and installing the update. I've heard many issues being resolved through a factory reset. As much as we all hate to do it, after an OTA it is a good idea to do so, to make sure there is a clean install. Bad battery life was one of the issues reported by those who accepted the update.

So, for your dad's phone, I suggest he gets rid of Battery Defender and seeing what kind of battery life he's getting. If the bad battery life still persists, then I recommend an FDR.

And for the record, I am running stock rooted, but I did not accept the update. Again, all I'm running in terms of "battery apps" is Greenify and BatteryGuru, both have given me zero issues and have increased my battery life significantly I would say.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree. After using JD in the past it can be more trouble than it's worth. Since I'm not rooted I olnly use Battery Guru but I manage how and when everything syncs and only suffer <4% battery loss overnight. I can live with every other day charging. ;)

kbatrph

Reaction score
so glad that this "great" update "fixed" things....i have heard nothing but complaints about it, including from a couple of Verizon employees.....maybe these idiots should try things out before just throwing it out there

Reaction score
i think me and my dad who both have s4's have figured out what this update did to drain the battery life, i have juice defender (free) and battery defender(free) he only had battery defender(free) which doesnt turn off or on any radios automatically. juice defender (free) as many know will toggle on and off battery draining mobile data ect radios when screen is off. Well I have had juice defender since i got the phone so i knew juice defender was why my wifi would say connected to "network name here" network when i turn screen on so never thought about android or the device itself doing it. Well my dad informed me that before the update his was turning off networks when the screen was off on its own (must be a samsung or an android 4.2.2 thing already) but after the update is was no longer doing this and his battery wasnt lasting all day anymore meanwhile i updated mine at the same time and can still go 36-50 hours on a charge depending on use. so (were testing this theory tomorrow) my conclusion so far is that the update took this automatic radio control out somehow(his google services were eating up battery in huge bites after update too, so i turned off location service for his phone. and we got him juice defender so we will see. but my battery life has been consistent since i got this phone.

I used to use Juicedefender a lot and even recommended it to a few customers who were complaining of battery life. It did help my phone's battery, but it would mess the phone up every so often to where a reboot fixed it. I found another app that does the exact same thing as juicedefender, but without the quirks. It's called Battery Doctor. Free off of the playstore and I have been running it on my razr, razr maxx and now my S4. After your experiment, I would say give that app a try also and see if it helps you like it does me.