Galaxy S4 Battery 2600 mAh... is it enough?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some of us have been spoiled by the huge batteries for Motorola devices... do you guys think the 2600 mAh battery on the SGS4 is good enough? It is bigger than the SGS3, so that's a good sign.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Some of us have been spoiled by the huge batteries for Motorola devices... do you guys think the 2600 mAh battery on the SGS4 is good enough? It is bigger than the SGS3, so that's a good sign.

It'll be more than plenty I believe.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
note 2 with 5.5 has a 3100 mah battery that is literally a 2 day battery. 2600 in the s4 is more than enough for an average days use.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score

The reason motto needed to put those huge batteries in their devices is because they were not removable, I know that when I run out of juice on my S3 all I need to do is open the back and install a fresh battery, only takes 30 seconds, same will be with the S4.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
if I can make it a day with my Galaxy Nexus then I can probably make it 3 days with an SG4:D

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
It still surprised me why everyone still talks about the battery on any Samsung device, when we all know that you can just pop open the back and install a fresh new battery. Now if you are talking about an HTC phone then I would understand.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It still surprised me why everyone still talks about the battery on any Samsung device, when we all know that you can just pop open the back and install a fresh new battery. Now if you are talking about an HTC phone then I would understand.

This is true, but we are a spoiled bunch in the first place with our smartphones and we'll gripe about anything that we think should improve:p

95gsrturbo

Reaction score
For those of you who say the 2600 mAh battery is enough I have some comments:

Im currently using an HTC Sensation 4G with a 2450 mAh battery. I also have 4 OEM batteries that were given to me over time. All in good condition.

1) I charge my phone at night- if i can just swap out the batt with a fresh one when one dies, wouldn't that one have to be charged too? so therefore when I connect my phone to the charger at night I need to then get up in the middle of the night - switch the charged batt out for a dead one so that it can charge too?? otherwise how will i be able to swap out for a fresh one.

It seems more likely to carry around a charge/sync cord

the 2450 batt I have now will not last a full day when constantly checking emails, facebook , making calls etc. I need a charge mid day.

With todays innovation, and use of phones (as they are no longer phones but hand held computers/video games) the battery needs to last more than one full day - more like 2 full days with use. What about those times when you go out at night after a long day at work, find a hot girl and hook up at the bar, then crash at her place-- you need more battery life because you need to call a cab to get you home.

Or when you travel to Europe/Hawaii and play on the phone the entire time (8-12 hour flight) and its dead when you get there....

With the competition of Droid RAZR Maxx having a 3300 mAH battery-- im a bit disappointed in the battery of this phone-- hopefully the firmware will have battery saving properties and make it last longer than others.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was hoping for 3000 of better but its not that bad

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
For those of you who say the 2600 mAh battery is enough I have some comments:<br>
<br>
Im currently using an HTC Sensation 4G with a 2450 mAh battery. I also have 4 OEM batteries that were given to me over time. All in good condition.<br>
<br>
1) I charge my phone at night- if i can just swap out the batt with a fresh one when one dies, wouldn't that one have to be charged too? so therefore when I connect my phone to the charger at night I need to then get up in the middle of the night - switch the charged batt out for a dead one so that it can charge too?? otherwise how will i be able to swap out for a fresh one.<br>
<br>
It seems more likely to carry around a charge/sync cord<br>
<br>
the 2450 batt I have now will not last a full day when constantly checking emails, facebook , making calls etc. I need a charge mid day.<br>
<br>
With todays innovation, and use of phones (as they are no longer phones but hand held computers/video games) the battery needs to last more than one full day - more like 2 full days with use. What about those times when you go out at night after a long day at work, find a hot girl and hook up at the bar, then crash at her place-- you need more battery life because you need to call a cab to get you home.<br>
<br>
Or when you travel to Europe/Hawaii and play on the phone the entire time (8-12 hour flight) and its dead when you get there....<br>
<br>
With the competition of Droid RAZR Maxx having a 3300 mAH battery-- im a bit disappointed in the battery of this phone-- hopefully the firmware will have battery saving properties and make it last longer than others.
Well first thing is what users get as their battery life is completely subjective. A 2600 mAh battery may last someone a whole day or longer while for someone who uses their phone constantly could possibly only make it through half a day and need a charge. It all depends on the user.

Secondly, you're using an HTC device which is notorious for pretty bad battery life across all their devices. Coming from a former Incredible owner and know a few close friends who use their Rezounds about the same way I do, my Nexus outlasts their battery. HTC has always been plagued by poor battery life for whatever reason.

And regarding your charging scenarios, yes originally you'd need to swap out batteries to charge them. However, a way around this is buying a separate battery charger. There's also different scenarios as to charging your other dead battery, you can always pop that dead battery in and charge while getting ready for work or something and charge in between. Therefore, using that other fully charged battery as your backup. Though as you mentioned, carrying around a charge cord would be easier.

Battery technology has hit a wall the past few years with Li-ion batteries. That's why batteries are only getting bigger as phones get bigger. I do recall reading about new battery technology that's being worked on, but it's not cost effective yet. Even with a Razr Maxx with its 3300 mAh battery, if you're on it the whole flight to say Europe, it won't last you. It'll last you longer than your Sensation with its 2450mAh battery, but in the end it will die as well before you land in Europe if you're on it the whole time.

Also manufacturers have found ways to make the battery last longer with their software, take the Note II for example with its amazing battery life. I know of a few Note II users who are still amazed at the battery life they're getting compared to any other Android device.

All comes down to battery life being subjective. With my use on my phone I can make my Galaxy Nexus (notorious for bad battery life) with a shot battery last a day, a 2600mAh battery with battery saving software is more than enough for me.

wvdroidman

Reaction score
my droid razr sometimes dies at 1 or 2 in the afternoon after 8 hours of use if I am on facebook or the internet alot. Makes me think I made a mistake buying a razr with a non-removable battery.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
For those of you who say the 2600 mAh battery is enough I have some comments:

Im currently using an HTC Sensation 4G with a 2450 mAh battery. I also have 4 OEM batteries that were given to me over time. All in good condition.

1) I charge my phone at night- if i can just swap out the batt with a fresh one when one dies, wouldn't that one have to be charged too? so therefore when I connect my phone to the charger at night I need to then get up in the middle of the night - switch the charged batt out for a dead one so that it can charge too?? otherwise how will i be able to swap out for a fresh one.

It seems more likely to carry around a charge/sync cord

the 2450 batt I have now will not last a full day when constantly checking emails, facebook , making calls etc. I need a charge mid day.

With todays innovation, and use of phones (as they are no longer phones but hand held computers/video games) the battery needs to last more than one full day - more like 2 full days with use. What about those times when you go out at night after a long day at work, find a hot girl and hook up at the bar, then crash at her place-- you need more battery life because you need to call a cab to get you home.

Or when you travel to Europe/Hawaii and play on the phone the entire time (8-12 hour flight) and its dead when you get there....

Why would you have to get up in the middle of the night to switch batteries in the phone, this is what I use Universal Cell Phone Wall Travel Battery Charger for Samsung N7100 i9100 I9300 | eBay , it works like a charm.

themuttt

Reaction score
isn't the new screen supposed to be a bit less power hungry?

wvdroidman

Reaction score
Will the battery be better than the razr battery? The razr battery stinks sometimes only lasting 7 hours or less.

lostsouls70

Reaction score
I had to get the 4500mah battery to make my s3 last a day. I cant figure out why didnt they drastically improve there battery this time. It makes no sence.