Galaxy S4 batteries on lollipop??

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
OK! So, many of us have lollipop now on our S4's. Me and my friend have both noticed some discrepancies. Looking for input from other users! ;)

SO...I noticed it took 5% of my overall battery to complete a 30 min voice call. And 10-12% of my battery to sleep for 8ish hours. Overall usage is around 3.5 hours of screen on time. And for the life of me, all that is listed under the usage does not add up to what the battery has drained % wise.

Please ppst your results, and observances here!! Looking forward to reading!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Interesting results Kaos. 3.5hrs SO time seems a bit weak, especially since Lollipop was "supposed" to improve battery life. Just from an observational standpoint, are you noticing a significant decrease in battery life over KitKat?
Thanks again for sharing your results.

S5 tap'n

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Mine, on AT&T, has not moved much one way or the other. I still get around 40 hours or so but I have the same battery saving tricks in place that I've had since I got the phone.. Actually making a call seems to use less battery than just about anything else. 8 hours of sleep uses around 2% sometimes less. A lot of that is dependent on signal strength.

I use some of the same tricks on my LG Optimus Plus and most of the time after being in sleep mode all night and using it for my alarm I still sometimes have 100% when I wake up.

As a side note, I never turn WiFi or location services off.

Reactions: cr6
OP
KaosMaster

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I have my SCH-I545 tricks in place as well. I disabled all the extras from samsung before even installing updates. I have cleared my cache after all the updates and have minimal installs on my device. It just seems like the power usage doesn't add up anymore. Also, I am going to compare to GSam soon. The phone is completely reflashed and clean now, in an attempt to repair any issues. So....I used to get a day and a half in my battery, but now...its like a day. Was just wondering what you all think!?!? Here is a screenshot to illustrate what I mean:

f03a1f4388dbc6661e5ddbb209269db8.jpg

Notice: 1% 1% but 3% battery drain! :/

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have my SCH-I545 tricks in place as well. I disabled all the extras from samsung before even installing updates. I have cleared my cache after all the updates and have minimal installs on my device. It just seems like the power usage doesn't add up anymore. Also, I am going to compare to GSam soon. The phone is completely reflashed and clean now, in an attempt to repair any issues. So....I used to get a day and a half in my battery, but now...its like a day. Was just wondering what you all think!?!? Here is a screenshot to illustrate what I mean:

f03a1f4388dbc6661e5ddbb209269db8.jpg

Notice: 1% 1% but 3% battery drain! :/
In this screen, the items in the list are listed as a percentage of overall battery usage. Therefore, in your picture, Screen and Chrome have each used 1% of the 3% that's been used. The values in the list will almost NEVER add up to the amount of battery used because they're a percentage of a percentage.

OP
KaosMaster

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
But...there is a 1% loss, this is because the screen is using 1% even though it is off! And what is listed...should total the usage.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
No. It shouldn't. I don't know how else to explain it. What is listed tells a percentage of the percentage that was used. The screen didn't use 1% of you total battery capacity. It used 1% of the 3% that has been used. That's a tiny fraction of the entire battery capacity, not 1% of it.

Checking it this soon after charging doesn't give a very good idea of what's truly up, though I'll admit that 7 hrs estimated left seems terrible.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
KaosMaster

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well.... on KitKat it would show all 100%

And this us what gsam days since last full charge now today.

1c0c31705aad9db62a3491e23228a6ca.jpg

28ca9cd6b68de43a4c1876c87c6cca68.jpg

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Afraid not. The list in battery usage has been percentage of percentage since they added a list to the battery stat screen. Even gsam is doing the same thing. In the first pic you posted, it says 70% used. If you add up that list, you get 100%. That's 100% of the 70% used. The battery list in settings may or may not add up to 100% because it doesn't give as much detail.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
KaosMaster

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well, this is after a few charge cycles....

Look at the power usage when the screen is off!!! Ugh, oh well.

8064eaff3392f441a6a68ce8500161ef.jpg