Galaxy S3 USB Hardware ID error - Windows 7

DannyGlover

Reaction score
I can't get my S3 to be recognized by my computer. whenever I plug into my USB port I just get a hardware ID error and I cant figure out how to fix it. Someone recommended downloading a USB driver from samsung but they said to download version 1.4.6.0 but that version is not on the samsung website anymore.

This is really frustrating. Has this happened to anyone else?

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Delete the USB drivers you have know on the PC reboot then install the newest ones. I still get that error every so often and this is the process I go through solves it for a while... Not sure what causes it to come back.

lostsouls70

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem to hardware Id errors I've tried your way of taking care of the problem but I still can't connect my phone to my computer any other advise?

JDawgSlll

Reaction score
I had the same problem I took out my sd card, rebooted the phone and it worked after an hour of yelling at my computer. I hope this helps.

lostsouls70

Reaction score
Thank you, but it didn't work I think my port is screwed up

jhon108

Reaction score
connecting s3 to pc -media and tethering

had a similar problem connecting my S3 Galaxy with drivers not installing properly and messages saying USB device malfunctioning and despite being able to charge the phone it was not being recognised as a mass storage device or offering me an option on the phone as to what i would like it to connect to the pc as, until.....
i changed my USB cable !!
go figure.... i had read some posts that had suggested this, and in the end after trying all the phone and device manager settings from debugging to reinstalling and updating drivers, this is what worked ...tried a new USB cable ..drivers installed themselves ....i then was able to select to use as media device from the phone notificaton menu....double clicked my Computer and opened Phone to display media....and was then also able to also select USB tethering to allow connection to the internet which is what kicked this all off in the first place ....
.hope this helps some others....
what i also discovered during this process was how to set the phone up as a wi fi hotspot...i just followed a neat you tube detailing this and was at least able to connect my laptop to the internet while i sorted out the rest of my problem

[video=youtube;Vu6zdECmG8E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu6zdECmG8E[/video]