Galaxy S3 screen cracked by itself.... anyone else? Verizon..

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S3' started by dscrap, Jul 20, 2012.

1. kparks

kparks Active Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Haha I was just about to post the same exact thing... It might be a issue but if it was a large problem this forum would be blowing up like crazy I've seen it before.... anyone looking for any cracked screen info on google will find this thread and post its a problem but if it was wide scale this topic would have tons of responses and that goes for the cracking cases I see pics of a few people having cracked back covers but if it was a defect or large problem there would be tons of topics and post about it on this forum I think it's just some misfortune.

2. cdipier2

cdipier2 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had a samsung stratosphere that fell from not to high and the screen shattered, it had a case on it and it the floor wasnt concrete or tile. The glass also scratches very easily. Im starting to wonder if this is common on other samsung devices

3. kernelhappy

kernelhappy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you that you can't take the experience of one person as gospel. That said, I normally look for negative reviews over positive reviews. No device is perfect and I rather know where it falls short so I can decide if the shortcomings are things that annoy me.

In this particular case I do believe there is a problem with the device though. Even if it doesn't effect 30% of the users, I've Googled around and have seen enough reports of cracking to make lead me to believe there is an issue. That doesn't mean I don't recommend the device, it's actually an awesome piece of kit, the screen is beautiful, fast as hell and the Samsung customizations aren't totally intrusive (not that I'd run a stock ROM like my wife does). Even with my personal belief that there are indications that there is a problem with the screen I'd get one if I could get a otterbox commuter and a car dock that fits like it does on my Razr.

4. tekjunkie28

tekjunkie28 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well i have my s3 setting in my verizon bag awaiting return bc of glass issues. Can someone make a poll "has ur s3 glass broken?" Yes or no?

It makes me nervous to keepthis phone. I want to but i am skeptical

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

5. huskur

huskur Senior Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I have had mine since the day it came out. I was one of the very first preorders. This phone only has a tpu case on it and it spends its non use time in my back pocket, front pocket or cargo pocket. Not a crack one. I carry it in the same manner as I did my razr maxx. The glass is thinner on the SG3 and much smoother. (naturally, since it is second generation Gorilla Glass). This seems to affect a low number of phones. I don't think it should be a major concern in purchasing.

6. honors21

honors21 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  7. tekjunkie28

tekjunkie28 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Has dont u think tho that samsung would at least help out with saying there was a bad batch or something. Or is there any relation to US or Europe versions or where it was made bring more prown to crack?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

8. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +754
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 2 XL
    Physically, all versions of the S3 are identical (except for the Korean LTE version, which is slightly thicker), so if there is a widespread problem with the screen, it should be present everywhere. Up until now, that doesn't seem to be the case. It's possible that there is a bad batch that had a slight defect in the manufacturing process, but Samsung isn't going to publicly admit to that unless it's so widespread that doing something about it becomes more advantageous than the the bad press would be about not doing anything. At this point, it doesn't seem to be common enough for it to be a major issue that Samsung is going to address (I'm not saying they shouldn't do something about it, but from the perspective of a multi-billion dollar business, it's not at the level that requires action).

9. DroidNOOB5

DroidNOOB5 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Samsung S3 Screen Crack - No Drop... Otterbox the blame?

Hi everyone!! I am a new owner of an S3 and was ecstatic to get it 2 wks ago today!! Bought an Otterbox Commuter right away and stealth shield screen protectors - I'm an adult and take great care of my phones... Last phone was 2yrs old and not a scratch ANYWHERE!! I'm just cautious.

So I was doing housework and the phone was lying up on the kitchen table... (all day!) Went to pick it up to go into the living room and saw what I thought was a hair - corner to corner ... Went to the light and was like "wtf" Took my otterbox of and peeled back screen protector to discover a small crack UNDER the screen!!! I literally CRIED my eyes out!! I am so careful with my phones and it saddens me deeply.

My husband thinks the OTTERBOX did it?! *cuz it's sooooo tight -- almost too tight!!* and I even emailed Otterbox asking if it was possible but got a generic reply about if I want a otterbox replacement provide pics; etc.. No I WANT A PHONE!! :( Now I'm afraid if I put the otterbox on it it will cause more cracking?!?! For anyone unfamiliar with the otterbox commuter for s3 - it's a rubber case which slips on = followed but a HARD case that is almost impossible to get on!! The crack occurred corner to corner right where the plastic case snaps into the corner rubber feet!! (bottom left)

I THANKFULLY! had added the insurance right after getting the phone (my son and I both got them) because the investment with cases; etc became a quick monthly salary and we felt it was important to be covered, But I truly do not feel I should have to pay for a refurbished phone just 14 days after activation!! (seriously activated August 2) But most stories online are saying they do NOT cover screens for warranty!! :(

I contacted Samsung after reading a bunch of reports about similar issues and of course they say 'No, we've heard no such reports' I told the rep that was surprising because I'd heard about that on many forums; youtube; verizon forums; etc. but that was that...:(

Should I try to talk to Verizon too!? Or do I just wait and see if it spreads then pay for a replacement?!?

Other than this serious issue I LOVE MY S3!!! :eek: The OTTERBOX - Not so much :( This phone is not strong enough for such a tight case in my opinion - Tho I will never know for sure if the case is the blame... Most cracks underneath are "stress" cracks.. It was not stressed/broke/banged in any other way than that of the otterbox....unless its a serious manufacturer's issue. :confused:

10. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +754
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 2 XL
    Merged with one of the existing threads on cracked screens. :)

Given the more numerous than normal reports of screens on the S3 cracking without any known cause, I'd venture to say that your Otterbox Commuter didn't cause the crack. Many people use that case, and this is the first I've heard of anyone thinking it might be the cause of a crack. Anything is possible, but I'd venture to say it isn't the cause of the crack.

From what the many posters have said regarding their experiences trying to get the phone replaced due to a cracked screen that appeared to happen out of nowhere, you'll have a difficult time getting anywhere with Verizon or Samsung on a replacement short of going the insurance route. But the more people that report the issue, the more of a chance that Verizon or Samsung will eventually do something. There's no guarantee of that, but every little bit should help.

11. DroidNOOB5

DroidNOOB5 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for merging, I'd read and almost posted here, but wasn't sure... (didn't want to hijack)

I'm hoping that SS or someone fesses up that tho in small numbers, this IS happening.. My son hasn't had any issues at all... I hope he doesn't as both of us love this phone... :mad:

12. hotconductor

hotconductor New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Last week we got up in the morning, we check our phones, and when my wife hit the home button on her phone it suddenly cracked from the home button out. No impact, nothing. WAS NOT DROPPED. I will take a photo tonight when I get home but it look EXACTLY like another photo posted in this thread. Ridiculous.

Has anyone else had any success with Verizon or Samsung? Visiting the Verizon store was an ordeal. I had to re-explain to each tech as they continually babied me. Apparently you are supposed to not use the phone, but rather leave it on a shelf.

Samsung's phone support was a nightmare. Worse than Dell. Much worse. Obviously they have outsourced their tech support to India, and they just ask questions on their screen and answer as directed on the screen. I was polite and asked to speak to a manager but was put on hold for 30 minutes and then hung up at that point. They have no intention of answering my calls or anyone else's.

I will be visiting my local Verizon store again to follow up, and will likely be doing this daily until they fix this. They were supposedly getting intouch with their "Samsung representative" but they haven't called me back or in any way updated me on this. So I will be visiting them daily, and asking politely every day, until they either, replace the phone or get me in direct contact with the Samsung rep so that he/she can replace the phone.

This screenshot was posted by another member here, but this is EXACTLY what my wife's phone looks like, except in white... http://www.droidforums.net/forum/at...en-two-day-old-samsung-galaxy-s3-imag0480.jpg

Search tags for this page
crack phone screen
cracked phone screen
galaxy s3 cracked

galaxy s3 cracked screen

how do you repair cracked glass on samsung s4 mini
s3 screen cracked by itself
samsung galaxy s3 screen crack by itself
samsung galaxy s3 screen cracked for no reason
samsung galaxy s3 screen hairline crack
screen galaxy s3 broken