Galaxy S3 screen cracked by itself.... anyone else? Verizon..

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S3' started by dscrap, Jul 20, 2012.

1. kparks

kparks Active Member

If u pay that for the 2 years then add the deductible ur paying more than the phone is new haha.. I'd take my chances if it breaks I'd buy another off ebay then if I broke that I'd get a junk phone till my upgrade
  2. jgmecarter

jgmecarter New Member

How much does it cost a month
  3. INCREMENTAL

INCREMENTAL Member

$7 a month for ATT

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums
  4. jgmecarter

jgmecarter New Member

same price as Verizon a month but double the deductible. That sucks
  5. Mike.757

Mike.757 Well-Known Member

My 2 daughters and I each have smart phones plus a spare Rezound. I don't pay insurance on any of the phones and save $21 per month. I can already pay full price for a phone and will have saved money. It is an individual choice but for me it pays to self insure.

But since this is an S3 thread, some dedicated person might want to start a new thread dedicated to tracking cracked screens.
  6. liftedplane

liftedplane Well-Known Member

I know that they moment I get rid if insurance I'll need it

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.
  7. kparks

kparks Active Member

The problem with that is some are true where the screen prolly just cracked and some are BS
  8. Mike.757

Mike.757 Well-Known Member

I saw a"like new" Verizon Bionic on Amazon for $200. Since the deductible would cost you $100, the actual cost is only $100 extra. Easily made up in the course of the year! Of course you cannot find an S3 for that right now but remember the Bionic is only 9 months old.
  9. liftedplane

True, however I've used the fact that vzw also extends the warranty to have certain phones on my plan replaced upwards of three times. Like my old d2g that my brother uses...

I have been trying to get a nexus lately on Ebay... Its amazing what some people will pay for a phone that says its a pos. I've got some pretty amazing deals before though

10. dscrap

dscrap New Member

Well I waited a week or so to see if there was a widespread problem with the phone's screen and have only seen about a dozen posts. Hopefully it was a fluke. Anyway, I submitted an insurance claim today online and I already have a tracking number. If I hadn't just gotten the phone I may have waited to upgrade or if prices went down I've bought a new one. It cost me $99 for the deductible and they are shipping me a brand new Galaxy S3 Blue 32gb phone with free overnight shipping. I think the insurance is about $7 a month and I'll keep it for a year since I can still file one more claim. My next phone I will be full retail with coverage by my credit card since I was grandfathered into unlimited data. Which is a plus since Verizon can no longer block tethering apps from the market. I also get to keep my charger, sim card, battery, and cover. So I guess If i had to buy them new I would be spending almost as much as the deducible. They will also charge me $300 if I don't return the phone in 15 days... Hopefully I don't have a similar problem with the new one.
  11. liftedplane

Good luck

12. drbiscuit

drbiscuit New Member

Small drop

Mine broke after 3 days from a very low drop less than 2 feet. I have a question, since you probably got your new phone, did you get the exact phone? I am in your situation and was concerned that they wouldn't have the s3 32. let me know. I am also curious that if turning the phone into insurance at a later date..... would there be the slightest chance in getting a model without the locked bootloader? I know it may be a silly question, but It would be nice if only the original lots had the locked boot loader.

please let me know if you got an exact replacement.

thanks.
  13. jgmecarter

jgmecarter New Member

I got the same white 32 gig S3 and yes it is still locked down. And I do not think that you will have any chance on getting a unlocked S3 going through insurance. You will have to get your wallet out and pay Samsung in order to get that
  14. kernelhappy

kernelhappy New Member

Definitely a problem

There's definitely a problem with the S3. My wife has one, it gets transported in theinside pouch in her handbag. It developed the hairline crack diagonally across the top of the phone (about 3/4" down on the left side going up and right towards the earpiece speaker). The only thing I can think of that possibly contributed was pulling off the thin TPU case she has on it.

She's seriously bummed. I'm just glad i didn't ditch my OG Razr (can't beat the otterbox commuter case that fits in the factory dock and can take a 4' drop no problem).
  15. wvdroidman

wvdroidman New Member

seriously starting to reconsider my purchasing a s3.
  16. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

Just remember that topics in online forums like this will almost always skew negative and give a poor representation of all users of a device. That's because people who have issues with their device come online to look for answers, while people who have no problems don't post nearly as much. You don't see too many threads where someone joins the forum just to say "This phone is great and has no problems." Generally, you'll see people posting who have questions and/or problems.

With as many S3's that have been sold globally to date, if this was a major issue that was happening to a large amount of devices, it would be much more widely known and talked about, especially given the amount of advertising Samsung has put into the device. It does seem like issues with the screen are happening a little more often than with most phones, but at the same time, it still appears to be happening to a small percentage of people.
  17. kparks

kparks Active Member

Haha I was just about to post the same exact thing... It might be a issue but if it was a large problem this forum would be blowing up like crazy I've seen it before.... anyone looking for any cracked screen info on google will find this thread and post its a problem but if it was wide scale this topic would have tons of responses and that goes for the cracking cases I see pics of a few people having cracked back covers but if it was a defect or large problem there would be tons of topics and post about it on this forum I think it's just some misfortune.
  18. cdipier2

cdipier2 New Member

I had a samsung stratosphere that fell from not to high and the screen shattered, it had a case on it and it the floor wasnt concrete or tile. The glass also scratches very easily. Im starting to wonder if this is common on other samsung devices
  19. kernelhappy

kernelhappy New Member

I agree with you that you can't take the experience of one person as gospel. That said, I normally look for negative reviews over positive reviews. No device is perfect and I rather know where it falls short so I can decide if the shortcomings are things that annoy me.

In this particular case I do believe there is a problem with the device though. Even if it doesn't effect 30% of the users, I've Googled around and have seen enough reports of cracking to make lead me to believe there is an issue. That doesn't mean I don't recommend the device, it's actually an awesome piece of kit, the screen is beautiful, fast as hell and the Samsung customizations aren't totally intrusive (not that I'd run a stock ROM like my wife does). Even with my personal belief that there are indications that there is a problem with the screen I'd get one if I could get a otterbox commuter and a car dock that fits like it does on my Razr.
  20. tekjunkie28

tekjunkie28 New Member

Well i have my s3 setting in my verizon bag awaiting return bc of glass issues. Can someone make a poll "has ur s3 glass broken?" Yes or no?

It makes me nervous to keepthis phone. I want to but i am skeptical

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Search tags for this page
cracked phone screen
galaxy s3 black screen
galaxy s3 cracked

galaxy s3 cracked screen

galaxy s3 screen cracked easy repair
how do you repair cracked glass on samsung s4 mini
s3 screen cracked by itself
samsung galaxy s3 recall verizon
samsung galaxy s3 screen crack by itself