Galaxy S3 screen cracked by itself.... anyone else? Verizon..

hydro79

Reaction score
I don't know if I can trust RadioShack anymore. Did you know you don't get any warranty from their products anymore? You actually have to purchase the warranty now. Also, most cheap replacement screens have a yellow hue to them.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I don't know if I can trust RadioShack anymore. Did you know you don't get any warranty from their products anymore? You actually have to purchase the warranty now. Also, most cheap replacement screens have a yellow hue to them.

I don't believe this is correct. There are both written and implied warranties (which differ from state to state), but products sold at Radio Shack will typically come with a 90-day Limited Warranty, where failure as a result of defect in materials or manufacturing will be honored with a repair or replacement at the manufacturer's discretion. In most cases, it is simply replaced with either a new, or Refurbished "like new" product of the same or greater value.

hydro79

Reaction score
I don't believe this is correct. There are both written and implied warranties (which differ from state to state), but products sold at Radio Shack will typically come with a 90-day Limited Warranty, where failure as a result of defect in materials or manufacturing will be honored with a repair or replacement at the manufacturer's discretion. In most cases, it is simply replaced with either a new, or Refurbished "like new" product of the same or greater value.

You are right. I over-simplified. They used to provide a full one year warranty on products that had the RadioShack name. I went last week to purchase a soldering iron (RadioShack branded) and was told it came with no warranty beyond the 90 days. I was shocked since it was close to $100 and it was their brand. I'm sure they don't actually make it but it is being sold as a RadioShack soldering iron. I live in VA by the way so maybe it's a different story in PA?

Unhapp

Reaction score
Same exact scenario here......... i cant believe a recall is not in place..... even if it is for a small batch of phones.

Unhapp

Reaction score
I'm sad to say my phone developed a crack last night. Interesting thing is that It happened within ten minutes after installing a brand new Flip Cover (made by Samsung). I'm quoting you only because you also have a flip cover. I have had the phone for five months and never dropped it. I believe the screen was not up to par to begin with and the new cover exposed the weakness. This cover actually replaces the battery cover with a thicker one that has almost no flex. It installed fine and flush just like it should as it is a Samsung product but I'm 100% sure this caused the problem as it was not dropped or even put in a pocket. It was in my hand from the time it was installed until the screen showed the crack ten minutes later when I looked at the time. However, the screen MUST have been weak to begin with. Contacted Samsung and got the same answer as most everybody else with this issue... "the screen is damaged and not covered under warranty". Interesting that both the phone and the cover are made by Samsung and they won't cover an issue that was obviously caused by one (or both).

So frustrating. I really love this phone and have taken great care of it. Didn't have a single scratch on it... :(

I have the white SG3 by the way. My crack is on the top right corner from between the camera and sensors to below the power button.

My GS3 was placed in an otter-box the day i purchased it....... 6 months later a crack appears out of the blue...... and have done nothing different from any other day.

Unhapp

Reaction score
Hi everyone!! I am a new owner of an S3 and was ecstatic to get it 2 wks ago today!! Bought an Otterbox Commuter right away and stealth shield screen protectors - I'm an adult and take great care of my phones... Last phone was 2yrs old and not a scratch ANYWHERE!! I'm just cautious.

So I was doing housework and the phone was lying up on the kitchen table... (all day!) Went to pick it up to go into the living room and saw what I thought was a hair - corner to corner ... Went to the light and was like "wtf" Took my otterbox of and peeled back screen protector to discover a small crack UNDER the screen!!! I literally CRIED my eyes out!! I am so careful with my phones and it saddens me deeply.

My husband thinks the OTTERBOX did it?! *cuz it's sooooo tight -- almost too tight!!* and I even emailed Otterbox asking if it was possible but got a generic reply about if I want a otterbox replacement provide pics; etc.. No I WANT A PHONE!! :( Now I'm afraid if I put the otterbox on it it will cause more cracking?!?! For anyone unfamiliar with the otterbox commuter for s3 - it's a rubber case which slips on = followed but a HARD case that is almost impossible to get on!! The crack occurred corner to corner right where the plastic case snaps into the corner rubber feet!! (bottom left)

I THANKFULLY! had added the insurance right after getting the phone (my son and I both got them) because the investment with cases; etc became a quick monthly salary and we felt it was important to be covered, But I truly do not feel I should have to pay for a refurbished phone just 14 days after activation!! (seriously activated August 2) But most stories online are saying they do NOT cover screens for warranty!! :(

I contacted Samsung after reading a bunch of reports about similar issues and of course they say 'No, we've heard no such reports' I told the rep that was surprising because I'd heard about that on many forums; youtube; verizon forums; etc. but that was that...:(

Should I try to talk to Verizon too!? Or do I just wait and see if it spreads then pay for a replacement?!?

Other than this serious issue I LOVE MY S3!!! :eek: The OTTERBOX - Not so much :( This phone is not strong enough for such a tight case in my opinion - Tho I will never know for sure if the case is the blame... Most cracks underneath are "stress" cracks.. It was not stressed/broke/banged in any other way than that of the otterbox....unless its a serious manufacturer's issue. :confused:

My otter box was placed on my GS3 the day i bought it....... almost 8 months ago. And my phantom crack just appeared last night. The phone is flawed.... not the otter-box. Samsung needs to step up and take responsibility for a flawed batch.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Man that's very unfortunate. I was having terrible battery life for awhile, but at least I could charge it when I got home, I could live with it. I don't think I could live with a giant crack in my screen...

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
My otter box was placed on my GS3 the day i bought it....... almost 8 months ago. And my phantom crack just appeared last night. The phone is flawed.... not the otter-box. Samsung needs to step up and take responsibility for a flawed batch.
It looks like the issue could have started with the otterbox, since I have heard many people complain how tight the phone fits in that case, stress on the glass could have formed do to that reason, not saying it did, but there is a possibility that it did, and Samsung would tell you the same thing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I'm noticing more a correlation of cases in general and the phones, not specifically Otterbox. Though I believe there have been several people in this thread who mentioned it happened to them and they never used a case, so....

greggatshack

Reaction score
I'm noticing more a correlation of cases in general and the phones, not specifically Otterbox. Though I believe there have been several people in this thread who mentioned it happened to them and they never used a case, so....

In my case I just had a relatively loose fitting case that really didn't apply much pressure to the phone at all. I could slip it on and off quite easily. I'm tending to think that perhaps pressure came from the inside, say a battery that was expanding from heat.

Brian72

Reaction score
I have the Otterbox Commuter on my 2 month old S3 (black). While it is tough to get on it actually doesn't put much pressure on the phone once installed.

After reading several of these threads I'm starting to wonder if there was an issue with an early batch. It seems most people with "mysterious" cracks bought their phone soon after release, or within a few months. I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue with the black or brown version, since those have only been out a few months.

At first I skipped the insurance since I've never lost or broken a phone. But when my 17 month old boy developed a habit of throwing everything he could find, I decided to add it. I'll definitely report back if any issues.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have the Otterbox Commuter on my 2 month old S3 (black). While it is tough to get on it actually doesn't put much pressure on the phone once installed.

After reading several of these threads I'm starting to wonder if there was an issue with an early batch. It seems most people with "mysterious" cracks bought their phone soon after release, or within a few months. I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue with the black or brown version, since those have only been out a few months.

At first I skipped the insurance since I've never lost or broken a phone. But when my 17 month old boy developed a habit of throwing everything he could find, I decided to add it. I'll definitely report back if any issues.
Have owned the blue one since day one, no issues here, all my phones wear cases, sorry but when I hear people dropping their six plus hundred dollar smartphones, and damaging them, I say its on them, especially when a big glass screen is always exposed, these are not flip phones.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums