Galaxy S3 screen cracked by itself.... anyone else? Verizon..

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
My $0.02 worth... (I had been considering an S3, not anymore.)
IMHO
Samsung and VZW seem to be ignoring the problem, maybe because most of the reports of the issue are on the forums, where most people don't go unless they have a problem And know that the forums exist. Maybe if some people with the problem posted the issue and their experiences with the companies on a more public venue, (like at a tech site or news site where the phone is being discussed or advertised) where more of the general public would see it, it might goad Samsung and VZW to do right by their customers and replace these phones gratis. As it is, they are not doing anything because people are still buying the S3. And as long as people keep buying the phones, why who cares if some people are getting shafted. If they were getting bad press about the issue to where people started shying away from the phones, well then... (shrug)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

I think they're ignoring it because it isn't a widespread issue. Rather than type it all up again, I'll just refer back to a post I made earlier about it:

While there have been several reports of it here, it seems that it's not an extremely widespread issue. If it were extremely widespread, with as many Galaxy S3's that have been sold around the world, Samsung would have had to acknowledge it by now. So, I'm guessing that the problem - and it clearly does appear that there is a problem, at least with some batches - hasn't been large enough for Samsung to feel the need to address it. A screen that breaks on its own without any drops or forceful hits should be covered under warranty. But often, a company won't address an issue unless its big enough to be a major problem for them, either from a sales or from a publicity standpoint. So far, this particular problem doesn't appear to be major enough to do either, so they're probably not concerned about it. I'm certainly not saying that they shouldn't be concerned, because they should, but typically, that's how large businesses operate when it comes to this sort of thing.

It's similar to the car recall formula in Fight Club:

"A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."

Except in this case, it's the number of phones multiplied by the probable rate of the screen breaking on its own, multiplied by the cost to replace the phones, multiplied by the cost to the company that bad publicity that could bring about if the phone starts to be viewed as flawed by the general public. I think the probable rate of the screen breaking on its own is extremely low (if it wasn't, it would be all over the internet in a major way), so that alone is enough for Samsung to not worry about it.

Apple found itself in a similar situation with the antenna in the iPhone 4. They ultimately decided it was financially worthwhile to compensate users and alleviate the negative press that the issue was bringing (which in turn garnered positive press because they were actively doing something to address the issue). For Samsung, there's been no negative press about the screen cracking on the S3, and it isn't happening in widespread numbers, so they probably don't see the need to address it.

I'm certainly not excusing the refusal of Verizon and Samsung to do something for those customers who have had this issue, because it clearly is an issue for some. The things that have been reported in this thread aren't normal, they shouldn't happen, and they should be covered under warranty. But ultimately, I think their inaction comes down purely to numbers, and the numbers apparently aren't there as far as they're concerned.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
At the same time, even if the magnitude in numbers does not exist, if bad publicity affects their sales...or they fear it might, then Samsung may be compelled to cover these situations under warranty. Some of the examples in this thread are definitely not due to user negligence.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
At the same time, even if the magnitude in numbers does not exist, if bad publicity affects their sales...or they fear it might, then Samsung may be compelled to cover these situations under warranty. Some of the examples in this thread are definitely not due to user negligence.

Agreed. That's exactly what I was saying. :)

But it doesn't appear that the issue is impacting their sales in the slightest. In fact, I have yet to read about this issue outside of forums like this, and even in forums, it's a very small number of users who have experienced it. If it was a problem on any sort of a wide scale, it would be all over the internet. Complaints to the carriers and Samsung would be massive, and news sites (both regular and tech) would be reporting on it. But that doesn't appear to be the case, and that's why they've been able to ignore it. Again, I'm not saying they should ignore it (because they shouldn't), but until it becomes widespread enough to stir up some possible trouble for them, they probably won't do anything about it regrettably.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:

How would you know that, you believe everything you read on the web.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
cybertec69 said:

What are you asking?...whether I know that bad publicity affects sales? That when sales are affected, a manufacturer may fix the problem to increase sales and improve its reputation or that some of the cracks definitely do not appear to be user negligence? It's all speculation based on common business practice and what makes the most sense. That's all it is, nothing more, nothing less.

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
What are you asking?...whether I know that bad publicity affects sales? That when sales are affected, a manufacturer may fix the problem to increase sales and improve its reputation or that some of the cracks definitely do not appear to be user negligence? It's all speculation based on common business practice and what makes the most sense. That's all it is, nothing more, nothing less.

That's where you went wrong..it makes sense. There will be none of that, thank you tis...

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
rjeatkrconley said:
That's where you went wrong..it makes sense. There will be none of that, thank you tis...

Lol! Thanks..but believe me, I don't always make sense!

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score

they can't put anything that isn't true on the internet... I read that on the internet

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Lmao! That commercial is all I could think of when I read this post. And I want to find my next bf from France on the internet too, lol!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
A day late and a dollar (or two) short. :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
FoxKat said:
A day late and a dollar (or two) short. :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Are you French? Darn, you're already married! Lol!

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
damn foxes always trying to drink my kool-aid =D lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

daudi81

Reaction score
While I haven't cracked my screen yet, I do know for a fact that the durability is lower compared to the other competitive smartphones out there. I have so many small little scratches on my s3, I've never dropped it and I absolutely baby all my phones. I never had this issue with my gnex or razor max, or even my old thunderbolt. Yet the s3 seems to get these magic scratches overnight.