Galaxy S3 moving Apps to external SD card Issue.....

chuymty69

Reaction score
GL to SD

In order to move some apps from the Root to external SD- have downloaded the GL to SD. While trying to open it ..I received following note:
Your device does not have root privelege. !!
What does it suppose to mean ?

It means you need to root your phone, of course you will void your warranty. Root access means having full access to restricted features within your device. There are multiple videos on youtube that show you how to do it but be careful, you could brick your phone if an error is made during the process.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
It means you need to root your phone, of course you will void your warranty. Root access means having full access to restricted features within your device. There are multiple videos on youtube that show you how to do it but be careful, you could brick your phone if an error is made during the process.

But just to be clear you can unroot the phone as well. So it only voids your warranty while you're rooted. You can go back and it won't be a problem.

veedubdan74

Reaction score
I've noticed some weird things with my sd card since buying my s3, maybe someone else has noticed these problems. First thing is that with astro, it labels the internal memory as "sd" and the micro sd card (64gb) as "ext-sd". I never really thought anything of it, although dont remember this on my droid x.
Now I got jelly bean (verizon, so not the official) and i finally rooted and did a backup with titanium which saved the backup onto my phone and I ran out of memory. I used titanium and moved all possible apps to the sd card and I gained 0 free space even though it showed that they were moved to the sd card. I solved it myself by moving a bunch of things manually.

Anyone have this happen to them? I do remember changing the camera save destination directory to the sd card, and that worked correctly.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Did you try using another file browser?? New Astro kinda sucks...

Also I know most of the JB leaks are good but not great and still need some tweaking...

pelir

Reaction score
Root

Does everyone know that you can NOT move your downloaded Apps from the Google Play store to your external SD card on the SG3, the only thing that can go on your external SD Card is files you download from any source "but the Google Play store", so for those that like to download lots of games and need more that 11 Gigs of space that will be available on the 16 gig SG3 model "the OS and some of the preloaded files take about 5 gigs" you have no option of moving them to the external SD card.
For me on the 16GB version of the SG3 there will be 11 Gigs left for Apps and anything else, that is more than enough "for me", as I see that has caused a big uproar all over the web in regards to this issue, I say keep the Apps that you use MOST in your MY Apps Installed folder in the Google Play market, and the ones you hardly use in your ALL folder in the App market. That would be the only solution I would have for this issue till Samsung resolves this problem.

I heard that you can do that if you root your phone. The only big problem is that the warranty is void if you root your phone!!!

jacobimh

Reaction score
Saving to sd card

I have a Samsung Charge running ICS and I can move apps to the external sd card. I also have the 32 gb S3 with an external 32 GB card. I have 3 gb free internally, and nothing but photos in the external. I hope this is something Samsung and Google will change and fix.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Wow you have 29gb worth of apps on your internal SD card??? That's gotta be like 500+ apps, including games! Do you really use all of them??

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
Wow you have 29gb worth of apps on your internal SD card??? That's gotta be like 500+ apps, including games! Do you really use all of them??

Gameloft and EA games can run 1 to 2 GB easily. Movies are 1GB and HD Movies are 4 to 6 GB. Easy way to take up space

Sent from my SGS3 using Droid Forums

jacobimh

Reaction score
I do have a lot of applications but the main thing is my droid TV shows and my music. I don't think I can move them to the Sd card and still have them work with the applications.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Gameloft and EA games can run 1 to 2 GB easily. Movies are 1GB and HD Movies are 4 to 6 GB. Easy way to take up space

Sent from my SGS3 using Droid Forums

Well sure, but of those larger games there are only a handful of good ones that are worth the price and install times PLUS having them all installed at once, and you could still probably have about 15-20 give or take. I'm yet to meet anyone who plays 15+ only expensive games ($4.99+) exclusively at the same time. Any media can be put on the SD card. Can't say I've heard of any app that has trouble playing standard movies/music/pictures through the SD card. I watch HD movies, TV shows and listen to music daily, all the time. Some of the HD movies need to be converted, but it takes all of 1 minute and keeps the quality - a sacrifice worth saving 6+gb IMO. Though most blu-ray.iso files can't be played at all on most media devices. Btw I have about 19 games installed on my S3, a good handful of them over 1-2gb and 250ish other apps with about 12gb to spare.

Jacob I don't think your problem is really the amount of storage so much as it is Droid TV. Unfortunately, SD card or not, if you just continuously record shows it's going to fill up. Fast. Even if you could put apps on the external, that means everything else would have to be there to, and you'd probably have a ton of shows you don't watch or plan on watching soon that you couldn't just re-download...so that would fill up rather quickly. So my advice is to watch a show and delete it. Or at least most of the time. I assume one show is only between 300-600mb give or take, so you can still have quite a few without breaking the 15gb mark and still have plenty of room to spare.

So while I do think it's unfortunate apps can't be moved to or installed from the SD, it really wouldn't even be a fix for this so much as a temp fix. Then when that SD card is full you'll have to switch it out, meaning you'd have to transfer all these apps over, which is always a hassle, and lose out on that media. Admittedly I don't know much about Droid TV, but I thought you downloaded episodes to your phone to watch, right? Which sounds great, just can't really keep, maybe 12ish gigs or more. I dunno, just trying to help!!! Though here it doesn't list the S3 as incompatible so??

DroidTV