Galaxy S3 moving Apps to external SD card Issue.....

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
So if you could find the app outside of the Google play store, would you be able to store it on the external sd. Amazon marketplace for instance. Obviously not all apps are available from amazon, but a number of the free ones are. Would this be a viable workaround?

No. Regardless of where they come from, all apps will install to the internal memory unless you're rooted and using something like Directory Bind like Batman8 and others mentioned.

And Batman8 is entirely correct. This is the direction that Android is moving in. Motorola was doing it on Gingerbread, and I've yet to see an ICS device that natively allows the installation of apps to the SD card. This was a choice made by Google for a variety of reasons (with stability being one of the major ones). Luckily, for those who need the expandable storage for applications, there are ways to work around it if you're rooted.

drew

Reaction score
The manufacturers (at least Samsung is with the SGS3) are getting an extra benefit of selling two models and making some pretty good cabbage on the one with more storage space. When i bought mine, I asked the Verizon rep about SD storage and she said it could hold up to a 64 GB card. I said "hmm..wonder why anyone would buy the 32 GB version". She either knew and didn't say, or didn't know about this. I'm really not sure which is worse. Had i known, i would have spent the extra for the 32 GB version.

That might be my reason to root and flash CM10 (they fixed this).

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The manufacturers (at least Samsung is with the SGS3) are getting an extra benefit of selling two models and making some pretty good cabbage on the one with more storage space. When i bought mine, I asked the Verizon rep about SD storage and she said it could hold up to a 64 GB card. I said "hmm..wonder why anyone would buy the 32 GB version". She either knew and didn't say, or didn't know about this. I'm really not sure which is worse. Had i known, i would have spent the extra for the 32 GB version.

I'm pretty sure that most reps won't know which phones you can and can't install apps to the SD card with, unless they've owned the phone and have tried to do it.

shaggydabbydo

Reaction score

On finding this lack of functionality to be able to move apps to the user mounted micro-SD card, I returned mine to the supplier under the legal UK term "not fit for purpose". I too would need the 32Gb version (probabily leaving ~27Gb after the operating system, based on 11Gb being left available on the 16Gb version).

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
No. Regardless of where they come from, all apps will install to the internal memory unless you're rooted and using something like Directory Bind like Batman8 and others mentioned.

Rats. I suppose i will just need root when i eventually run out of space. Rooting has nothing to do with the locked bootloader right? Even us suckers with Verizon's locked version can still root correct?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Rats. I suppose i will just need root when i eventually run out of space. Rooting has nothing to do with the locked bootloader right? Even us suckers with Verizon's locked version can still root correct?

Correct. Root access can still be achieved on a device with a locked bootloader.

rlopin

Reaction score
This is not just an issue for gamers. I am unable to use my new 64GB SanDisk Class 10 micro sd card for content.

- Audible Books
- Zinio Magazines
- Spotify Music Downloads
- BeyondPod Podcasts*

(*even after moving folder, using app's advanced config option to specify samsung's unique mount name, and config option to handle delayed mounting, app still recreates folder on internal storage and stores downloads there)

The content for these apps use up a lot of storage space. The external storage card was a huge factor in going with this phone. The card itself was $80. The 32GB model wasn't even available at the Verizon store. I feel like a sucker.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

hamoudah

Reaction score
move apps to sd

exactly i bought a 64gb card and its for nothing...i know you can always copy paste from sd to ext sd but still on a device like the GS3 you should be able to move all apps with 1 click instead copy paste everything.

Causbrite

Reaction score
This is not just an issue for gamers. I am unable to use my new 64GB SanDisk Class 10 micro sd card for content.

- Audible Books
- Zinio Magazines
- Spotify Music Downloads
- BeyondPod Podcasts*

(*even after moving folder, using app's advanced config option to specify samsung's unique mount name, and config option to handle delayed mounting, app still recreates folder on internal storage and stores downloads there)

The content for these apps use up a lot of storage space. The external storage card was a huge factor in going with this phone. The card itself was $80. The 32GB model wasn't even available at the Verizon store. I feel like a sucker.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Even after reading this I had to try anyway. I have about 8.7GB of books with Audible, so my internal memory on my 16GB S3 went downhill quick. I moved all the books themselves, just the *.aax files, and put them in a folder on my external SD Card (64GB SDXC) called Audible. At first the software said I needed to download the books to listen to them, but after a reboot (I am not rooted, but am looking into it), the software then picked up all my titles and plays them all fine. Freeing up nearly 9GB of space. So I can now fill that with crap that I'll only use a couple of times.....

Last edited:

frankdr

Reaction score
I also bought a sd card for nothing?

Hi,

As my model is 16Gb I bought a 64Gb microSDXC card, but I see it's nearly for nothing, only for content but not for apps nor new downloaded content... WTH! :icon_evil:

suzigeer

Reaction score
With my previous smartphones I moved apps to SD card. I was under the impression they were better there (1) if I switched phones, I could just move sd card to new phone and the apps would be there, (2) if for some reason my phone has to undergo factory reset, or when there's an OS update.
???

chuymty69

Reaction score
Solved :)

Must have *ROOT
Download from app store ( GL to SD )
PROBLEM SOLVED

ilanys

Reaction score
GL to SD- doesn't work

Must have *ROOT
Download from app store ( GL to SD )
PROBLEM SOLVED

In order to move some apps from the Root to external SD- have downloaded the GL to SD. While trying to open it ..I received following note:
Your device does not have root privelege. !!
What does it suppose to mean ?

Rfruda

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that most reps won't know which phones you can and can't install apps to the SD card with, unless they've owned the phone and have tried to do it.

I ran into the same issues when I just bought my Galaxy S3. I assumed that an additoinal SD card would solve my issues without rooting. I bought the 64Gig sd card and feel without rooting I just wasted my money as I will never use that much. May end up just swapping out a smaller card and use the 64 on another device (camera, camcorder etc. that can use the larger card). And I spoke to Samsung and Verizon about getting the 64gig card as opposed to the 32 gig and not once did they say there would be any kind of restrictions. Since I am brand new to smartphones they got me this time..... :angry: