Galaxy S3 moving Apps to external SD card Issue.....

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does everyone know that you can NOT move your downloaded Apps from the Google Play store to your external SD card on the SG3, the only thing that can go on your external SD Card is files you download from any source "but the Google Play store", so for those that like to download lots of games and need more that 11 Gigs of space that will be available on the 16 gig SG3 model "the OS and some of the preloaded files take about 5 gigs" you have no option of moving them to the external SD card.
For me on the 16GB version of the SG3 there will be 11 Gigs left for Apps and anything else, that is more than enough "for me", as I see that has caused a big uproar all over the web in regards to this issue, I say keep the Apps that you use MOST in your MY Apps Installed folder in the Google Play market, and the ones you hardly use in your ALL folder in the App market. That would be the only solution I would have for this issue till Samsung resolves this problem.

Last edited:

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
Wow, that is a bummer. I was not aware of this at all. Had I known I probably would have upgraded to the 32G version, but i figured it is cheaper to buy SD cards, and it gives me more flexibility. I use alot of space on my phone for games, and have them stored on the SD card. You mention the "App Market." Did you mean Play Store? Will apps from amazon still be able to be located on the sd card?

OP
cybertec69

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, that is a bummer. I was not aware of this at all. Had I known I probably would have upgraded to the 32G version, but i figured it is cheaper to buy SD cards, and it gives me more flexibility. I use alot of space on my phone for games, and have them stored on the SD card. You mention the "App Market." Did you mean Play Store? Will apps from amazon still be able to be located on the sd card?
I don't know about apps from Amazon and how they will be effected, and yes I meant the Google Play Store.

Beka27

Reaction score
I haven't heard this. So is this a glitch/bug or something or is this intentional by Samsung? :blink:

OP
cybertec69

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is a Samsung thing, Samsung is trying to blame Google Play store, but it has already been discovered it is something that Samsung has implemented "according to people on the www, but who knows really" into the S3 for security reasons I think, who the heck knows what they are thinking, it is in the software of the device, the only way for you to be able to move your apps to your external SD card is to unlock the phone. But hopefully with enough negative feedback they will have a change of mind, but who knows, since at the moment they have bigger fish to fry, like Apple:mad:.

Last edited:

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
I would think it must be a Samsung thing. Otherwise we would be hearing about it on other new phones like the One X or incredible 4g. I do hope that it is something that they will fix with an update.

OP
cybertec69

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would think it must be a Samsung thing. Otherwise we would be hearing about it on other new phones like the One X or incredible 4g. I do hope that it is something that they will fix with an update.
From doing a bit more reading on this issue, it looks like it's a Samsung issue. This will be my first Samsung Android phone and already it has issues before I even receive it, only reason I am upgrading from my trusted HTC Rezound with ICS was for me to lock in for another two years with unlimited data and use my last Subsidized upgrade for a New smartphone with Verizon, what on Gods green earth is Samsung thinking, did they think this would not be noticed and cause an uproar, the www is burning up in regards to this issue, as some carriers only had the 16GB version to begin with, WOW just WOW.

sixtyfour

Reaction score
I'm not a huge gamer so if the media-heavy apps I have can use SD card, I'm reasonably sure the 16GB S3 I ordered will be enough for awhile. It's just nice to have options and I agree it was a bad move on whoever's to blame to take away the apps-on-SD ability.

In another thread, I learned that apps run quicker on internal vs external memory. Can anyone point me to some more information about this? A quick Google just turned up more forum discussions and speculation but nothing definitive.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Pretty sure it's the same way on the Bionic (which is Motorola, not Samsung). When you "move to SD" it just moves it off of the 4GB partition that is reserved for apps, and moves it to the 8 GB "media area" - which is the user accessible area of the phone's internal storage. AFAIK, you can't move apps to the removable SD card on an unrooted Bionic.

Last edited:

sixtyfour

Reaction score
Pretty sure it's the same way on the Bionic (which is Motorola, not Samsung). When you "move to SD" it just moves it off of the 4GB partition that is reserved for apps, and moves it to the 8 GB "media area" - which is the user accessible area of the phone's internal storage. AFAIK, you can't move apps to the removable SD card on an unrooted Bionic.

Interesting TD. My Inc has the same sort of differentiation between app space and data/media space, both for onboard memory and the SD card. I wish I understood more about how these different phones divvied up their "disk" space (both internal and SD) and managed working memory.

Your post brings up another thought - does the S3 differentiate between app space and data/media space like my Inc and your Bionic? If it does, I wonder if the 32GB model has a correspondingly larger app space than the 16GB or did Samsung just tack on a larger data/media partition?

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
From doing a bit more reading on this issue, it looks like it's a Samsung issue. This will be my first Samsung Android phone and already it has issues before I even receive it, only reason I am upgrading from my trusted HTC Rezound with ICS was for me to lock in for another two years with unlimited data and use my last Subsidized upgrade for a New smartphone with Verizon, what on Gods green earth is Samsung thinking, did they think this would not be noticed and cause an uproar, the www is burning up in regards to this issue, as some carriers only had the 16GB version to begin with, WOW just WOW.
I echo your sentiments exactly. This is My first Sammy phone, and I already have second thoughts. I totally dig my Rezound, but needed to use my last upgrade to lock in unlimited data. At least we have 14 days to play with it to see how it keeps up. I plan to see how many of my games i can load before filling the phone. That was the most irritating thing about the HTC Eris, is constantly having to delete one app to play with another. Cant believe Samsung would do this, and for what purpose?