Galaxy S III Developer Edition for Verizon appears on Samsung's website

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsunggalaxysiiivzwdevedition01-1342412202.jpg

Fans of unlocked bootloaders rejoice! It looks like the landing page for the Galaxy S III Developer Edition for Verizon is now live on Samsung's website. As you'll recall, Verizon is the only US carrier to sell the handset with a locked bootloader -- something that's not sitting well with us, developers, custom ROM aficionados and other tech enthusiasts (you know who you are). Thankfully, Samsung recently announced it would offer a special version of the handset with an unlocked bootloader on its website for $599. While there's still no info on availability, you'll at least be able to purchase the 32GB model in blue at some point soon. No word on the 16GB or white options, or whether the $599 pricetag applies to this blue 32GB version. We'll keep you posted when we find out more -- in the meantime, follow the source link below for the details.

As originally posted by, Jeffrey, over at S3Forums.com.

Source: S3Forums via Coming Soon! Samsung Galaxy S® III (Verizon), Pebble Blue 32GB Developer Edition | Samsung Mobile

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
This is a strange one.. Locked BL on the normal version per vzw but they are cool with this one being on the network? :blink:

skennelly

Reaction score
Fans of unlocked bootloaders rejoice! Thankfully, Samsung recently announced it would offer a special version of the handset with an unlocked bootloader on its website for $599.

I still think this is bs unless this device helps unlock the other devices. If not, this is just a $600 tax. Nothing to rejoice about yet.

*Sent from my Galaxy to yours through tapatalk

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
??? How can that be? VZW said that Samsung only wanted them to sell a locked version.

I'm comfrused???

/s

skennelly

Reaction score
??? How can that be? VZW said that Samsung only wanted them to sell a locked version.

I'm comfrused???

/s

VZW lies. When every other SGS 3 is unlocked, what would be the logic in locking down the vzw version if vzw didn't care.

Reaction score
Its quite simple. They locked the regular one to pave way for sales of this now overpriced device.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
They figure most people will not flip $600.00 for a smartphone, and they'd be right. It's a way for them to offer you want you want and on their terms. You got to Pay to Play.

huskur

Reaction score
They figure most people will not flip $600.00 for a smartphone, and they'd be right. It's a way for them to offer you want you want and on their terms. You got to Pay to Play.

I just gave $650 for my 32GB SG3. I wish I knew this before hand. I would have waited for this one. I may return mine. I will have to think about it

Sniper_5

Reaction score
Nowhere does VZW state they will allow this phone on their network as is. I'm speculating an OTA to lock it once its on the network. Since you sign the " terms and conditions". Hopefully not, but an easy way to pull a fast one.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nowhere does VZW state they will allow this phone on their network as is. I'm speculating an OTA to lock it once its on the network. Since you sign the " terms and conditions". Hopefully not, but an easy way to pull a fast

one.

Interesting... Will it come with a Sim Card or can you use others on it? I wouldnt be surprised at this. Because this phone does go against what Verizon said. Maybe its a support thing and warranty thing. I would rather deal with Verizon for that instead of Samsung. Easier for me.

Last edited:

sund0wn

Reaction score
I still think this is bs unless this device helps unlock the other devices. If not, this is just a $600 tax. Nothing to rejoice about yet.

wow, let's clear a few things up. it's sad that people will complain about anything and everything. to an earlier post, NO verizon never said it was samsung who wanted it locked. to the contrary, VZW stated they wanted it locked. and since vzw is the one who services warranty replacements, that's their prerogative. did you know that over 80% of the phones that vzw replaces under "warranty" are not actually warranty issues? as a matter of fact, i can all but guarantee there are people that are members of this board that bricked their phones, and took it back to the carrier claiming warranty issues. and lets face it, verizon has to honor more warranty replacements each year than any other US carrier. by a long shot.

and second, how is it a $600 tax? the 16GB locked version is $600. verizon lets you sign a contract in order to have it subsidized, but you're getting a $600 phone for $200. This phone isnt making anyone more money. Greed is not behind this device.

my guess is that if you get this phone, you will be agreeing that you cannot go to vzw for warranty replcements. you will likely have to send it to samsung for repair/replacement. of course, i dont know this for sure, but it would make sense.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
While I'm mostly in agreement with you, let's keep on topic of the Samsung Galaxy S3 Dev edition, not whether Verizon has more warranty claims.

Thank you.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

sund0wn

Reaction score
While I'm mostly in agreement with you, let's keep on topic of the Samsung Galaxy S3 Dev edition, not whether Verizon has more warranty claims.

Thank you.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

how was my post off topic? i was simply giving my opinion (in response to an earlier post) as to why vzw had the bootloader locked, which was the catalyst for the developer version in the first place. being employed at a vzw corporate office gives me said insight. if you dont want that insight here, i will take it elsewhere.

thank you.