Galaxy S Devices Losing BING With Froyo Upgrade

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
gsfroyo.png

This is what Droid-Life discovered while reading Samsungs PR release regarding the update they are releasing to their world Galaxy S device. It seems Samsung has created the perfect Froyo for us, and apparently Bing is not perfection enough to make the cut and it has been taken out and good old Google is back in power. The Froyo changes are directly expressed in the Press release below, and like every other Froyo update, it will be great.

The other question the Press release email tried to answer is when we American users will see this update; well the answer is “gradually.” I am expecting that means before the year is over, and knowing supply and demand, it most likely will be.

The Samsung Vibrant should get the update soon as well, but sadly our ties to BING might be deeper than just an app, and Droid-Life does not see that going away.

PR Release:

SEOUL, Korea – October 18, 2010 – Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., a leading mobile phone provider, today announced the Android™ 2.2 (Froyo) upgrade to the Samsung GALAXY S, giving users access to new features, enhanced navigation applications and improved performance.
The Android 2.2 upgrade will be available via Kies, Samsung’s unique in-house software upgrade program. Kies can be downloaded at the Samsung mobile website (:: Mobile Exciting!! - Samsung Mobile ::).
The GALAXY S is Samsung’s cleverly designed smartphone with a bright 4-inch SUPER AMOLED screen and a 1 GHz application processor, giving users an intelligent, immersive and integrated mobile experience. The Android 2.2 upgrade offers voice-controlled GPS through Google MapsTM with Navigation, faster performance by JIT(Just in Time) compiler. Additionally, further functionalities including Search in-browser, Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1, improved customization options will be provided with OS upgrade.
- Google MapsTM with Navigation: GPS navigation system with voice guidance
- Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1: Allow the web browser to make full use of the whole web
- Setup Wizard: Quickly customize the GALAXY S and access networks with ease
- Home Screen/Menu Preview and Edit : Preview by pinch-zoom
- Search in-Browser : Google™, Translate, Wikipedia, Dictionary
The Android 2.2 upgrade will be available from the mid of October 2010 in the Nordic region and gradually rolled out to other European markets, Southeast Asia, the Middle East Asia, North America, Africa and rest of the world.

jerroedr

Reaction score
so why isnt the fascinate listed at all on that link, or further in their site under verizon phones?

OP
W

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
so why isnt the fascinate listed at all on that link, or further in their site under verizon phones?
Because they aren't getting the update yet... the devices getting the updates are all abroad.. the reason this is news is for that sexy change log that they had in their PR release.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Looks VERY nice!! Hopefully, Samsung will not follow Motorola and HTC with this "anti-root" philosophy!

nerdkill

Reaction score
does samsung skin their phones? i'm thinking my next phone is going to be a samsung so long as they're not skinned and, no bootloader, rootable, etc... i was playing with them the other day at the store and they feel a bit cheap, but i still liked them. i bet their next generations of phones are going to be great, i think they're here to stay. i've had enough of this blur bs on my phone, it really ruins the experience.

streetkid

Reaction score
Any idea when froyo comes to the Fascinate? I got a droid so I'm cool, but my bro has a Fascinate, just curious when. Fascinate on 2.1 is so smooth and snapy, destroys my droid on 2.2

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
That release is a world wide release. Who knows whether Verizon will stick with the Bing-o-mania? I think VZW is going with the highest bidder.