Galaxy Note 5 Battery is anemic

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
My i6 Plus gets great battery life. It slays any phone that I have owned in stand by time. If it had better radios, or better antennae I should say, then usage time would be better as well.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My i6 Plus gets great battery life. It slays any phone that I have owned in stand by time. If it had better radios, or better antennae I should say, then usage time would be better as well.
I don't know what models they all had, just saw the Apple logo on the back of them. I didn't see any smartwatches plugged in though.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Moulton

Reaction score
OK I have the Note 5 and so far so good. It feels really good in the hand, believe the hype as it relates to that. The phone is quick...I've experienced ZERO lag, not when opening the camera, not going to gallery, nothing that annoyed me from the Note 4 is here. It's also very light.

I haven't given the battery a real test yet, but I opened the box at 330pm with it at 65%...downloaded 15 apps and updated all current apps. Set up my 3 emails and got constantly pinged from work until about 8pm. Before I plugged it up i was at 48%. Camera is awesome! Anyway, my vote is yes for people who could care less about SD card or removable batteries.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK I have the Note 5 and so far so good. It feels really good in the hand, believe the hype as it relates to that. The phone is quick...I've experienced ZERO lag, not when opening the camera, not going to gallery, nothing that annoyed me from the Note 4 is here. It's also very light.

I haven't given the battery a real test yet, but I opened the box at 330pm with it at 65%...downloaded 15 apps and updated all current apps. Set up my 3 emails and got constantly pinged from work until about 8pm. Before I plugged it up i was at 48%. Camera is awesome! Anyway, my vote is yes for people who could care less about SD card or removable batteries.

Have you made any calls on it? How is the sound quality on the built in top front speaker?

Moulton

Reaction score
I made 1 call to my mom just for you bro lol. It was clear and good volume.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I made 1 call to my mom just for you bro lol. It was clear and good volume.

Dude that's awesome lol Much thanks!

This is the phone my wife and one of my youngins are moving up to. None of the online reviews mention how well it works as an actual phone though.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
3000mAh isn't really a "small" battery but I agree that for a millimeter or two of added thickness they could have likely increased the battery to even as much as 3,600mAh to 4,000mAh. The thickness of the battery at the size in surface area of these batteries makes a significant difference in the mAh. Each additional wrap of the 4 layers for each battery element inside makes it much more powerful, given there are only about 2 or 3 wraps (or overlap folds) inside the 3,000mAh battery already.

lipo%20battery%20design.jpg

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
So far I have Charged my Note 5 2x Since I bought it on Saturday. Have to say the Battery Life is acceptable @ ~24hrs. I do miss the 36-48hrs I was getting with my Droid Turbo.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So far I have Charged my Note 5 2x Since I bought it on Saturday. Have to say the Battery Life is acceptable @ ~24hrs. I do miss the 36-48hrs I was getting with my Droid Turbo.

I been hearing from several friends that the battery life has actually been great, even better than the Note 4. I am surprised but hey that is why real world reviews are more reliable than opinions based on stats. Like @cereal killer, I wrote this device off based on the battery life. Yet people I know with it swears that it is what the Note 4 should have been.

So kudos to Sammy.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I been hearing from several friends that the battery life has actually been great, even better than the Note 4. I am surprised but hey that is why real world reviews are more reliable than opinions based on stats. Like @cereal killer, I wrote this device off based on the battery life. Yet people I know with it swears that it is what the Note 4 should have been.

So kudos to Sammy.
Remember the 5 shipped with 5.1 once the Note 4 gets that update our battery life should equal or surpass the 5. 5.0 has a few issues that kill battery life.

Note 4tified

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Yeah battery life is good but not stellar. I usually get 10-12 hours at work. My battery pack bumps it up fairly fast but I still wish for a replaceable battery. The phone connected to the pack in my pocket makes a large lump.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Remember the 5 shipped with 5.1 once the Note 4 gets that update our battery life should equal or surpass the 5. 5.0 has a few issues that kill battery life.

Note 4tified
Has an update ever improved battery?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Depends on what's causing the battery issue. Using the 5.1 update as an example, there was a memory leak found in 5.0 which was causing excessive battery drain. 5.1 closed up that leak, so you saw a marked improvement.

There have been other things like project Butter or whatever it was called. I believe there was also one called project Volta. These have improved battery life some, but not nearly as much as they made it sound like they would. There are always some optimizations that can be done with an update to make things use less resources altogether, but finding and implementing them can be difficult, depending on many factors.

You also have to take into consideration your own usage of the device. If you use lots of apps that poll servers for email/news/tweets/etc on a regular basis, you're never going to get the battery life that others who don't use ANY apps like that are seeing.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
FWIW, My N5 has been off the juice since 4pm (6.5 hours) and I am at 78% with heavy use. The battery menu is predicting 22 hours remaining. Way better than my Note 4! The battery may be smaller than the one in the Note 4 but it is kicking serious backside!!

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk