Galaxy Note 3 Disappointing Specs in Benchmark; Plus GNote3 PhotoSphere Samples

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
rumored-gnote3-photosphere-sample.png

We have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 double-header for you this morning. First up, the above pic is supposedly a photosphere (Samsung S Orb) pic taken from a new GNote3. According to the EXIF data on the pic, it originated from a phone with the model number, SM-N900T. This was previously rumored to be the model of the next generation Note phablet. We have to admit to being a bit skeptical about this pic's accuracy. That is because, if you look closely, the "little child" in the pic looks like a rendered creature from a Lord of the Rings knock off. The pic was found on Picassa, so of course it could easily be a fake. It could also be that this really is a photosphere pic from a GNote3, but someone added the little hobbit just to be different.

Update: I have since found a larger version of the pic in which you can figure out that the little kid in the pic is actually real. It appears when you shrink the pic it distorts it just enough to make the child seem "strange." As it turns out, he's actually a good looking little kid, and I humbly must "eat crow" for the mistake. Rather than edit it out completely as a correction, I felt it was a necessary act of contrition to leave my mistake up for all to marvel at my absent-minded and careless accidental cruelty! :sorry:

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-III-SM-N9005.jpg

That's not all we have for you guys, but this second bit of news might be slightly disappointing if it is true. According to a supposedly leaked benchmark (pic above) for the Galaxy Note 3, it will have 2.5GB of RAM instead of the 3GB as was previously rumored. Of course, this benchmark could be a fake as well. It's worth noting that it does confirm the 2.3GHz Snapdragon 800 processor from previous rumors, so it's not all bad news. There are a few more details worth sharing. Here they are in a quote,

The display of the Note III will definitely be a Full HD one (1920 x 1080). It looks like there will be a cheaper model that sports an LCD screen, while the regular, more expensive Note III is getting an AMOLED panel. Another alleged difference between the two versions is the rear camera: 8MP vs 13MP. As for the screen size, this will likely be 5.68 inches regardless of the model.

EVleaks has it that the S Pen functionality of the Note III is “the same” as on the first two Notes. ~ UnWiredView

As you can see, this second rumor is coming from @evleaks, which is usually a reliable source of info. It wouldn't surprise us in the least if Samsung was planning a cheaper version of the GNote3 for emerging markets. Luckily, the big reveal is tomorrow from Samsung and we will get all of this cleared up, forthwith!

Source: PhoneArena

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Gonna feel real bad if that picture is real and you just called someone's poor kid Golem. :)

I can't tell if I am excited about this phone or not. My wife still has a Bionic so I am looking for a replacement for me to give her my S4. The Moto X was just not enough phone for me so that went back, I think this might be the one I pull the trigger on as a replacement.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Didnt the s4 have rumors of a "disappointing benchmark". Unless the benchmarks equates to sluggishness it may not be all that bad. As far as the note 3's specs, the note 2 was and still is revolutionary and at quad core 2 gigs of ram a 2 year phone. The main upgrade that could have been done with the n3 is the screen resolution as the n2 basically has every thing you could need in a phone. So if all Samsung does is change the resolution, bump up the speed, and a little more ram, and improve the camera software then it will be an awesome phone. Would it be something I would leave my n2 for, nope but I love my n2 and really have no desire to part from it. Plus once it gets 4.3 we will see even more improvement in the software.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Didnt the s4 have rumors of a "disappointing benchmark". Unless the benchmarks equates to sluggishness it may not be all that bad. As far as the note 3's specs, the note 2 was and still is revolutionary and at quad core 2 gigs of ram a 2 year phone. The main upgrade that could have been done with the n3 is the screen resolution as the n2 basically has every thing you could need in a phone. So if all Samsung does is change the resolution, bump up the speed, and a little more ram, and improve the camera software then it will be an awesome phone. Would it be something I would leave my n2 for, nope but I love my n2 and really have no desire to part from it. Plus once it gets 4.3 we will see even more improvement in the software.

Yeah I am not sure already having the S4 it is going to be enough more better stuff for me to burn an upgrade on it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had read before about the lcd vs amoled difference in camera but didn't know that's what it meant. It didn't elaborate on there possibly being 2 different models being released. As for it going to emerging markets, I'd think it would more likely be LCD= Verizon, amoled= everyone else :D.
2.5 gb of ram is still a lot more than my current phone so that would still be a huge plus to go with faster processor.
I'll be honest, I'm sick of Verizon, am 99.9% sure I'm leaving but was starting to Jones for a Note 3. Thankfully buying a Note8 has cured my itch and I'm back to looking at carriers only instead of "will they carry the Note3, how will a Note3 work on my new carrier, etc" also.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gonna feel real bad if that picture is real and you just called someone's poor kid Golem. :)

Yeah. I thought of this when I wrote it, and I even went back and looked at it zoomed in. I am crossing my fingers that it isn't a real person, or if it is, it's just a trick of the light, and the photographer thought the same thing I did afterwards. I LOL at your response! :D

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
So what is the deal here? I am ready to buy the N3 at retail (so I don't lose unlimited data). Is it worth it or not???

combatmedic870

Reaction score
So what is the deal here? I am ready to buy the N3 at retail (so I don't lose unlimited data). Is it worth it or not???
I'm sure it will be well worth it. I plan to do the same. I hope. It needs to have an improved Wacom processor. Quick charge 2 as well.
processor speed isn't really on the top 10 list. It's going to be a beast regardless.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

If it is anything like the n2 then yes. I expect it to be an improved n2. So I wouldn't go from n2 to n3 but if I was in the market for a phone I would get the n3.

bigdad63

Reaction score
They would have had my full retail commitment if they had instituted front facing speakers. Oh well, back to HTC.

jgmecarter

Reaction score
The note 2 is the first phone that I have carried for almost a year. I got the S4 played with it for a couple of days and now my 10 year old son uses it. I am ready for a new phone to use every day so bi will be ordering one the second it becomes available

Carol_in_FL

Reaction score
My question - Will the Note 3 be good enough for me to consider giving up a physical keyboard (on my D3)? How is the virtual keyboard on the Note 2? Is it easy to use because of the larger size/stylus? I would appreciate some comments by current Note 2 users whose prior phone was a Droid 3 or 4 as to how they like the keyboard on the Note 2 and what specs they think the Note 3's keyboard should have.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I don't have a Note but I can tell you as a long time blackberry user and former DROID PRO user, coming to a virtual keyboard was rough.

However, after using swift key, I no longer miss the real keyboard. It will take you some time so if you do switch don't get frustrated.

Hope this helps some. I think I will be getting the Note 3 myself, looks like it might be a real good device.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

NOVICE

Reaction score
Am torn. Have had the Note 2 since December, and as others have remarked, it's the first time I didn't lust for an upgrade.

I truly use the phone 24/7. I'm sometimes on the Internet 6 to 7 hours during the day as I wait in courtrooms waiting for my cases to be called.

And in the evening I wear a bluetooth ear piece while I sleep and play podcasts all night. Acts like a sleeping aid.

Not nessarily normal behavior. But given this use profile I have never had one problem with the phone. Ever.

Still, the improved resolution and slightly larger screen size of the Note 3 is tempting.