Galaxy Nexus

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yet it has no problems running the same, and even more powerful apps, as Android.

do you even understand the importance of ram? Doesn't really sound like it from your response. You can't argue with specs...512mb ...that's it. Its not having an effect on 1 app running.

Maybe apple will also include HDMI output and Bluetooth mouse support with their new phones...then sue android for the technology in a smart phone...oh wait... that's right android already does that

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

JJDH

Reaction score
All I can say is the iphone is a nice device. If Samsung would polish the nexus with the best hardware and most options it would be the superior device.

Sent with Gnex on the green tap

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I won't lie, sometimes it's a lot of fun watching people get so worked up when the iPhone is mentioned.

Especially the iPhone folks lol. I actually almost went to one waiting for the nexus. I'm glad I waited

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Especially the iPhone folks lol. I actually almost went to one waiting for the nexus. I'm glad I waited

I personally really like Apple products, more so Mac's than iOS devices, but I am guilty of it too getting sucked into the Android vs iPhone convos. It's like a weak spot for me, I just can't quit them, haha.

IDroid4s

Reaction score
lmao the classic android vs iphone argument! both phones are great! thats why i have both!:icon_ lala:

nleksan

Reaction score
All this iPhone vs Android stuff is really old, don't you think, guys? I mean, everyone here knows that each has pros and cons, and if you're on this site it's likely because the Android Pro's:Con's ratio is MUCH more in favor of Pro's than is the iPhones... for YOU.

Don't get me wrong, I can't stand using an iPhone; it feels like I'm playing with a toy, not a smartphone, and with tech stuff (computers, phones, TV's, home theaters; even my car!) I HATE having the same exact thing as everyone else with nothing I can do about it; I am a big-time "tinkerer" by nature, and a non-rooted Android Phone offers more customization and a "tailored-to-your-needs" user experience that even "jail-broken" iPhones can't come close to.

I am not so much an Android fanboy, I just really dislike Apple. I think they offer mediocre-quality products at a ultra-premium price, and manage to sell MILLIONS of each product by constantly talking about its "exclusivity"... *scratches head*

I also am not being unfair here. I gave Apple a chance just 2-3 months ago (-ish) when I decided I wanted a new laptop, and honestly the MacBook Pro's (17") look so darn nice with their uni-body "made from one solid piece of aluminum" shell, their a-bit-above-average screens, and decent keyboards (although the keyboards are absolute JUNK compared to a Windows Desktop mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX switches). I knew they were expensive, but I decided to go have a look for myself at the Apple Store.
GOOD GOD! I just about fainted when I saw the 17" MB-P STARTING AT $2500!!! That's with a Core i7 26x0m, ONLY 4GB of DDR3-1333 RAM(!!!), a 750GB 5400rpm HDD, and a Radeon HD6770M 1GB... That's the base model, and it's two and a half grand!
So, I configured my own to see how much it would cost to get one that meets my needs...
MACBOOK PRO 17
2.5ghz Intel Core i7 2.5ghz Quad-Core CPU
8GB SO-DIMM DDR3-1333 RAM (2x4GB)
256GB Solid State Drive (SATA3.0Gbs; only ONE storage drive!) -OR- 512GB Solid State Drive (SATA3.0Gbs)
AMD ATI Radeon HD6770M 1GB GDDR5 PCI-e 2.0 x16 Discrete Graphics Card
"SuperDrive 8x" Optical Disc Drive (DVD±R/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
17" 1920x1080p "Hi-Res Anti-Glare" Matte Screen
Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter, Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter, "Magsafe" Airline Adapter, 2.0m Thunderbolt Cable
TOTAL PRICE: $3,897 (256GB SSD) $4473 (512GB SSD)
***AND THAT IS WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY OUTSIDE OF THEIR "INCLUDED 90 DAY" CR*P****
With their Extended Protection Plan plus their One-on-One Immediate Support Thing, at $349 and $99 respectively, the new totals would be:
$4345 (256GB SSD) $4921 (512GB SSD)
Then, taking into account the 6.5% Sales Tax, you're looking at:
$4627.43 (256GB) $5240.87 (512GB)

That is for ONE 17" laptop with 8GB of RAM, a two-generation-old video card, a CPU that will be outdated in 45-70 days, and a TOTAL of 512GB of storage. So, considering this would be for work/school (everything from confidential research to Grad-level papers/thesis, as well as demanding 3D chemical modeling programs and simulations, photo and 1080p video editing, and internet browsing; not the main PC but I need one that is powerful but portable as the crazy water cooling on my high-performance rig at home is a bit tricky to move...), and data redundancy is incredibly important, to the point that I need at least 4 physical backups and 2 "cloud-based" backups, I would also need the following:
- Secondary Data Backup on Home Network (RAID10, 4x2TB WD CavBlk 7200RPM HDDs, USB3.0/eSATA6Gbs) $750
- Backup Power Supply for Network RAID Array (APC Green Surge-Protector/Backup Power Supply with Intelligent Power Monitoring; 180min backup power) $600
- Another Dual-Band 450+450 a/b/g/n High-Performance Router (with Gigabit Ethernet, USB3.0, and eSATA support) $200
- Another RAID1 Array for my Home Server (2x2TB WD CavBlk 7.2krpm HDD's, SATA6.0Gbs) $350

All said and done, it would cost about $6600 (256GB) or $7500 (512GB) to get a MacBook Pro that would suit my needs, and then integrate it into my PC-only home network.
Just so you understand... SEVEN THOUSAND AND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR A FREAKING LAPTOP!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
It's not even that good of a laptop! Yet it's their most powerful "portable workstation", they simply don't offer anything with more "muscle". I could get a laptop that would EQUAL the performance of the MacBook, have at least 90% of the physical durability, and it would cost MAYBE $1.6-2k and that's with two data drives (one 256GB SSD and one 750GB 7.2krpm HDD). For the cost of the MB Pro, you can get a laptop with an 18.5" screen or bigger, a genuine 6-core i7 SandyBridge CPU, 16GB Triple-Channel RAM (if not more), two storage drives (one SSD and one Hybrid Drive), a Blu-Ray Burner, and the current flagship mobile graphics card (I would guess NVidia GTX 580M 1.6GB or AMD/ATI Radeon HD6970M 2GB or something? Don't keep up much on MOBILE GPU's); and you wouldn't have to spend another $180 just to have the "privilege" of being able to hook the laptop up to a bigger screen/television/projector via DVI/HDMI by using a bunch of adapters that exist solely to take your money because you're a Mac fanboy.

- Was the iPod a fantastic move forward in portable music? Yes, ABSOLUTELY. (IT WAS NOT a "Revolution")
- Did the iPhone (Ver1.0) play a huge role in bringing smartphones to the mainstream? No Doubt!
- Are the effects of the MacBook Air still being seen in the mobile PC industry? More and more Every Day (although I think other, new "ultra-portables" have the MB-A beat)
- Did the iPad live up to its hype? No, not even close, but it DID make tablets popular amongst, well, everyone...

- Has Android matured to the point where it is a truly superior concept (and for the most part, execution) for smartphones compared to the iPhone/iOS? UNDOUBTEDLY
- Is the idea of an open-source marketplace (along with a "modding" community tens/hundreds-of-thousands strong) superior to the company YOU ALREAD PAID HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS TO for their phone controlling what you can and cannot do with your[SUB](their)[/SUB] phone? ABSOLUTELY
- Is it not better to constantly innovate, create, improve, and enhance a company's offerings than it is to rehash old ideas/products by putting them in a new case and selling them as the greatest creation yet, i.e.: (iPod v1,2,3,4/iPod Mini v1,2/iPod Nano v1,2,3,4/iPod Classic/iPod Touch v1,2,3/iPod Shuffle v1,2,3,4,5etc; iPhone, iPhone3G, iPhone3GS, iPhone4, iPhone4S; iPad, iPad2; HALF OF THOSE THINGS LOOK IDENTICAL!)?? OF COURSE!

Does anyone notice how we Galaxy Nexus owners mostly consider Google having essentially a direct line into our phones ONE OF THE BEST PARTS OF IT?
Does anyone else notice how one of the biggest "cons" of the iPhone is that APPLE IS CONSTANTLY IN CONTROL OF EVERYTHING YOU CAN SEE OR DO ON IT?

Google gives away its Android OS FREE to developers, phone manufacturers, etc.
Apple has the mindset that the phone you just paid $450 for isn't actually YOURS, rather, you are just paying to use THEIR INVENTION.

NOW TELL ME: HOW IS APPLE A GOOD COMPANY? They are more money hungry than 99% of corporations in the world while at the same time trying to convince everyone that they are the "cool, new, hip, misunderstood, underdog company" and that Google is a power-hungry evil giant faceless corporation that secretly hides code in its programs that, when the Big Red Button at Google Headquarters is pushed, will cause every Android phone to promptly initiate self-awareness and then crawl up into your @SS while you sleep and destroy you from the inside out.
Yet, ironically, the same people who believe this are the ones who are getting bent over and taking it from behind by Apple RIGHT NOW! But hey, as long as it's "cool"...

Gah, I do apologize for the rant. I was not anti-Apple AT ALL until I went looking at their MacBook Pro's and after getting over my initial shock, literally LAUGHING in the "Team Member's" face when he told me the price and couldn't even tell me what model CPU was in the thing. They are insane.
They make a few nice products, but unlike other "higher-end companies" (as Apple clearly wants to be) such as BMW, Porsche, Maingear, Lian-Li, Samsung, Sony, Harmon Kardon, Heckler & Koch, Polk/Klipsch, and so on, with Apple you DON'T GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, you get an average product encased in an aluminum Uni-Body Illusion of Quality.

Feel free to disagree, I am happy to debate this because it is MY OPINION based on MY EXPERIENCE. Others will have different opinions, and so long as they are legitimate (backed up by SOMETHING), then I will respect it and you; but flaming someone based on their opinion, especially after providing examples, is just pathetic.
However, I do believe most on this forum are significantly above "flaming", so we shall see...

My fingers hurt... time to go watch some TV.

Sincerely,
nleksan

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
All this iPhone vs Android stuff is really old, don't you think, guys? I mean, everyone here knows that each has pros and cons, and if you're on this site it's likely because the Android Pro's:Con's ratio is MUCH more in favor of Pro's than is the iPhones... for YOU.

Don't get me wrong, I can't stand using an iPhone; it feels like I'm playing with a toy, not a smartphone, and with tech stuff (computers, phones, TV's, home theaters; even my car!) I HATE having the same exact thing as everyone else with nothing I can do about it; I am a big-time "tinkerer" by nature, and a non-rooted Android Phone offers more customization and a "tailored-to-your-needs" user experience that even "jail-broken" iPhones can't come close to.

I am not so much an Android fanboy, I just really dislike Apple. I think they offer mediocre-quality products at a ultra-premium price, and manage to sell MILLIONS of each product by constantly talking about its "exclusivity"... *scratches head*

I also am not being unfair here. I gave Apple a chance just 2-3 months ago (-ish) when I decided I wanted a new laptop, and honestly the MacBook Pro's (17") look so darn nice with their uni-body "made from one solid piece of aluminum" shell, their a-bit-above-average screens, and decent keyboards (although the keyboards are absolute JUNK compared to a Windows Desktop mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX switches). I knew they were expensive, but I decided to go have a look for myself at the Apple Store.
GOOD GOD! I just about fainted when I saw the 17" MB-P STARTING AT $2500!!! That's with a Core i7 26x0m, ONLY 4GB of DDR3-1333 RAM(!!!), a 750GB 5400rpm HDD, and a Radeon HD6770M 1GB... That's the base model, and it's two and a half grand!
So, I configured my own to see how much it would cost to get one that meets my needs...
MACBOOK PRO 17
256GB Solid State Drive (SATA3.0Gbs; only ONE storage drive!) -OR- 512GB Solid State Drive (SATA3.0Gbs)
Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter, Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter, "Magsafe" Airline Adapter, 2.0m Thunderbolt Cable
With their Extended Protection Plan plus their One-on-One Immediate Support Thing, at $349 and $99 respectively, the new totals would be:

That is for ONE 17" laptop with 8GB of RAM, a two-generation-old video card, a CPU that will be outdated in 45-70 days, and a TOTAL of 512GB of storage. So, considering this would be for work/school (everything from confidential research to Grad-level papers/thesis, as well as demanding 3D chemical modeling programs and simulations, photo and 1080p video editing, and internet browsing; not the main PC but I need one that is powerful but portable as the crazy water cooling on my high-performance rig at home is a bit tricky to move...), and data redundancy is incredibly important, to the point that I need at least 4 physical backups and 2 "cloud-based" backups, I would also need the following:
- Secondary Data Backup on Home Network (RAID10, 4x2TB WD CavBlk 7200RPM HDDs, USB3.0/eSATA6Gbs) $750
- Backup Power Supply for Network RAID Array (APC Green Surge-Protector/Backup Power Supply with Intelligent Power Monitoring; 180min backup power) $600
- Another Dual-Band 450+450 a/b/g/n High-Performance Router (with Gigabit Ethernet, USB3.0, and eSATA support) $200
- Another RAID1 Array for my Home Server (2x2TB WD CavBlk 7.2krpm HDD's, SATA6.0Gbs) $350

All said and done, it would cost about $6600 (256GB) or $7500 (512GB) to get a MacBook Pro that would suit my needs, and then integrate it into my PC-only home network.
Just so you understand... SEVEN THOUSAND AND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR A FREAKING LAPTOP!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
It's not even that good of a laptop! Yet it's their most powerful "portable workstation", they simply don't offer anything with more "muscle". I could get a laptop that would EQUAL the performance of the MacBook, have at least 90% of the physical durability, and it would cost MAYBE $1.6-2k and that's with two data drives (one 256GB SSD and one 750GB 7.2krpm HDD). For the cost of the MB Pro, you can get a laptop with an 18.5" screen or bigger, a genuine 6-core i7 SandyBridge CPU, 16GB Triple-Channel RAM (if not more), two storage drives (one SSD and one Hybrid Drive), a Blu-Ray Burner, and the current flagship mobile graphics card (I would guess NVidia GTX 580M 1.6GB or AMD/ATI Radeon HD6970M 2GB or something? Don't keep up much on MOBILE GPU's); and you wouldn't have to spend another $180 just to have the "privilege" of being able to hook the laptop up to a bigger screen/television/projector via DVI/HDMI by using a bunch of adapters that exist solely to take your money because you're a Mac fanboy.

- Was the iPod a fantastic move forward in portable music? Yes, ABSOLUTELY. (IT WAS NOT a "Revolution")
- Did the iPhone (Ver1.0) play a huge role in bringing smartphones to the mainstream? No Doubt!
- Are the effects of the MacBook Air still being seen in the mobile PC industry? More and more Every Day (although I think other, new "ultra-portables" have the MB-A beat)
- Did the iPad live up to its hype? No, not even close, but it DID make tablets popular amongst, well, everyone...

- Has Android matured to the point where it is a truly superior concept (and for the most part, execution) for smartphones compared to the iPhone/iOS? UNDOUBTEDLY
- Is the idea of an open-source marketplace (along with a "modding" community tens/hundreds-of-thousands strong) superior to the company YOU ALREAD PAID HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS TO for their phone controlling what you can and cannot do with your[SUB](their)[/SUB] phone? ABSOLUTELY
- Is it not better to constantly innovate, create, improve, and enhance a company's offerings than it is to rehash old ideas/products by putting them in a new case and selling them as the greatest creation yet, i.e.: (iPod v1,2,3,4/iPod Mini v1,2/iPod Nano v1,2,3,4/iPod Classic/iPod Touch v1,2,3/iPod Shuffle v1,2,3,4,5etc; iPhone, iPhone3G, iPhone3GS, iPhone4, iPhone4S; iPad, iPad2; HALF OF THOSE THINGS LOOK IDENTICAL!)?? OF COURSE!

Does anyone notice how we Galaxy Nexus owners mostly consider Google having essentially a direct line into our phones ONE OF THE BEST PARTS OF IT?
Does anyone else notice how one of the biggest "cons" of the iPhone is that APPLE IS CONSTANTLY IN CONTROL OF EVERYTHING YOU CAN SEE OR DO ON IT?

Apple has the mindset that the phone you just paid $450 for isn't actually YOURS, rather, you are just paying to use THEIR INVENTION.

NOW TELL ME: HOW IS APPLE A GOOD COMPANY? They are more money hungry than 99% of corporations in the world while at the same time trying to convince everyone that they are the "cool, new, hip, misunderstood, underdog company" and that Google is a power-hungry evil giant faceless corporation that secretly hides code in its programs that, when the Big Red Button at Google Headquarters is pushed, will cause every Android phone to promptly initiate self-awareness and then crawl up into your @SS while you sleep and destroy you from the inside out.
Yet, ironically, the same people who believe this are the ones who are getting bent over and taking it from behind by Apple RIGHT NOW! But hey, as long as it's "cool"...

Gah, I do apologize for the rant. I was not anti-Apple AT ALL until I went looking at their MacBook Pro's and after getting over my initial shock, literally LAUGHING in the "Team Member's" face when he told me the price and couldn't even tell me what model CPU was in the thing. They are insane.
They make a few nice products, but unlike other "higher-end companies" (as Apple clearly wants to be) such as BMW, Porsche, Maingear, Lian-Li, Samsung, Sony, Harmon Kardon, Heckler & Koch, Polk/Klipsch, and so on, with Apple you DON'T GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, you get an average product encased in an aluminum Uni-Body Illusion of Quality.

Feel free to disagree, I am happy to debate this because it is MY OPINION based on MY EXPERIENCE. Others will have different opinions, and so long as they are legitimate (backed up by SOMETHING), then I will respect it and you; but flaming someone based on their opinion, especially after providing examples, is just pathetic.
However, I do believe most on this forum are significantly above "flaming", so we shall see...

Sincerely,
nleksan

13.1" Lightweight Performance Laptop | VAIO Signature Collection Z Series | VPCZ21SHX/X | Sony USA

the end

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Unless you are going to build your own computer, which 99% of PC owners don't do, the Mac prices are pretty comparable to PC prices.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

MACBOOK PRO 17

Sincerely,
nleksan

It's all fine and well you need to write a novel to prove you don't like Apple and think their products are terrible. But I have owned Macs, in fact just sold my first Mac Mini that I bought in 2007 which ran as well the day I sold it as the day I bought it. I payed 600 dollars for that thing in 2007 and I would say I got a pretty good deal, had absolutely no repairs to make, upgraded memory 1 time to a whopping 3gb's that cost me all of 25 dollars, didn't spend a dime on virus protection. You also don't need most of those adapters you listed. I had a dvi to hdmi adapter and a hdmi cable and I was good to go. So while you are spending an additional amount of money through the 5 years I used my Mac, you end up spending far more than I did.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Better that than an iPhone.

Yea android should take notes on restoring everything the same way. Apple took notes from android at least with a lot of things. Cant believe the first iPhones couldn't mms or multitask until the 3gs...lmao.

And no iPhone call quality is terrible and as far as dropped calls go, they're pretty normal for iPhone users.

Spare the "idk what you're talking about I never drop calls" cause then that would make you one in a million.

You don't have any idea what you're talking about, so I'll just say that you need to do some research or have real-world use before speaking. iPhones do not drop calls any more often than Android phones. You must be an AT&T user?

ConqSoft

Reaction score
The nex does backup and restore. You gotta pay to expand...and monthly fees..not a 1 time payment. I'm referring to call quality on the other end of the call . Everyone I receive a phone call from with an iPhone sounds like they are trying to swallow it.

You mean this?

[GUIDE] Full Phone Backup without Unlock or Root - xda-developers

Yeah, that's easy to do. </sarcasm> Google could do it up right if they wanted to. They already do it with a lot of the phone settings, they just need to expand on that, have the ability to backup app settings, and do it wirelessly and seamlessly.

As for quality, again, since I use both daily, I can attest that everyone I speak to says I'm clearer on the iPhone. Not saying the Nexus is bad; just not as good.

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You mean this?

[GUIDE] Full Phone Backup without Unlock or Root - xda-developers

Yeah, that's easy to do. </sarcasm> Google could do it up right if they wanted to. They already do it with a lot of the phone settings, they just need to expand on that, have the ability to backup app settings, and do it wirelessly and seamlessly.

As for quality, again, since I use both daily, I can attest that everyone I speak to says I'm clearer on the iPhone. Not saying the Nexus is bad; just not as good.

No that's not what I'm talking about. The nexus has Google restore. This is incorporated into 4.0 . Photos to picasa...Google plus..settings...browser...mail...calendars etc all backed to Google servers. Even remembers saved wifi passwords. When a new rom is flashed...all apps are restored...settings restored....and app settings restore if the app saves data to your virtual SD card.

OK...YOUR iPhone may sound OK but 6 of my friends have the 4 and 4s's and they sound like they are making out with their phone when they speak. I say "what" to them more than anyone I talk to.

And Google syncs wirelessly ...always have . And it does it throughout the day...not just on wifi when I plug into a charger

ConqSoft

Reaction score
You gotta pay to expand...and monthly fees..not a 1 time payment.

Incorrect, yet again. Not monthly. Yearly. Not so much different than Google, actually. A bit pricier.

Attachments

• googlestorage.JPG
    googlestorage.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Photo Feb 01, 10 47 55 PM.png
    Photo Feb 01, 10 47 55 PM.png
    88.3 KB · Views: 194