Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez

gnexusvolume.png

There's been a lot of talk of the volume bug on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus ever since it surfaced over at XDA several days ago where some users reported that the phone would automatically change the volume and mute. The problem was documented when the Galaxy Nexus is placed close to another phone that's making a call on the 900MHz GSM band. Initially they thought that the Galaxy Nexus had inadequate shielding, and the interference was causing the handset to rapidly trigger the volume down button...

After gaining much attention on Google's Bug Tracker Site, Android Police reached out to Android PR and got the following response:

quote_icon.png
We are aware of the volume issue and have developed a fix. We will update devices as soon as possible.

Well there you have it folks, looks like the volume bug on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus is a software issue and not hardware related afterall. No word yet on when the patch will be available but it's good to know that Google is already working on a fix.

Source: Galaxy Nexus Forum via Android Police

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Us in the states, probably don't need to worry about this since it's most likely one of the things they're working on causing the delay on VZW...

alundra56

Reaction score
At least they are focusing on fixing the phone up vs. just sending out a buggy crap phone just to gain sales before Christmas.

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
At least they are focusing on fixing the phone up vs. just sending out a buggy crap phone just to gain sales before Christmas.

I agree. Would rather have for a bug free phone.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
A phone with a few minor bugs would still be a huge upgrade over the OG Droid. I'm tired of waiting. Who knows how long this will take to play out.

As for "software issue", I'd guess almost 100% of problems are software related, barring simply a bad component. Nothing is really "new" hardware at this point and I trust the phone manufacturers to be able to get the hardware to work, but of course there will be some software issues to work out.

creaky

Reaction score
Perhaps this explains an absence of a release date. Let's hope that the bug is squashed and we get the GNex in our hands soon.

[witty pun concerning the current ROM and custom memory script on my device]

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would speculate that this may be both a hardware and software issue, that software could fix. Perhaps the software could tell the hardware to ignore certain 900mhz frequencies, for instance.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score

Bugs or no bugs, THIS is the reason to get a Nexus. Fast updates directly from Google.

If this was any other phone, Verizon would either a) release it with bugs, then customers would have to wait months for a fix (Thunderbolt?) or, b) hold back release for many months, then release outdated hardware (Bionic?).

R

RETG

A phone with a few minor bugs would still be a huge upgrade over the OG Droid. I'm tired of waiting. Who knows how long this will take to play out.

As for "software issue", I'd guess almost 100% of problems are software related, barring simply a bad component. Nothing is really "new" hardware at this point and I trust the phone manufacturers to be able to get the hardware to work, but of course there will be some software issues to work out.

That "nothing is really "new" hardware" is what worries me. The Fascinate had a terrible radio so phone reception was terrible and the reason I returned it after two days of use. I am really hoping that the radio is upgraded and as strong as my Droid X. If it isn't...I'll stay with the X or wait for something better to come along from a company that produces a phone with a good radio.

mrmark27

Reaction score
I wonder if Google may have requested the delays. With this being their flagship phone, I could see them wanting to clear up this issue before it is released, rather than look bad by releasing a phone that users struggle with calls on. It would look bad for both them and samsung if the Nexus was released with such a major bug as the volume dropping randomly

Reaction score
Bugs or no bugs, THIS is the reason to get a Nexus. Fast updates directly from Google.

If this was any other phone, Verizon would either a) release it with bugs, then customers would have to wait months for a fix (Thunderbolt?) or, b) hold back release for many months, then release outdated hardware (Bionic?).

You beat me to it. This is why the phone is worth the wait. It will be the most future proof of the RAZR and Rezound. We will have updates and bug fixes quickly and also prob the next 2 Android versions if they continue to develop like they have.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I'll take it despite the volume glitch. People on the phone with me should be listening and not talking anyway! ;)