Galaxy Nexus' true reception

illmatic636

Reaction score
Moto has always had superior radios compared to all the other manufactures.
I'll wait until the Moto Nexus comes out to rock a pure google device.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Moto has always had superior radios compared to all the other manufactures.
I'll wait until the Moto Nexus comes out to rock a pure google device.

Not any more. Have you seen the signal problem threads in the Bionic and Razr sections? In the 4G world, it seems the Rezound has taken the # 1 spot.

techinv

Reaction score
It seems like the GNex is getting a bad rep for having terrible reception. I see so many people in the GN forums complaining that they "don't got no bars". Also there is a plethora of nexus bashing in the RAZR and rezound forums. Now I understand that some people just get bad phones...it happens. And yes, there is a know 3G/4G hand off issue that plagues all 4G LTE devices (as I understand it). However, in my personal experience, I get better reception (voice AND data) than both my D1 and D2. I am sitting here now in my room with zero bars, and I have absolutely no problems connecting to the internet. With my D1 and D2, I had to sit at the edge of my bed with my phone over my left knee to get internet (1 bar). I think too many people are blowing the whistle on this device without ACTUALLY testing it. Again, let me reiterate, I realize there are some people who actually DO have problem phones. But does anyone share the same experience as me? My reception may not LOOK good, but as long as it acts good I don't care.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

+1 for this. I get better 3G coverage with the GNex in the same locations than I did with my Dinc.

What is not working as well for me is when I turn on/off 4G or wifi. The handoff between the different radios doesn't always go smoothly.
However, interestingly enough, during my commute (most of which is underground where there is no signal at all of any type) when I get
back above ground, the 3G picks up right away.

alboboy10

Reaction score
The best radios for me have been HTC devices. Idk why Motorola has this reputation for great radios cause mind didn't have great radios. Just a rumor started in forums probably.

Nealius

Reaction score
I'm seeing the same on my phone -93 never changes. I retry the sensorly app again on my daughters phone the reading was again impossible to achieve. So the app is not a valid tool to compare phones. So much for that helping the problem

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

lazarus2297

Reaction score
I'm seeing the same on my phone -93 never changes. I retry the sensorly app again on my daughters phone the reading was again impossible to achieve. So the app is not a valid tool to compare phones. So much for that helping the problem

its a good tool for comparing 4G and 3G signals on the same phone well at least the Galaxy Nexus not sure about any other phones..

alboboy10

Reaction score
I'm in a basement boiler room now. Zero bars. Surfing the web somehow.

gibsonlp223

Reaction score
I'm loling reading this thread right now. I get 3-4 everywhere I go, but on the rare occasion I get down to 1 or 2 bars I STILL get blazing fast browsing speed, all while using the luxurious ICS. flame me all you want, anyone who isn't using ics is missing out.

#comeatmebro

thehogsters

Reaction score
I was out in bfe at work with 2 co workers. Both had oldet smart phones. They both got some 3g. I got nothing. They need to fix this!:mad:

sling0

Reaction score
My house has/does get horrible reception, however verizon is the best of all the cell carriers for reception at my house. On my OG droid i got signal everywhere BUT my bedroom for data. Phone had to be by a window to get a signal in there. With the iphone 4 my 3g signal was solid. With the Gnex my 4g is solid unless I move the phone to the absolute interiormost wall. And speeds are still blazing fast. 15-20mbps with -100 to -110dbm signal.

At my girlfriends house, I'm right under a tower, 5 bars of signal, and have seen download speeds as high as 45mbps with uploads in the high 30's.

At my office, which is in another rough area for signal, inside a metal building, my signal is again in the -95 to -110 dbm range. My OG droid got no reception here, the iphone got no voice reception here. The gnex gets 2 bars of 4g and download speeds of 10-12 mbps.

My home internet from AT&T is 12mbps but only links at 9mbps. Our office internet is 4 bonded T1's (6mbps top throughput shared by 10-15 users). I'd say the 4g is a winner :)

I have only had 1 dropped call on the gnex, I CONSTANTLY dropped calls on the OG droid.

Your mileage may vary, however right now I have no reason to complain at all. As far as taking a rezound or razr over the gnex for a slightly better signal, I'll pass... Not to start a flame war here but the razr is ergonomically challenged and has a smaller screen. Its also not a GED. The rezound has a snapdragon and a smaller screen. It too, is not a GED. I wanted a phone that would rival/surpass the OG Droid in developer activity, and in the gnex I have met that desire with flying colors and the phone has only been released for a month. I do not believe that razr and the rezound combined will offer 1/4 of the dev activity
or lifecycle support from the manufacturer that the gnex will receive.

TL;DR if you have dropped calls, dont want to do the baseband update, or just have a flake of a device, try exchanging it first before getting a different phone.

gibsonlp223

Reaction score
My house has/does get horrible reception, however verizon is the best of all the cell carriers for reception at my house. On my OG droid i got signal everywhere BUT my bedroom for data. Phone had to be by a window to get a signal in there. With the iphone 4 my 3g signal was solid. With the Gnex my 4g is solid unless I move the phone to the absolute interiormost wall. And speeds are still blazing fast. 15-20mbps with -100 to -110dbm signal.

At my girlfriends house, I'm right under a tower, 5 bars of signal, and have seen download speeds as high as 45mbps with uploads in the high 30's.

At my office, which is in another rough area for signal, inside a metal building, my signal is again in the -95 to -110 dbm range. My OG droid got no reception here, the iphone got no voice reception here. The gnex gets 2 bars of 4g and download speeds of 10-12 mbps.

My home internet from AT&T is 12mbps but only links at 9mbps. Our office internet is 4 bonded T1's (6mbps top throughput shared by 10-15 users). I'd say the 4g is a winner :)

I have only had 1 dropped call on the gnex, I CONSTANTLY dropped calls on the OG droid.

Your mileage may vary, however right now I have no reason to complain at all. As far as taking a rezound or razr over the gnex for a slightly better signal, I'll pass... Not to start a flame war here but the razr is ergonomically challenged and has a smaller screen. Its also not a GED. The rezound has a snapdragon and a smaller screen. It too, is not a GED. I wanted a phone that would rival/surpass the OG Droid in developer activity, and in the gnex I have met that desire with flying colors and the phone has only been released for a month. I do not believe that razr and the rezound combined will offer 1/4 of the dev activity
or lifecycle support from the manufacturer that the gnex will receive.

TL;DR if you have dropped calls, dont want to do the baseband update, or just have a flake of a device, try exchanging it first before getting a different phone.

Right here. All the way baby.

LostRacer

Reaction score
I was always under the impression that the signal bars were phone strength not data. For instance, you have 0 bars and great 4G or Vice versa. You have full bars and no data at all. Like when the "Data" network went down, you were still able to make phone calls pending on the strength of your bars. No data though. I guess I'm curious what most are expecting? I've never seen the bars used to display "Data" throughput. Only phone signal. What difference "honestly" does it make if you're getting 15Mbs down as opposed to 30Mbps? Are you really noticing a difference? Other than torrents ar file sharing you're not going to be able to tell the difference. Between 3 and 4G is a different matter altogether. But sticking to the subject, are you ALWAYS on it to have to have it availble at will? With the expection of being in particular buildings my Gnex has performed satisfactorily. I didn't expect a perfect phone, asa matter of fact being new I expected more flaws out of it. No signal issues here and with data I either have it or I don't. The dbm doesn't matter as long as its working. The extra 1 second of waiting for a download shouldn't kill anyone.:huh: