Galaxy Nexus tethering app after rooting

RedShade

Reaction score
Ever since I got my Galaxy Nexus yesterday all I wanted to do was root it and get wifi tethering working without having to pay the extra $30 a month... I have :)
The app I'm using that works great is "Wifi Hostspot and USB Tether". There is a free trial, although to keep using it for longer than 2 days you will have to purchase it for about $10. Well worth it in my opinion.

KaosMcRage

Reaction score
Ever since I got my Galaxy Nexus yesterday all I wanted to do was root it and get wifi tethering working without having to pay the extra $30 a month... I have :)
The app I'm using that works great is "Wifi Hostspot and USB Tether". There is a free trial, although to keep using it for longer than 2 days you will have to purchase it for about $10. Well worth it in my opinion.
Some comments on the market page for the app indicate it only does what the built-in tethering options already do and you still need a tethering plan. They're mistaken, by your account?

RedShade

Reaction score
Currently when I go into the built-in Portable WiFi hotspot it comes up with a prompt saying that it is searching for the subscription then says I need to subscribe... I have never subscribed for this service. When I open the WiFi Hotspot and USB Tether app I start WiFi tethering and have no problem. Before I got this app I have tried open Barnacle, m900 wireless and Open Garden. I received errors when trying to start all of these, not allowing the WiFi tethering to work properly. With WiFi hotspot and USB tether I start it and get no errors. There is a free 2 day trial of the app also that you can try if you are hesitant about paying the $9.99.

Cinoib

Reaction score
Some comments on the market page for the app indicate it only does what the built-in tethering options already do and you still need a tethering plan. They're mistaken, by your account?

I have a rooted Bionic that I bought SqLite for. I use SqLite to edit my Bionic. Will SqLite not work on Nexus?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

misteruplink

Reaction score
Has anyone tried it with the sql lite editor? I have a rooted bionic using my hotspot, on youtube there is a tutorial on how to make this work.

crsa3000

Reaction score
Currently when I go into the built-in Portable WiFi hotspot it comes up with a prompt saying that it is searching for the subscription then says I need to subscribe... I have never subscribed for this service. When I open the WiFi Hotspot and USB Tether app I start WiFi tethering and have no problem. Before I got this app I have tried open Barnacle, m900 wireless and Open Garden. I received errors when trying to start all of these, not allowing the WiFi tethering to work properly. With WiFi hotspot and USB tether I start it and get no errors. There is a free 2 day trial of the app also that you can try if you are hesitant about paying the $9.99.

It's working for me. the only thing I worry about is VZW finding out and then charging for the Data per MB since it's not the device. Last thing I need is a $500 Bill.

Ricardo_r21

Reaction score
Is that app on the market? Do u have a link to dload it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

soulshot96

Reaction score
OK I may be getting a nexus soon and I am wondering, does this app do infrastructure wifi tether? Like to a Motorola xoom? Or a ps3? Anyone's feedback would be appriciated! It'd be nice not to have to root it.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Just wanted to let everyone know that tethering without the tethering plan is a violation of contract. So if you see a tethering plan added to your account on your next bill, don't be surprised.:)

Snow02

Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know that tethering without the tethering plan is a violation of contract. So if you see a tethering plan added to your account on your next bill, don't be surprised.:)

Don't be that guy.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Don't be that guy.
Just a fair warning. I admit I rooted my Nexus just to tether, but I'm saying I've seen people in the past who tethered and then wondered/complained why they had a tethering plan added to their account later on. I personally think that a tethering plan is complete bs because we're paying more for the same data. That's a whole different topic though.

Snow02

Reaction score
Just a fair warning. I admit I rooted my Nexus just to tether, but I'm saying I've seen people in the past who tethered and then wondered/complained why they had a tethering plan added to their account later on. I personally think that a tethering plan is complete bs because we're paying more for the same data. That's a whole different topic though.

I don't know of anyone that has had a tethering plan added on automatically on vzw. That's an ATT deal.

And yes, let's not go there. Nothing grinds a thread to a halt faster. That was the basis of my post...