Galaxy Nexus Sucks - Here's why

poooookah78

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First off, I'm sorry for the uber negative title, but I wanted to grab some attention. Been a member of the forums for almost three years now... had an OG droid and have been a contributer on the forums, posted movies on how to use all the phones I've owned and really enjoyed everything droid until this one.

Let me also say that I have a Razr for work and have noticed some major differences in comparison. I know I'll get flames and I don't care that much, I just wanted to get my opinion out there and possibly get some "STFU, here's how to get around this" responses. Here are the major downsides I've seen:

1. The screen on my phone has cracked, my two brothers also have a nexus and they've cracked. How did mine crack? With being in my phone and keys in the pocket. My OG Droid that I STILL have doesn't have a scratch on it and I've had it since November 2009.

2. 4G reception sucks. The Razr and Nexus are sitting on my desk right now... I see 3 bars of 4g on the Razr and 1 bar of 4g on the nexus.

3. Dropped Calls!! I get at least 5 dropped calls a week. I'm constantly on my phone for various reasons and it constantly lets me down.

4. This is a silly one (and maybe someone knows a work around for this)... but I use this phone for conference calls A LOT... I'll be on a call on speaker phone and the screen will go black. I can't toggle the screen to come back on after it's gone black unless I plug in the charger. If I hit the button on the top right, it kills the call, if I hit the volume rocker, nothing happens... MAJOR pain in the behind for those of us who use them frequently for work.......

Notice I'm not mentioning classic problems like volume, heat, etc.

Let me know if I'm way out of line with my assertations or not... I was just very disappointed with this phone overall... oh well, here's to 2014!!!!!!!!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
STFU! Nah I'm just messing with ya:D Let me try to hit all of your points with a response and hopefully be of help.

1. Any phone no matter if it's Gorilla Glass or not can crack without getting touched even. It's the pressure that'll make it crack and if it was in your pocket that's a sure temperature change and also if the keys hit in the right spot, it can crack. This goes for any phone and whatever type of glass Samsung used for Nexus it's comparable to Gorilla Glass, imo at least.

2. Samsung's radios aren't the best, especially compared to Moto which arguably uses the best radios. Do you have the 4.0.4 radios? Check "About phone" and see if you have FC04 and FC05, those are the 4.0.4 radios iirc and they provided a significant improvement for reception for me, even in a strong 4g area where I live.

3. This is due to the weak signal.

4. Never really used mine in a conference call, but the power button should work to turning the screen back on. Someone else will have to help you with that, but it seems like a sensor problem.

Are you rooted and ROMd?

You can try getting a replacement for your issues, but since there's a crack on your phone you most likely will be denied, doesn't hurt to tell your story though.

kramermd

Reaction score
I know number 4 is a setting under the phone settings...you can toggle it to hang up the call or just be the power button. I had it set up to hang up the call and I did not like it either.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know number 4 is a setting under the phone settings...you can toggle it to hang up the call or just be the power button. I had it set up to hang up the call and I did not like it either.

This is easily changed like Kramermd mentions. Go into settings-Accessibility and uncheck Power button ends call.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
It's only the LTE phones that have the reception issues. For some reason the GSM's are fine. They have slower data yea, but they also get huge battery life. Want!

*edit: BTW, your Nexus sucks, mine is AWESOME! :happy3:

Last edited:

ntrddragn

Reaction score
I also came from the original droid. I used to think that about it also. I was not impress with the so call "nexus" program.
1. I put my phone in my pocket also. But not with my keys. Not sure why you would since u have 4 pockets. I put my keys in my right pocket, phone and wallet in left pocket. And I wear bootleg fitted jeans. ;)

I forgot your other points. Hahaha but my reception has been great now since the updates. And now its rooted and unlock, it feels more like the good old days of the og droid. All in all I'm happy with it (mostly) but it was a little hypebeast like most phone which leads to unrealistic expectation.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Let's try to keep this thread on track.

Last edited:

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First off, I'm sorry for the uber negative title, but I wanted to grab some attention. Been a member of the forums for almost three years now... had an OG droid and have been a contributer on the forums, posted movies on how to use all the phones I've owned and really enjoyed everything droid until this one.

Let me also say that I have a Razr for work and have noticed some major differences in comparison. I know I'll get flames and I don't care that much, I just wanted to get my opinion out there and possibly get some "STFU, here's how to get around this" responses. Here are the major downsides I've seen:

1. The screen on my phone has cracked, my two brothers also have a nexus and they've cracked. How did mine crack? With being in my phone and keys in the pocket. My OG Droid that I STILL have doesn't have a scratch on it and I've had it since November 2009.

I've had it since day one and no scratches or cracks. I keep it in my right jean pocket with nothing else. Keys in left pocket. Recently I put a screen protector on it to stop a potential crack should I drop it. I will have it on the market hopefully next week. However it will stop cracks from impact, not from slow pressure on the phone (I run DBA Cases).

2. 4G reception sucks. The Razr and Nexus are sitting on my desk right now... I see 3 bars of 4g on the Razr and 1 bar of 4g on the nexus.

I get better reception in my house than I got with the OG Droid or the Bionic.

3. Dropped Calls!! I get at least 5 dropped calls a week. I'm constantly on my phone for various reasons and it constantly lets me down.

Depends on where I am - sometimes it's great sometimes I get drops. But I've never had any other phone that was better.

4. This is a silly one (and maybe someone knows a work around for this)... but I use this phone for conference calls A LOT... I'll be on a call on speaker phone and the screen will go black. I can't toggle the screen to come back on after it's gone black unless I plug in the charger. If I hit the button on the top right, it kills the call, if I hit the volume rocker, nothing happens... MAJOR pain in the behind for those of us who use them frequently for work.......

-- Yes its a silly one. Actually I run a program called no lock. So I can press any button and the phone will go on and bypass the lock screen.

Notice I'm not mentioning classic problems like volume, heat, etc.

-- Volume better since update, yes it gets hot - I agree with that.

Let me know if I'm way out of line with my assertations or not... I was just very disappointed with this phone overall... oh well, here's to 2014!!!!!!!!

I still think it's the best phone you can get. Perhaps the Galaxy S III might be a tad better but I prefer the form of the Nexus.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's only the LTE phones that have the reception issues. For some reason the GSM's are fine. They have slower data yea, but they also get huge battery life. Want!

+1 from my unlocked GSM Gnex... :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've never cracked any screen on any of my Android devices and I have owned several over the last 2.5 years.

Now as for signal I have not dropped a call with any of my Android devices. I do currently own a Nexus and Razr. It is known that Samsung has weaker radios than Motorola which has the best. I have seen this first hand when visiting a buddy's cabin. My Nexus had almost no signal, had no data, and could hardly hold a call but when I switched to my Razr I had a great signal and perfect 3G signal.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
+1 from my unlocked GSM Gnex... :)

263kf9k.jpg

LostRacer

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe you've been on here this long and didn't check the issues with the phone, mainly the radios. I too came from an OG droid. It was abused like no other and merely had minimal scratches on the screen. But I would never couple a screened phone in my pocket with my keys. That's just asking for trouble. These aren't "Tuff" phones and shouldn't be treated as such. If you're still running stock be sure you're up to date on your OTAs. Maybe its time to root and source rom it? DancingNexus

Good luck though. My GNEX has been flawless so far. I hope you can manage the same.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hey Dez, edit this out, now it looks like yer call'n me out! Also, can we get a new avatar man?! :p
:D

Guess a mod took care of business, will edit right now my friend. And what's wrong with sackboy?!