Galaxy Nexus Stuck in Boot Loop

Skygazr

Reaction score
Hi,
I woke up this morning and found my GN with a very dim lit screen with lines on it unable to do anything with the phone. This is unusual because it was plugged in to charge overnight, just like any other night. So I unplugged the phone and had to pull the battery. Now the phone is stuck in a loop. The screen is black with the Google logo on it. The Google logo flashes off every 15 seconds [and the phone vibrates when it does]. I have since pulled the battery a number of times, but it still gets into this loop. The battery is also heating up in the process. The phone is stock [never rooted or unlocked] with ICS 4.02. I was thinking it might have something to do with a software update, but maybe the phone just failed. I have had the phone since the week it was introduced. This is the first major problem I have had, except for low volume and my voice cutting out on phone calls

Thanks in advance for your help and comments.

Rick

david14807

Reaction score
My phone is doing the same thing but after I unlocked it on my way to rooting.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you guys need to flash the stock software. I'd recommend doing it the manual way, but wug has a toolkit that will do it all for you. (On phone so can't do links)

Manual: search DF for "how to take galaxy nexus back to 100% stock)

Wug: search DF for "Wug's root tool kit"

If you don't want to root, you don't have to. Just run the flash back to stock command in wug's

*David how long did you let it try to boot up? It usually takes about five minutes. And have you tried a battery pull?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

david14807

Reaction score
Ive been stuck in the loop for half an hour, Ive pulled the battery a couple times.

Sounds like you guys need to flash the stock software. I'd recommend doing it the manual way, but wug has a toolkit that will do it all for you. (On phone so can't do links)

If you don't want to root, you don't have to. Just run the flash back to stock command in wug's

*David how long did you let it try to boot up? It usually takes about five minutes. And have you tried a battery pull?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ive been stuck in the loop for half an hour, Ive pulled the battery a couple times.

Time to flash the stock software then. Only way you can factory reset is through the OS. I'd suggest using one of the methods above.

OP
S

Skygazr

Reaction score

Thanks. I have never flashed anything to the phone before and my novice search skills are finding it difficult to find instructions on how to flash the OS without rooting. Can Verizon fix this at the store?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I have never flashed anything to the phone before and my novice search skills are finding it difficult to find instructions on how to flash the OS without rooting. Can Verizon fix this at the store?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-nexus-development/192031-wugs-galaxy-nexus-root-toolkit.html

You don't need to be rooted to run this. Just load it up on your PC. Install the drivers by clicking "drivers". And then you can just take it back to stock using Wug's script. All you do is click a button and follow the on-screen instructions.

I really wouldn't want to take it to Verizon because they'll likely just ship you a CLNR and call it a day.

OP
S

Skygazr

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-nexus-development/192031-wugs-galaxy-nexus-root-toolkit.html

You don't need to be rooted to run this. Just load it up on your PC. Install the drivers by clicking "drivers". And then you can just take it back to stock using Wug's script. All you do is click a button and follow the on-screen instructions.

I really wouldn't want to take it to Verizon because they'll likely just ship you a CLNR and call it a day.

Thanks. I will try it tonight when I get home from work.

Rick
2/10/12

OP
S

Skygazr

Reaction score
I ran into a problem installing drivers. The computer is recognizing the device as a Texas Instuments OMAP 4440 and the driver installation fails. I can see it flash on the device manager when I plug it into the USB port. Then it fails to connect. I have deleted the OMAP 4440 driver and tried to re-install and it triedsto load the same driver. I'm almost ready to go to Verizon, but i want to try using a Windows XP computer rather than Windows & to see if it makes a difference.

Domestic violence

Reaction score
i encountered the same problem a few times.

the only thing i found was that i left the coverage area of the wifi network i was connected to. the phone would boot-loop until i was back in the wifi range (at work).

was wifi on at some point and you left the coverage area?

OP
S

Skygazr

Reaction score
I tried in multiple locations...work and home. Nothing worked. Had to get a replacement. WugFresh was extremely helpful, but I really think something failed in my old GN. The new CLNR arrived and it works, but still has the same issues as my last one...low volume and dropping the microphone on calls. I'll be unlocking and flashing if we don't get an update to 4.04 soon.

Rick

urdie

Reaction score
I've had the exact same thing happen to me today, what was the result ?

MLabreche

Reaction score

How can I do this if my computer only recognizes the phone when it's on? It does not recognize the phone in Fastboot. It doesn't let me go into recovery mode either (red triangle).

zachdroid

Reaction score
MLabreche said:
How can I do this if my computer only recognizes the phone when it's on? It does not recognize the phone in Fastboot. It doesn't let me go into recovery mode either (red triangle).

What drivers are you using? Samsung or pdanet? I had that problem with the phone being recognized in fast boot with the OEM drivers. Went to pdanet and had no problems. After the upload fastboot picked up my phone no problem.