Galaxy Nexus or Razr Maxx??

Klaista2k

Reaction score
What's the final verdict on which one's the better one to go with?

I'm REALLY tempted to go with Nexus because of the gorgeous screen and ICS. But the potential issues of bad battery, poor signal, durability, etc make me think twice about it.

Also when the Maxx get's ICS will it look/feel the same as it does on the Nexus?

Any suggestions appreciated!

SergeantDroid

Reaction score
They are both great phones. My son has the Nexus and I have the Maxx. He has the extended battery and it still wouldn't work for me. If battery life is important, Maxx is the way to go.

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
Take into account that the Razr is slated to get ics down the line. For look & feel here's a vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGLeCoa2bxg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I have the Nexus personally and I love it. No bad battery problem here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
They're both great phones, but as a Nexus owner let me tell you about my experience regarding your concerns.

bad battery: root and ROM, your battery will be much much better
poor signal: I have not had a single issue regarding a bad signal, though I may seem to be the exception
durability: my phone was dropped twice; about 3ft onto a marble (thanks nephew), and about a foot drop onto concrete and came away with a small scuff on the corner. Yes these drops aren't dramatic, but it's a very solid phone imo.

In terms of ICS on other devices it won't look exactly like the nexus but it may be similar. Moto/HTC/Samsung will put their own UI on top of it most likely

OP
K

Klaista2k

Reaction score
They're both great phones, but as a Nexus owner let me tell you about my experience regarding your concerns.

bad battery: root and ROM, your battery will be much much better
poor signal: I have not had a single issue regarding a bad signal, though I may seem to be the exception
durability: my phone was dropped twice; about 3ft onto a marble (thanks nephew), and about a foot drop onto concrete and came away with a small scuff on the corner. Yes these drops aren't dramatic, but it's a very solid phone imo.

In terms of ICS on other devices it won't look exactly like the nexus but it may be similar. Moto/HTC/Samsung will put their own UI on top of it most likely

Sounds good.

Should I root/rom if I've never done it before? How difficult is it?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sounds good.

Should I root/rom if I've never done it before? How difficult is it?
They're both very easy, once you're comfortable with it. It's all about comfort level when it comes to rooting/flashing roms.

B

Brucew0617

I prefer to Razr MAXX because of the huge battery:biggrin:

Reaction score
You want a phone with a sub par screen(same as the Droid X) and a year old OS, or the latest and greatest? :D

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Op I recommended you try them both. Get the nexus for 3 days then try the razr and decide for yourself. They are both good devices and I personally can say that I had signal issues with the nexus, but that don't mean you will. So try it and decide what works best for you.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You want a phone with a sub par screen(same as the Droid X) and a year old OS, or the latest and greatest? :D

The Maxx does not have the same screen as the X and I wish you'd quit saying that :)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I personally chose the Maxx b/c of the battery. However, the experience of the Nexus is 2nd to none IMHO. It's so smooth and sleek. I've run the ICS leak on my Maxx, and while it's much smoother than GB, it still didn't feel quite as smooth as on the Gnex (though others have said the opposite, so ymmv). Part of that is probably the screen, and not the actual feel. I love that Gnex screen...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Nexus screen is arguably the best on Verizon's network, some say the Rezound's is better. I had some extended hands on time with a Rezound and it's an excellent screen, but I noticed from some angles that it becomes "blacked out". As for the Nexus I haven't noticed such a thing, both are great though.

I haven't seen a Razr Maxx in person yet, but when I saw the Razr the screen was a dealbreaker for me. It might have just been the display unit, but it sure didn't leave me with a good impression, among other things with the phone as well. Of course choosing a phone is subjective.

Caesars

Reaction score
This was a hard decision for me as my epic 4g was probably the best phone I've ever owned-Samsung screens are always the best. But this time around I decided extended battery and case being able to easily work was too important Hehe, that and the maxx screen is a tier under nexus at most. All these people comparing maxx screen to x2 screen clearly didn't use both in depth.

DROID RAZR MAXX