Galaxy Nexus on Verizon Won't Fully Activate - Can Receive Data but No Phone Calls

glamazon

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used Galaxy Nexus. I previously had a Thunderbolt and I knew that the SIM card would not be compatible. I went down to the Verizon store on Monday and got a new SIM card. Everything seemed great. Phone connected and I had data without any issue. When I got home I went to make a phone call and I received message telling me basically I would be directed to an outside network to make a phone call. I called Verizon CS and they told me sometimes it takes a while for a card to fully activate. I tried again yesterday to make a call and had the same thing happen. I called Verizon TS again. We did a factory reset, etc. That made no difference. I'm grateful I have data, but I also need to make phone calls. I'm going to go to the Verizon store today at lunch to get yet another SIM card, which is what Verizon recommended I do. While I'm in the store I'll do a factory reset and see what happens. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there anything else I can do other than going back to the store for another SIM card. I mean I just got a new one on Monday. I appreciate any help or feedback.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Has never happened to me and what Verizon has recommended (new SIM) is what I would've told you to do as well. Hopefully that resolves your issue.

azdrifter

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used Galaxy Nexus. I previously had a Thunderbolt and I knew that the SIM card would not be compatible. I went down to the Verizon store on Monday and got a new SIM card. Everything seemed great. Phone connected and I had data without any issue. When I got home I went to make a phone call and I received message telling me basically I would be directed to an outside network to make a phone call. I called Verizon CS and they told me sometimes it takes a while for a card to fully activate. I tried again yesterday to make a call and had the same thing happen. I called Verizon TS again. We did a factory reset, etc. That made no difference. I'm grateful I have data, but I also need to make phone calls. I'm going to go to the Verizon store today at lunch to get yet another SIM card, which is what Verizon recommended I do. While I'm in the store I'll do a factory reset and see what happens. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there anything else I can do other than going back to the store for another SIM card. I mean I just got a new one on Monday. I appreciate any help or feedback.

I just went through the exact same thing with my Gnex from VZW. Here's what happened with me, I purchased a used Gnex from Ebay went to VZW to activate everything worked fine on the phone the 4g came up as soon as the sim was activated but no phone calls same thing went to an outside operator after 3 hours of swithching Sim cards and talking with Verizon techs nothing worked.The associate recommended that i try a local phone tech to see if he could help me with it the guy told me that he never heard of any such case with any phone that he ever knew of. But his tech told me the phone was perfectly fine that it was probably something simple on Verizons side. Well that brought up some past experiences that I had with my early flashing days with my Droid Incredible I went through a flash-aholic stage and would flash several roms a day sometimes every once in a while I would get a Rom with a Bad radio and the phone calls wouldn't work..... So I knew that the Gnex I had was already rooted and running a Rom so I went home and flashed back to the stock Rom and everything on the phone worked. So basicially it was just a bad radio in the rom that was installed on the phone before I got it...
Try switching Radios or flashing a different Rom i'm sure it will work.

OP
glamazon

glamazon

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone.

I went to the Verizon store and it seems so far to make no difference.

I suspect I don't have a ROM, but the Verizon sanctioned OS. It says Android version 4.1.1. Is there a way to tell if I have a ROM or not? I did a factory reset a few times with Verizon CS. I really hope it is not the phone. I suspect it is not.

azdrifter

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone.

I went to the Verizon store and it seems so far to make no difference.

I suspect I don't have a ROM, but the Verizon sanctioned OS. It says Android version 4.1.1. Is there a way to tell if I have a ROM or not? I did a factory reset a few times with Verizon CS. I really hope it is not the phone. I suspect it is not.

to check if you are running a Rom or not ,...when you boot the phone where you see the black screen with Google on the screen if there is a lock on the bottom of that screen it means that your bootloader is unlocked and you are most likely on a Rom if it is only the word Google on the screen it means you are still on a locked bootloader and not running a Rom.

Hopefully this helps...

OP
glamazon

glamazon

Reaction score
azdrifter, I think you hit the nail on the head. When I boot up the phone I see "Google" and a padlock (which appears to be unlocked). I suspect you are right I have some ROM on this phone and if I get this back to stock it will work. I'm fairly tech. savy. Do you have a link for instructions of how to restore my phone. I don't want to run any ROM. I just want whatever OS is the latest from Verizon (which I think is 4.1). I really appreciate the help.

azdrifter

Reaction score
here's a link to the Toolkit that can help you get back to stock [GNex TOOLKIT V10.1] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, CWM, Flash, Mods + MORE [VERIZON] - xda-developersnd here's a link to get the factory image you will need on your Pc to use in the toolkit. https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

i
f the toolkit seems to confusing WugFresh has a very simple root kit if you can't find it online PM me and I will get it to you.

OP
glamazon

glamazon

Reaction score
Thanks azdrifter. I was able to find WugFresh's website. My husband has a GN and we compared phone info. and mine is definitely different. So it seems I have a rooted phone. I wish the seller would have disclosed that or I would not have bought it. Oh well. I'm going to give it a go. I suspect once I'm back to stock things will work fine. I'll post back once I have a resolution. You have no idea how much I appreciate the help.

azdrifter

Reaction score
Thanks azdrifter. I was able to find WugFresh's website. My husband has a GN and we compared phone info. and mine is definitely different. So it seems I have a rooted phone. I wish the seller would have disclosed that or I would not have bought it. Oh well. I'm going to give it a go. I suspect once I'm back to stock things will work fine. I'll post back once I have a resolution. You have no idea how much I appreciate the help.

You're welcome,..fortunately this just happened to me last week so I had to find all the info to fix it, I'm glad i was able to help and this is a really awesome phone. I never run stock but my daughter has this phone stock as well and she loves it. As for the seller not disclosing that info to you I have found that many of these people have no idea what the phones are running they just resell them. Good luck and enjoy your GN.:biggrin:

mattjenn

Reaction score

Make sure your battery is charged before flashing

OP
glamazon

glamazon

Reaction score
Thanks mattjenn. I will make sure.

I'm trying to install the drivers now before running WugFresh's app. I think I'm already running into problems. I'm following the driver installation instructions here:

xda-developers - View Single Post - [HOW-TO] [GSM & CDMA] Return to stock for ALL Galaxy Nexus phones (latest JOP40D)

After I remove my phone and plug it back in I don't see "Android" in my device manager. I do see my Nexus under portable devices. I'm going to read and poke around some more.

azdrifter

Reaction score
Thanks mattjenn. I will make sure.

I'm trying to install the drivers now before running WugFresh's app. I think I'm already running into problems. I'm following the driver installation instructions here:

xda-developers - View Single Post - [HOW-TO] [GSM & CDMA] Return to stock for ALL Galaxy Nexus phones (latest JOP40D)

After I remove my phone and plug it back in I don't see "Android" in my device manager. I do see my Nexus under portable devices. I'm going to read and poke around some more.

I downloaded my drivers directly from the samsung site after they installed the toolkit recognized them.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Drivers for the phone can be very tricky. When you uninstall a previous driver make sure to restart your PC then install the new drivers. I ran into the same issue and had to install them with PDAnet

OP
glamazon

glamazon

Reaction score
Thanks! I downloaded the driver from Samsung. Now when I go to look for the Universal Naked Driver 7, which I downloaded from XDA and unzipped all of the files, none of the files seem to be the one it needs.

azdrifter

Reaction score
Thanks! I downloaded the driver from Samsung. Now when I go to look for the Universal Naked Driver 7, which I downloaded from XDA and unzipped all of the files, none of the files seem to be the one it needs.

Which toolkit are you using? I ended up using the one by Wugfresh with no problems.