Galaxy Nexus on Verizon Could Have Better Than Expected Battery Life?

wolstonc

Reaction score
I am getting a nexus, and not an extended battery, but I gotta say this seems fishy. It doesn't show how much of that time has been awake, plus if he browsed "heavy" then wouldn't the browser show up in the apps using power? It'd definitely use more than 2%

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

People completely missed when I said the same thing lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

pyro6128

Reaction score
I've noticed this trend actually. People are always claiming "heavy usage", but then when you hear what it is, or how much battery life they get, it very clearly isn't the case. People just throw around buzz phrases they hear. Like when a new rom comes out and everyone is like "OMG this rom is so snappy and buttery smooth, no errors at all. One question though, I notice my phone lags when I do xy&z and then I get non stop force closes on everything. Other than that though its flawless...":blink:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Realistically, I imagine the Nexus will have the best stock battery life of the three. It was designed with ICS in mind, meaning most efficient using that OS, it's processor is a higher binned 4430(4460), which basically means they cherry picked the dies and they're better performers, which means they achieve the same clocks with lower power usage but can be clocked higher if you wish.

That coupled with the Pentile display, I could definitely see the Nexus edging the other 2 out. We are dealing with some new tech though, with the NFC/battery being designed together, so we'll just have to see when it's released.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Realistically, I imagine the Nexus will have the best stock battery life of the three. It was designed with ICS in mind, meaning most efficient using that OS, it's processor is a higher binned 4430(4460), which basically means they cherry picked the dies and they're better performers, which means they achieve the same clocks with lower power usage but can be clocked higher if you wish.

That coupled with the Pentile display, I could definitely see the Nexus edging the other 2 out. We are dealing with some new tech though, with the NFC/battery being designed together, so we'll just have to see when it's released.
I thought the nexus had the 4430 and not the 4460. i know they are almost the same chip, but 4460 is made better. but I don't get why you put it in parenthesis.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought the nexus had the 4430 and not the 4460. i know they are almost the same chip, but 4460 is made better. but I don't get why you put it in parenthesis.

The Nexus has the 4460, while the Razr has the 4430.

But, they are the same chip.

When chips are created they're made in batches and some end up running better than others.

By "run better" I mean, they often can run at the same speed as the others with less voltage, so that's why the 4460 is natively clocked to 1.5ghz, but is down clocked to 1.2ghz.

The reason they down clock the 4460 to 1.2ghz is because it uses less voltage (less battery) and produces less heat.

They call these chips "higher binned" chips.

Last edited:

labguy

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but after all this hype and work up, I don't care if I have to walk around with a mile long extension cord, I'm still getting the sucker...just saying!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
By "run better" I mean, they often can run at the same speed as the others with less voltage, so that's why the 4460 is natively clocked to 1.5ghz, but is down clocked to 1.2ghz.

The reason they down clock the 4460 to 1.2ghz is because it uses less voltage (less battery) and produces less heat.

They call these chips "higher binned" chips.

not sure if the bionic is down clocked like this but I can beat on it for hours with 4g .. games.. internet... anything I throw at it and it never gets hot... the droid x on the other hand would always get hot after a few minutes of heavy use

im all for anything that keeps the phone cool because once it gets hot it seems to chew right through battery life (dx)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Bionic uses the same 4430 that the Razr uses, downclocked to 1Ghz.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Bionic uses the same 4430 that the Razr uses, downclocked to 1Ghz.

thanks for the info .. looks like it works better on the bionic down clocked because a lot of people are complaining about heat issues on the razr

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yep, seems to hold true to the pattern. Overclock a lower binned chip, you'll see more heat because of an increase in voltage to stabilize the speed.

alboboy10

Reaction score
thanks for the info .. looks like it works better on the bionic down clocked because a lot of people are complaining about heat issues on the razr

Razr always had those kind of issues. Still a nicer phone than the bionic.