Galaxy Nexus on Verizon Could Have Better Than Expected Battery Life?

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Galaxy Nexus on Verizon Could Have Better Than Expected Battery Life?

According to the screenshot above, along with its owner, the 4G LTE version of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus is getting much better battery life than I think any of us expected. After more than 5 hours of heavy (“lots of surfing” and brightness at max) of use, you can see that the device still has 45% left on it. For having a 4.65″ HD screen with an LTE chip in it, I’d take that any day. Most 4G LTE phones are begging for a charger after 5 hours of even moderate to low use, so this is a good sign for those of us that were already contemplating the purchase of a yet-be-announced extended battery.

This device test was also reportedly done on LTE only.
On a semi-related note, seeing a screenshot with a 720p resolution makes me smile. Can you believe that we are about to embark on a journey that includes an HD screen in the palm of our hand? And not too far off are quad-core processors behind them.

Soooo, does that make your battery concerns less frightening?

Source

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I will get an extended battery regardless, I like the extra bulk and security - as long as it's sleek on the inside :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I've heard that about the Bionic.... I'm just going to wait until it's released to believe the battery life.

Exactly only time will tell. Worry and hope is just a lot of hot air.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've heard that about the Bionic.... I'm just going to wait until it's released to believe the battery life.

Yeah but all the screenshots we saw on the Bionic showed the cell standby taking up insane amounts of the battery.

This doesn't seem to be the case here.

doublea500

Reaction score
Thats better then expected :O?

its not bad, especially with the large screen and all. Look at the phone idle, its only 6%! after some math (.55x.06x100...) thats only 3.3%. thats an upside to this picture. thats 1% for every 75 minutes (correct me if im wrong, cuz this sounds sooo off:D). Not sure about it but i think the standby time and the idle time go together, so 1% for 37.5 minutes and 6.6% for 244 minutes

heres the missing screenie-View attachment 42396 (thankyou sbenson for the find)

the screen on the other hand owns the battery. through 65 minutes (this is because the two pictures are 16 minutes apart so im guessing 5 minutes were used in it, so there is going to be a source of error in this analysis) the screen used up 24.3% of it. if the screen were on for 4.33 hours it would completely wipe the battery and thats only 54% of the damage towards the battery.
Now lets make 24.3->25%. 25%*4=100%/full battery. 65*4=260 minutes screen battery drainage and divide 60 to get 4.33 hours (thats where i got the 4.33 hours from) now round the 54% up to idk 65% (im trying to find the battery life if no time is spent idle/standby, those added is 12% so i went to 65% which is just a nicer number then 66). sooo the 65% of battery usage is 65 minutes of screen being on, make android os, 25%, and other various things for the rest 10%. so now. 65% for screen usage can be found using proportions.--->>> 65/24.3=X/65. X=173.86 minutes or 2.9 hours.

Obviously my calculations are completely off because of the large sources of error because I can only see what is in the picture.

heres some important factor going into what could make my calculations completely off.
-brightness
-data usage (4g/3g...)
-apps running in backround
-the fact that the pictures are taken 16 minutes away from eachother (shouldnt change it too much because the usage only goes up 3%)
many more...

If you actually read all my math, thank you. if you did not, i dont blame you, im more math based, not english. and here is the basic conclusion i came up with. -if gnexus screen stays on then it will take around 3 hours to go through the full 100% of the battery.

what are your opinions? better then expected or worse then expected?

Heres my opinion- it would be just rediculious for a phone manufacturer to release a phone that cant stay on for more then 3 hours (in its apex, remember this phone shown in the picture is a new phone). but i think the 3 hours is acceptable. more would be nice, but it looks like the standby time on the phone is great.

Last edited:

wolstonc

Reaction score
I am getting a nexus, and not an extended battery, but I gotta say this seems fishy. It doesn't show how much of that time has been awake, plus if he browsed "heavy" then wouldn't the browser show up in the apps using power? It'd definitely use more than 2%

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
as SSHguru pointed out in sbenson's thread/image (linked above), it shows the screen on for only 1 hr 10 minutes... that means for 80% of that 5 hrs not much was going on - at least not much that could be done with the screen on...

the other screenshot also shows the phone on 3G - could've turned it off by that point obviously, but just worth noting...

Last edited:

pyro6128

Reaction score
Wow, I thought this phone didn't have a removable battery. Must have been confusing my Razr/Gnex news. That's fantastic though, I'll prob buy the extended on day 1. I hate having to worry about whether my phone will last through the day, so I always opt for the extended

wolstonc

Reaction score
So this thread really means worse than expected battery life

doublea500

Reaction score
So this thread really means worse than expected battery life

what were you expecting a 4.65 hd amoled screen with dual core processor 1 gig of ram 1750 MAH battery to have?