Galaxy Nexus constant reboot.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by gsburgess, Jan 24, 2012.

1. gsburgess

gsburgess New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I have recently rooted my Galaxy Nexus (Verizon). All steps went well, and the device was rooted with no complications. I purchased Rom Manager Premium and tried to download the Codename Android ROM. With premium, you can do it from the phone. The steps went well until rebooting - my device is staying on the reboot screen (with all the colorful squares), and has been like this for at least three hours. Any suggestions? I know that pulling the battery may brick the device, so I just have it plugged in to the charger.

TL;DR: Rooted phone, stuck on reboot screen, don't want to pull battery.

Thanks!
  2. patmw123

patmw123 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto X 2014
    Pulling the battery will not brick the phone. Did you make a nandroid backup?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gsburgess

gsburgess New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am not sure what a nandroid backup is (relatively new to the whole seen, previous iPhone user), but I did follow instructions given by Rom Manager to create a backup. As long as pulling the battery doesn't brick the phone, I don't mind repeating the process if I lost data.
  4. patmw123

patmw123 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto X 2014
    Pulling the battery doesn't do anything besides work as a hardware function to kill the power supply. I would suggest pulling the battery (so it will stop boot-looping), put it back in, reboot into recovery, wipe data/factory reset, then restore your backup that Rom Manager should have made for you.
  5. gsburgess

gsburgess New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Alrighty. I pulled the battery, but upon restart the phone continues looping. How do you reboot into recovery? The command prompt isn't letting me use any adb commands.
  6. gsburgess

gsburgess New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah nvm, the down volume button is still a mystery to me. :p Thanks for all your help.
  7. chewy74

chewy74 Active Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Your phone is probably in a boot loop. Did you do a complete wipe/factory reset in clockwork recovery? Coming from stock rom you must wipe before applying a custom rom.

Pull the battery and hold down volume + & - & power. If you get to the boot loader screen,scroll to recovery and select to boot into clockwork. Then wipe data /factory reset. Then flash the custom rom again and you should good to go

patmw123 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto X 2014
    While the phone is off, hold down volume up and down simultaneously while then pressing and holding the power button until you see an android with his stomach open. Then use the volume keys to toggle up/down until you see Reboot into Recovery. Select reboot into recovery by pressing the power button.
  9. gsburgess

gsburgess New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got it. There wasn't any backup, so I did a factory reset. Will I just have to go through the whole rooting process again? It went back to ICS. :/
  10. patmw123

patmw123 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto X 2014
    You should still be rooted. Did you properly loaded in ClockworkMod Recovery? Did you follow any sets of directions when flashing clockworkmod recovery? The one thing that a lot of people forget to do is rename that recovery.p file in /system, which allows clockwork to stay as the recovery after a reboot.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/1...extended-batteries-day-one-thoughts-and-more/

I would suggest reading at the very least the following (below) on the Droid-Life Galaxy Nexus How-to Guide(which is above). See the Rooting, Bootloaders, Recovery and Backups section in the guide.
  11. gsburgess

gsburgess New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I lied. It looks like ICS but Superuser and ROM manager are still installed. Unfortunately, there isn't any "Market" button and I'm missing half my apps. I am going to assume that this means Codename was successfully installed, but I was just wondering if this is the way it's supposed to look (for any of you who use Codename). I have 19 apps total, I'm assuming bloatware was uninstalled?

I just find this weird because I didn't re-flash... Codename was apparently installed.

Thanks!
  12. chewy74

chewy74 Active Member

Ratings:
    +16
    You need to flash codenames gapp.zip to get google apps like talk, map and market.

Its still codename rom because you didn't restore or flash anything new since getting stuck. Clearing the data and factory reset got you out of the bootloop

chewy74 Active Member

Ratings:
    +16
  14. gsburgess

gsburgess New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay. It looks pretty good, not going to complain. But (possibly related to not backing up) I cannot load any of my ROM manager premium. It says I already have it installed on the online market, and I can't find it on my phone. ROM manager free is still installed, however. Basically, I was using premium to flash things, and now I can't. .__.

What's the best way to get back premium? Thanks for your guys' help btw, I really appreciate it.
  15. patmw123

patmw123 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto X 2014
    I would break the tendency to flash using Rom Manager. Often problems, similar to the same ones you were having, occur because of flashing through Rom Manager. I would still HIGHLY recommend reading the links I provided for you earlier regardless of whether or not you are up and running again.
Search tags for this page

galaxy nexus auto reboot

galaxy nexus auto restart

galaxy nexus reboot loop fix
nexus 10 constant rebooting

nexus 7 constant reboot

nexus 7 constant restart
nexus7constant restart
samsung+galaxy+nexus+auto reboot