galaxy nexus car dock sound problem

shanimal92

Reaction score
I got the car dock for my Nexus but I have a problem. I plug it in and it charges, but the sound is all distorted and I can change the volume from the phone itself. It's sounds like distortion from a speaker that's is too loud. When u plug the aux into the phone directly it works fine though. Sorry if wrong section; I'm at work

ntrddragn

Reaction score
what you have a car dock for the nexus? pic or it didnt happen. :p

did you change the speaker setting to max bass?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
OP must have a gsm version.

As for your problem OP, not quite sure. Maybe the charging is messing with the phone while playing music which leads to the distortion. Make sure your volume is around 70%, 80% tops, anything above that you'll get a bit of distortion. Just keep the volume low on the device and turn up the car audio system.

OP
S

shanimal92

Reaction score
It happens randomly it seems. Also I can't turn the volume up or down when it's connected. It's weird. I'll just have to play with it some more tomorrow and try to figure it out

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Could be the wire going bad? If you mess with the wire is the sound effected?

OP
S

shanimal92

Reaction score
wire is good. I am about to upload a video so you guys can see the problem a bit better. The sound quality in the dock is a lot worse then when i plug the cord into the phoen directly

OP
S

shanimal92

Reaction score
[video=youtube;AYRrb_4gJ9M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYRrb_4gJ9M&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I am running Axiom ANTIMYTH. He includes the Google Car Home app. Do you think that could be the problem?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Maybe the dock is faulty? Have you tried it without the power usb/cable plugged in?

Thanks for the video for letting us hear the difference though, alot more helpful than words. That is a pretty significant difference in quality though and it would bug the crap out of me too, especially since that car docks like that don't necessarily go for cheap.

The main thing is that your AUX cable is being plugged into another unit then the sound gets relayed into the phone. As you're throwing in another piece of hardware to get to the main source I would think quality would suffer, but not that much. And since it works better without the dock, I would narrow it down to the dock possibly being faulty first. It looks like you're running the stock HU, maybe bring it to a car audio shop, and they may be able to take a look at it for you? I would definitely see if I could get the dock replaced first though...

OP
S

shanimal92

Reaction score
Ugh, it wont even play music from the dock without the power cable plugged in... I payed $60 for this stupid ass thing (waaay too much for a car dock, but i wanted it), it took 10 days to get here, and now i have to send it back and wait another 10 days for a deivce that may or may not work; this sucks. Thanks everyone for your help.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Knew it'd cost you a pretty penny. Good luck getting a replacement. See if anyone else can vouch for loss of audio quality with the dock.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I noticed that you are using a cassette adapter for your input into the stereo, that may be causing a higher resistance on the circuit thus screwing with the phone ?

I would try using a straight aux cable going into a boombox or another device that would use an aux cable and see if you get the same results.

That would be the first thing I would test.

OP
S

shanimal92

Reaction score
I noticed that you are using a cassette adapter for your input into the stereo, that may be causing a higher resistance on the circuit thus screwing with the phone ?

I would try using a straight aux cable going into a boombox or another device that would use an aux cable and see if you get the same results.

That would be the first thing I would test.

I tried it on my stereo that has a a AUX cable in it and the quality is much better. I guess i have to deal with it until i get a new head unti. thank you

ttcfcl

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Sounds like crap and cannot adjust volume. I also noticed when it's in the dock, I don't have access to the "bass boost" or "3d effect" in the equalizer, but the rest of the equalizer works. Were you able to resolve it?