1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Galaxy Nexus bootlooping..soft bricked w/o recovery. NEED EXPERT HELP!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by throwbot, Dec 21, 2011.

1. throwbot

throwbot New Member

Okay, so I rooted my phone with clockwork mod recovery and pushed superuser. After I was rooted, I listened to someone that I shouldnt have and downloaded some post root tools, one of which was vm heap. I set it to the recommended setting (either 24 or 28--I think it was 28. Whichever said recommended) and it asked me to reboot, which sent me into a boot loop.

A couple of important notes to take: 1) after rooting, I couldn't get back into my clockwork recovery. Whenever I tried getting into recovery, it would only show an android with a red exclamation mark. Someone told me the trick was to download root explorer and add a 1 to a certain file/path and that it would work fine. I never did do this (WHY?!?!?!? I have no good excuse) before I started playing with these root tools, and so now I can't flash the factory image for my 4.0.2 version.

Another important note: while I was rooting, adb was only recognizing my phone while it was in the normal state; as soon as I gave it the command to put my phone in the bootloader, it would stop recognizing my device. I realized it was a driver problem, and went thru my device manager and reinstalled the driver software and it finally worked. Since it bricked, it is doing the same thing again...it recognizes my device while its in the bootloop, and responds to the adb reboot bootloader command, but as soon as I am in the bootloader the computer no longer recognizes the device, and this time my little driver update fix isn't working.

So, I am bricked and I have no custom recovery. I managed getting into my android system recovery <3e> but my only options are to A) reboot system now, B) apply update from/cache, C) wipe data/factory reset, and D) wipe cache partition. I don't see an option to flash anything ( I was going to try and re-push clockwork mod so I could go into recovery and flash the factory image) and so I have no idea what to do. I'm thinking that the factory reset is my best option, but am not sure what it will do to my root state and whether or not it will even fix the problem that (I think) the vm heap has caused. If anyone has any ideas I am totally up to suggestions, otherwise I am going to have to go to verizon tomorrow and hope they don't notice that its bricked. I was going to try to tell them that I went with the update to 4.0.2 this morning finally, and that once it restarted it sent me to a bootloop. The only problem is, if they pull the battery and restart it they will see the unlocked symbol, and know that its rooted. BUT, I live in hickville virginia and as long as they have a nexus in stock I really don't think they'll have any clue what Ive done. If verizon finds out I've rooted, will they contact assurion and tell them not to replace my device if I claim it stolen? I'm just not sure what to do. Someone please help me get my phone back to life from the stock recovery.
  2. adamwhitehead

adamwhitehead New Member

have you tried a factory reset?

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  3. throwbot

throwbot New Member

well, I have the option to do the factory reset from my stock recovery here, but I'm afraid that it will delete something that could be used to help revive my phone. I'm about out of options tho and think I might try it
  4. rubiksc00p

rubiksc00p Well-Known Member

Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    I'm pretty sure that a factory reset isn't going to unroot or lock the bootloader. That is probably your best bet. But before that, have you tried wiping the cache partition? I would definitely do that before resetting everything! :)

This wants to be sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus
  5. throwbot

throwbot New Member

okay, factory reset definitely didn't work. Hopefully it didn't take anything that was gonna help my chances of resuscitation
  6. throwbot

throwbot New Member

****, wish I would have seen this before I did the reset. Im gonna go ahead and try it. Hopefully I can take it to this one verizon store around here that doesnt have any tech-savvy employees. My cousin tells me I have 14 days to swap it out for a brand new one at no charge (granted they don't realize I've voided my warranty). I'm thinking of going in there and telling them that I ignored the 4.0.2 update for days, and when I finally accepted it and it rebooted, it just kept booting and booting. Hopefully if I act dumb enough they will actually think the update screwed it up

btw, cleared cache partition, still looping like a granny knitting a sweater. Or socks. Or whatever.
  7. throwbot

throwbot New Member

btw, noticed you have a nexus yourself. Are you rooted? I would make sure that you take the steps required to make your clockwork mod recovery permanent. The first time you put it on there it is only flashed, and even if you have the rom manager you still won't have a recovery that you can get to from the bootloader until you get root explorer and either delete a file or add a '1' to the beginning of it. I am learning this the hard way.....

edit: actually, read your sig wrong... I take it you don't have your nexus yet. Dude, what a sweet phone. Surprisingly I love mine even more than I thought I could. Don't listen to the naysayers-- the signal strength is fine and really is a smooth phone. Just be careful with it ;)
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  8. rubiksc00p

rubiksc00p Well-Known Member

Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
    A couple things... first, haha, I'm probably going to get my Nexus before Christmas. :) It's probably going to be unlocked and rooted within the first few minutes of me getting home with it. Which leads me second, I've been following this phone since it was a rumor, I'm not skipping it... It's the best phone out there, far from perfect but best! ;)
    Third: I've followed the how to root/unlock thread since the beginning, don't worry, I've done stuff like this before! :p
    Forth: have you checked out the "how to unroot and lock" (paraphrased) thread? It's a sticky right below the "how to root/unlock" sticky!
Search tags for this page
fix wiped verizon galaxy nexus bricked

galaxy nexus bricked recovery

galaxy nexus factory reset bricked

galaxy nexus soft brick

how to fix a bricked galaxy nexus
how to repair a bricked galaxy wonder
how to restore soft bricked galaxy nexus
how to soft brick on nexus s
how to unroot my galaxy nexus if it's in bootloop
if the device was soft reboot or is bootlooping

recover bricked galaxy nexus