Galaxy Nexus accessories??

escthehack

Reaction score
I have an OG droid and I love my docking station to turn my phone into my alarm clock. And I don't know what I would do with out the car dock for long road trips.

Can you guys tell me if the previous Nexus devices have had docks before? will there be a multimedia dock for the Nexus to mirror out HDMI? I hear it should do HDMI out of the USB right? but then can you charge it at the same time?

What can I say, I am addicted to docks, but I want the Galaxy Nexus over the Razr!

MightyT01

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. My contract is up in November so I've got some excellent choices coming up. I love Moto's accessory choices, since I'm a bit of a gadget freak. I really like their latest lapdock selections for the Razr, Bionic and other moto phones.

That being said, I'm still leaning toward the Galaxy Nexus because of the pure android nature of it. I would love it if they came out with a tablet dock instead of a laptop dock for this phone. That would send me over the top.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm always curious when someone is interested in a laptop or tablet dock for a phone.

What specifically would you use it for?

I can plug my phone into my computer or my TV, so I'm just curious why you would need an entirely separate device.

MightyT01

Reaction score
I'm always curious when someone is interested in a laptop or tablet dock for a phone.

What specifically would you use it for?

I can plug my phone into my computer or my TV, so I'm just curious why you would need an entirely separate device.

Simple, for some of us road warriors, it means less items to pack and carry for work and/or fun. I have used my OG Droid to tether my laptop while travelling and working. The new Moto Lapdock 100 or 500 would streamline this, giving me an all in one solution. Moto made some nice changes from the original lapdock for the Bionic and Atrix.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still leaning toward the GNexus, but I'll wait for the reviews. I definitely want a better camera and HD video function this go around and was really impressed with what Android 4.0 is going to offer.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the straight response, as I've honestly been curious.

Since the laptop dock is not nearly as nice as my laptop, I guess could never see myself paying a large sum to basically downgrade so it fits "nicer" with my phone.

The tablet I don't understand at all, as it's essentially just giving me a larger display for my phone which I've never found a need for, other than e-reading.

With screens like the Nexus, I think it becomes even more obsolete to purchase an extra device so that I can use my phone as a laptop.

Since data transfer is moving to the 'cloud', I just feel like we aren't going in the direction they're striving for with these docking units.

Obviously it's just my opinion and I'm sure there's probably a dozen other things people need to do that I haven't thought of, but it's just something I've been thinking about lately.

MightyT01

Reaction score
I appreciate the straight response, as I've honestly been curious.

Since the laptop dock is not nearly as nice as my laptop, I guess could never see myself paying a large sum to basically downgrade so it fits "nicer" with my phone.

The tablet I don't understand at all, as it's essentially just giving me a larger display for my phone which I've never found a need for, other than e-reading.

With screens like the Nexus, I think it becomes even more obsolete to purchase an extra device so that I can use my phone as a laptop.

Since data transfer is moving to the 'cloud', I just feel like we aren't going in the direction they're striving for with these docking units.

Obviously it's just my opinion and I'm sure there's probably a dozen other things people need to do that I haven't thought of, but it's just something I've been thinking about lately.

I like the cloud concept as well, but I'll still need lots of memory for my phone as I put a lot of movies on it for my daughter to watch while we travel. You also run into data usage problems for some folks who have restricted plans. Also, those of us with older eyes do prefer larger screens. I do a lot of reading on my OG Droid, but sometimes find my eyesight failing trying to read the small print. That's kind of why it would be sweet to have a tablet dock feature. Either that or I'm going to need glasses pretty damn soon. :)

busab

Reaction score
It will have a docking station. They showed it at the unveiling I think. Though I may have dreamed that. I've read so much stuff on this phone now I don't remember what was real and what wasn't.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

BigLance

Reaction score
I have an OG droid and I love my docking station to turn my phone into my alarm clock. And I don't know what I would do with out the car dock for long road trips.

Can you guys tell me if the previous Nexus devices have had docks before? QUOTE]

Back to the original question: Yes, the Nexus One had a dock, but none of the other Nexuses had one that was similar. I love docks as well. The Nexus One OEM dock was really nice for one reason: easy to drop in and pull out. The Nexus one had docking power-pins on it (like have been shown on the Galaxy Nexus). You just drop the Nexus One into (more onto) the dock. The pins make contact and there is no fussing with trying to line up a mini USB port. It's so usable you can't believe it. Holds the phone at a great viewing angle. You can just drop it in a dock at work, and a dock at home (nightstand). So easy to effortless to charge and use while docked.

The downside was that there were no data ports. The phone would establish a bluetooth connection with the dock so you could at least stream music to the dock which inturn has an audio jack so you could hook it up to an external amp, speaker, etc. Won't do all the fancy multi-media stuff of the Moto docks.

With all the battery hunger of smartphones, I really can't figure out why manufacturers don't make them easy to use and available for every phone.

I had to move from the Nexus One to the HTC Sensation (needed more space and horsepower). While I love the sensation, I cannot stand not having a good dock. I may pay retail for a Galaxy Nexus if necessary just to get a good phone with a good dock... but we'll have to wait and see about the accessories that come out. I've been intrigued my motorola phones because of the docking, but just can't seem to find one that is state-of-the-art enough in other respects to warrant me getting one.

doublea500

Reaction score
If you cant find a galaxy nexus dock (which is... impossible because it literally has button sensors for a dock) or if you dont want to buy one, Cant you just continue using your d1 and your d1 dock as an alarm clock?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah they didn't put those 3 docking nodes on the phone for nothing, I imagine they'll put out a very nice dock for this phone since they know people will want to watch movies on a phone with 720P.

doublea500

Reaction score
Yeah they didn't put those 3 docking nodes on the phone for nothing, I imagine they'll put out a very nice dock for this phone since they know people will want to watch movies on a phone with 720P.

to them docks are cheap money. im not saying there useless, but they have little use. i mean you dont need one for an alarm clock, you can just put one on a chair laying down and it will do the same function. They will make a dock for every phone now for these reasons-cheap to make and people buy them. manufacturers actually made a few phones with actually with little kickstands however that was stopped, im not sure why but if i had to guess i would say less docks were sold.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll definitely use a dock for my Nexus because I can watch the Red Zone app with it in the dock and watch all the NFL games.

I think that as the screens get bigger, the dock will become more important for viewing.

Kickstand was always a gimmick.