OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Crap. Thanks a lot Mark.

I was looking at smartwatches at Staples (didn't even know they had them. I was there looking for something for work an wondered by) yesterday and saw what you were saying about it being defaulted to landscape mode. While I like landscape on my phone for certain things, that's really not very conducive to a watch like this. I discarded the idea of this one completely, but now that I'm seeing your pictures, it might be in the running if I decide to go for something this simple if/when I finally take the plunge.

I'm still thinking I'd like something with full Android Wear and the ability to type to respond to texts and etc quickly without pulling my phone out, but this thing looks better and better for the price now that I've seen how customizable it is.

6db8c2bec675f1763229e968b4c7be2e.jpg

It's slow and cumbersome to use at first but you remember back to the days before predictive text it ain't half bad.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
6db8c2bec675f1763229e968b4c7be2e.jpg

It's slow and cumbersome to use at first but you remember back to the days before predictive text it ain't half bad.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
I remember those days and I think I'll wait for a better option or go with a wider device. Haha! Good to know there's something available though. I didn't realize there'd been so much development for this device.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember those days and I think I'll wait for a better option or go with a wider device. Haha! Good to know there's something available though. I didn't realize there'd been so much development for this device.

Honestly me either. I got it for the fit part and ability to change tracks on the music player.
The Note1 was a cool concept that didn't quite deliver until its second rendition. Perhaps next year this time I'll be writing about the Fit 2 but I'll probably skip the 2 and wait for the 3

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
e8944bc07aae28a6df4c5a37e45f6290.jpg

Here's another one I found earlier.
Write a note within the app itself or copy/share to it from anywhere else on the phone. Here's an example of something from Color Note
ab963e4260b9b86a55e6776c7ad48000.jpg

Tapped Share and shared with the app
ba165c2e43b8c4c506d73bffefc56816.jpg

Showed up on the Fit.
31f80835815d8f7dafa8211e55b9aa0e.jpg

You can scroll to get the entire note/text up to 1k characters.
If the app you're copying from doesn't have a share option you can copy/paste into the share app.
It's free on the Play Store.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's the whole message I was copying:

A pig and a chicken were walking down the road and both saw a sign in a diner that said "ham and eggs, $1.99".
The chicken says to the pig "let's go help out by making a contribution"
The pig looks at the chicken and says "for you it's a contribution. For me it's a commitment".

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh here's a down fall.
I these Gear and other smart watches you can have your calendar alerts notify on the device. Unlike text, email, etc notifications it doesn't just notify and then go back to sleep but keeps the screen on and the notification buzzing the vibrate motor. This morning I went to sleep with 85% battery but got a calendar alert at some point and when I looked at my watch this morning it had a message that basically said it's now just a watch due to battery being below the threshold. I'm pretty sure it's from the alert because I noticed the other night I got one , was busy with both hands and couldn't tap it and it buzzed the entire time I was busy and when I titled my arm to tap it the screen was still on.
I've turned off "schedule" under Fit Manager settings and will report back if that's not the issue, have another sudden huge battery drain. Seeing as my first 2 Android devices were HTC, in used to having to seek out battery hogs so if it ain't that I'll find it and report what it was.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't think I've had a calendar alarm go off on the G watch yet, but good to know.

I've only had it a couple days, but I've been muting it & charging it each night while my phone charges.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've had a calendar alarm go off on the G watch yet, but good to know.

I've only had it a couple days, but I've been muting it & charging it each night while my phone charges.
I'm thinking it's more than likely a bug particular to the Fit more than a bug across the board. The Fit doesn't use Android or Tizen (like its big brothers have). It uses RTOS, a much simpler os that can have quirks when interacting with other apps on the phone itself from what I'm reading. The advantage to it is better battery life but it also limits what else can be done besides the onboard applications, only "work arounds" as you put it in another thread.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Oh. I didn't realize it wasn't tizen. Glad I went with Android Wear. Like you said, hoping that the different software interacts the way you expect it to can suck sometimes.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh. I didn't realize it wasn't tizen. Glad I went with Android Wear. Like you said, hoping that the different software interacts the way you expect it to can suck sometimes.
That's kinda why I wrote the review.
The Fit is not just a little brother to smart watches but more like a big brother to fitness bands. It seems all the professional reviewers at pre release didn't understand that before reviewing.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That's kinda why I wrote the review.
The Fit is not just a little brother to smart watches but more like a big brother to fitness bands. It seems all the professional reviewers at pre release didn't understand that before reviewing.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
It's hard being the middle child. Or so I'm told...

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This came today
Amazon.com AFUNTA Replacement Rubber Band For SAMSUNG GEAR Fit Bracelet band Strap with Metal Clasps Black Sports Outdoors
I like the feel better than the oem,a more rubbery feel that made it so easy to forget I was wearing it I didn't take it off when cleaning the fish tank until after I'd finished the water change/rock vacuum. I accidentally found out it does indeed work after a few minutes of dunk.
Been getting a lot of stares at it at work and when out and about but only 2 have actually asked me about it saying they thought it was a smart watch but it looked too small to be one. I just explained it's a hybrid, more of a fitness tracker that does smart watch functions. That dropped the topic when they found out it doesn't have a camera or speakerphone.
I'm using about 20% battery per day on average . Today was a less than normal usage, battery used was 8%.