Galaxy Alpha Announced

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
galaxy-alpha.png

Samsung went into stealth mode this morning and quietly released their newest handset called, you guessed it, the Galaxy Alpha. While the release comes as no surprise, the lack of a launch event and all the 'fireworks' that goes along with them is certainly a big departure for Samsung. They love to rent out huge convention centers and invite the world to their releases. With that said, is the Galaxy Alpha a top tier handset that was mysteriously left out of the usual fanfare? Lets take a look.

First off, we tip our hat to Sammy for finally putting together a handset with a premium look and feel. With its chamfered, polished and beveled metal frame edges to its sleek design it has all the looks of a premium device. Unfortunately, thats where it all ends. The Alphas specs include:
  • Display: 4.7” HD Super AMOLED (1280 x 720)
  • Processor: Octa Core (Quad 1.8GHz + Quad 1.3GHz)
  • Camera: 12MP (rear) + 2.1MP (front)
  • RAM : 2GB
  • Internal Memory : 32GB
  • Battery: 1860 mAh
  • Finger Print Scanner
*No micro SD Slot*

With it's smaller display, less resolution, scaled down camera pixels, zero water resistance, and no micro-SD support the Galaxy Alpha falls quite short of it's older brother known as the Galaxy S5.

Price and carriers have not been announced just yet and we let everyone know when we have those details.

I'm not really sure how the Alpha fits in with Samsung's portfolio. Other than it's dazzling looks its really nothing to write home about. Mid-tier specs and the usual features don't scream "I must get this handset", so I'm left scratching my head. In their already crowded line-up, did they really need to release the Alpha? I guess we'll find out that answer when pricing and carrier details are announced. A premium price tag along with an exclusive launch surely won't help sales.

Source: Samsung

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I'm guessing it's a test run for next year's device. If it survives the online critics and the competition's lawyers the Galaxy S6 will probably look very very similar.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
it looks like a galaxy s5 with an aluminum bumper
S5-Ultrathin-Metal-Phone-Case-For-Samsung-Galaxy-S5-I9600-Case-Cover-Aluminum-Bumper-Phone-Housing.jpg

except inferior specs.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Rumor has it priced at a whopping $850. A bit pricey for a downgraded S5 with a metal frame.

What do you think?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Rumor has it priced at a whopping $850. A bit pricey for a downgraded S5 with a metal frame.

What do you think?
I think they are crazy expecting $850 for a phone, much less, an over-hyped S5.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Once again, we get the rare phone <5" but with inferior specs....and to try to charge $850 for that?!? How dumb do they think people are?

It almost looks like a planned failure where some exec can point to it and say "see? no one wants a 4.7" screen" or "see? no one wants a metal frame" or "see? no one wants a 4.7" phone with a metal frame"

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

What do you think?

I think Samsung think they are in Apple's level and can put out anything and people will beg to buy.
I had something else to say about it...more like where Samsung can put it but this is a family friendly forum.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Parth18

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X XT-1052
Its just junk . Samsung can't compete with apple in terms of quality .

cantenna

Reaction score
Wow, Samsung for me has gone in the complete opposite direction for where I want to go with android, no micro SD now with Knox? Can the battery even be upgraded. Why wouldn't I just buy an iPhone?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Nothing wrong with a mid range device for those that don't want to spend 7 bills on a flagship model. The Alpha is supposed to be less expensive than the S5.
This device just proves that you can't believe every rumor on the intewebs.