Gadget Tell Review: RavPower 14000mAh External Battery Charger

Discussion in 'RavPower.com' started by TerenceL, Oct 8, 2013.

1. TerenceL

TerenceL Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is a review from Juli Monroe telling you how she feels about RavPower 14000mAh battery charger.
    Go ahead and read on here:

Other than the obvious death and taxes, the other thing we can count on today is that electronic devices will get more power hungry. If you like to use your devices on the go, that often means needing an external battery. And preferably a big one.

When RAVPower offered me a 14000 mAh battery to review, I jumped on it. The product description said it would give an 86% charge on an iPad 3/4, and I was eager to test it out. Did it perform? Read on.

My first impression of the device, out of the box, was “Wow! It’s big.” Here it is beside my Nexus 7 tablet.

View attachment 66862

I don’t think I’ll be carrying it in my Targus messenger bag, which isn’t quite deep enough for something this wide to fit beside my iPad. It’ll toss easily in a suitcase, though.

It has two power ports out, so you can charge two devices simultaneously. I tested it by hooking up both my iPhone 4S and iPad. No problem. It charged every device I hooked up to it, except my Nook HD. Neither outlet worked, but Nooks are tricky that way. It only charges with it’s proprietary charging block, which is probably my biggest gripe about it and why I don’t usually travel with it.

A long press on the power button turns on an LED flashlight. It’s a cute feature, but the device is the wrong shape and size for it to be comfortable.

It comes with two cables and a variety of exchangeable tips, including connectors for older iDevices (but no Lightning connector), micro USB and a few others. It does not come with a charging block, but I’ve been charging it just fine with the block that came with my Nexus 7. Note that a battery with this capacity doesn’t charge quickly. I’ve been leaving it overnight.

So does it perform as advertised with an iPad 3/4? Yes, it does. I charged my iPad to full from 21%, and still had enough left over to put another 10% or so on my husband’s. It did take almost 5 hours to charge my iPad, so don’t expect it to happen quickly. And I had some trouble with the 2A output. It worked fine until I got to 91%. Then I had to move it to the 1A output, and it charged the rest of the way with no trouble. I’m sure I could easily get 4 or more charges on my iPhone, and I’ve never had a battery that could claim that.

You can’t argue with the price. It’s currently $42.99 on Amazon, which is an excellent price for a battery of this capacity. If you need power on the go and can leave it in your car or have a large briefcase/messenger bag/purse, this device could be the one for you.

Amazon.com: RAVPower External Battery Pack External Battery Charger Pack (14000mAh Deluxe) for iPhone 5, 4S, 4, iPad 4, Mini;Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2, Note 2; HTC One, Incredible, Droid DNA; Motorola ATRIX, Droid; Google Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 -