G Mail vs. E Mail Apps.

truckbutt

Reaction score
The Droid comes with widgets/programs for e mail and g mail. Do people use one or the other or both? Why do you need two email applications? Does g mail allow you to configure it for non g mail accounts?
Thanks,
Scott

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Edited because I'm wrong.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Droid comes with widgets/programs for e mail and g mail. Do people use one or the other or both? Why do you need two email applications? Does g mail allow you to configure it for non g mail accounts?
Thanks,
Scott

Yes, you can configure non gmail accounts with gmail. This is done on line in the settings of your google account. I have 2 non google accounts configured to gmail. It's easy to do and will keep you from having problems with the multiple accounts.

OP
T

truckbutt

Reaction score
Thanks. What's the point of having both apps?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks. What's the point of having both apps?

One of them is from Google, the other is (*I think*) a VZW or other 3rd party app. I rooted so I could remove the other useless app.

SofaKing

Reaction score
GMail app is for gmail mail the other is for pop3 mail (but it is super lame). Not everyone wants their pop3 accounts to go through gmail.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
GMail app is for gmail mail the other is for pop3 mail (but it is super lame). Not everyone wants their pop3 accounts to go through gmail.

And as a result there is problems. That's why it's better just to forward your mail through gmail.

Isaiah

Reaction score
I slightly prefer the email app, its notification shortcut takes you straight to your inbox instead of the first email. (I have Gmail, but i use the email app... not the gmail one)