future updates

acbrown24

Reaction score
Okay so I am an extremely impatient person and I'm considering/most likely going to just put the .607 leak on my phone instead of waiting for the OTA. However I have one question..say hypothetically that verizon sends out at OTA update in 2 weeks for a bug fix or something of that nature, I'm just throwing that out there. Will my phone update normally or will I have to like uninstall the leak or sbf or anything of that nature?

Thank you

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Doubt it, this is the last update we're getting. After that, no more support from official sources. Now as for the developer community...There's a slim chance of seeing ICS.

iguanad

Reaction score
Is that official. There are some minor bugs in this update. I assumed they would fix them.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

leobg

Reaction score
Original Droid started as 2.0 and ended up 2.2. But I doubt that will happen with D2/D2g, even D3 (to jump two OS releases thru its life). Lack of RAM is the show stopper for ICS I believe... At least not officially.

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk

Byakushiki

Reaction score
No, I believe D3 will get ICS. It's got the same amount of ram (albeit much better ram). If the D1 gets it, you can count on the D2 and Global getting it.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
I just hope that they'll finally unlock the boot loader once they decide to never push ICS for D2G.

Though myself, I'll probably buy an XT860 4G pretty soon.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Is that official. There are some minor bugs in this update. I assumed they would fix them.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Dont expect updates based on bugs.... after all, look at all the bugs in 2.4.330 that never got fixed.

I expect this to be our last official update though based on the fact that we're past EOL already. Besides, would you really want a motoblur'd ICS when you can have a cm based ICS? Only thing we really need ota's for is kernel updates since the bootloader is locked and probably always will be.

leobg

Reaction score
No, I believe D3 will get ICS. It's got the same amount of ram (albeit much better ram). If the D1 gets it, you can count on the D2 and Global getting it.

D2 and D3 have 512MB, D1 got 256MB only. D1 ran Eclair quite well, it struggles with Froyo and was totally useless with CM7 (Gingerbread). D3 isn't as smooth as D2g was compared to D1. At least for me. (XT860 4G that be, but I doubt D3 is any better). Honestly, the ATRIX felt much more nimble, totally thanks to the 1G ram IMO.
I doubt D3 will see ICS but I might be wrong. I also doubt we'll see unlocked bootloader too (due to hardware limitation)
But after all, only time will tell.

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk

Byakushiki

Reaction score
I'm with him on that one. D1 runs cm7 very smoothly for me provided you use a task killer on manual. More memory open=better experience. It only slows down once you reach about 25mb free ram. D2 starts slowing down at ~130 for some reason.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Besides, would you really want a motoblur'd ICS when you can have a cm based ICS?
Why not?

I don't understand this whole deal. CM fans always take an iPhone-like stand in these questions. “Why would you want to be able to choose when we have already chosen CM for you?”

rusty815

Reaction score
some people actually like the new motoblur, only reason im not on cm anymore is because im happy with the update, its plenty fast and blur is actually useful.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Why not?

I don't understand this whole deal. CM fans always take an iPhone-like stand in these questions. “Why would you want to be able to choose when we have already chosen CM for you?”

Was just using CM as an example but that arguement could be used for any rom pretty much. Granted, GingerBlur isnt near as bad as FroyoBlur but it still has its problems too. The point i was trying to make was why would you want a bloated thing that gets forced on you and you dont receive any support for it when you can have something that doesnt have all the bloat crap in it, has been tweaked and refined so that it doesnt make you want to throw your device at a wall, and actually is supported.