Future Screen Tech Will Blow Your Mind

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
[video=youtube;g7_mOdi3O5E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7_mOdi3O5E&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Feast your eyes on some screen tech innovations that are simply mind blowing. Some of this tech is not far off, can you say Samsung Smart Window? The concepts in this video are the product of TAT’s open innovation project, and should find their way into your handset, work space and bathrooms sometime in the near future. This statement from TAT (The Astonishing Tribe) describes a company on the bleeding edge of tech looking to take things to a whole other level:

Capacitive screens has now become a commodity for touch screen devices. Screen technology is now taking the next leap and the coming years imagination is the only thing stopping us. We will soon have dual screens, malleable screens, screens built into wifi connected mirrors, desks or backside of gadgets clothed with e-ink screens, tactile feedback, color screens with great contrast in sunlight, holographics/stereoscopic screens, color e-ink touch screens, or screens actually knowing where they are in relation to other screens thanks to ultrasonic emitters and microphones.

We want to show some of these things in an “experience video”, that shows a normal day in a couple of years when all these technologies are affordable enough to be used everywhere.

As an interesting sidebar, 2 months after this video appeared (2010), RIM picked up TAT. We'd love to see this tech hit some Android devices, how about you?

Source: TAT
Via: Forbes

Verro84

Reaction score
That would be insane! It's only a matter of time

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The expandable screens are pretty cool. I've been looking forward to those for some time - will pretty much eliminate the need for a tablet (and perhaps why Apple is so defensive over smartphone marketshare, because the smartphone eventually kills the tablet and pc space).

But spare me the wifi connected mirror. I can certainly afford not to be connected for 2 minutes a day (nor do I want to be!).

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
impressive, but idk if 2014 is realistic. maybe closer to 2020

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we are seriously able to get an expandable screen like that, my mind is officially blown. Literally, I might die from shock. How would that make that?! Those.. "bendable" screens is one thing, but wow!

This is why I love technology so much. Even though it's not complete reality, the ideas that lead to innovation is amazing.

Reaction score
All that new technology and they still use those horrible mac keyboard and mouse... :mad:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If we are seriously able to get an expandable screen like that, my mind is officially blown. Literally, I might die from shock. How would that make that?! Those.. "bendable" screens is one thing, but wow!

This is why I love technology so much. Even though it's not complete reality, the ideas that lead to innovation is amazing.

Good question. I always assumed this would be done with a "roll-out" type screen since there have been proto-types of that. But that is far more polished and looks more like a screen that "stretches". In that case, I would assume pixel density would decrease proportionally as you stretch. So a base 1920x1080 might stretch to triple the area to yield only 720p.

bluefire7002

Reaction score
The expandable screens are pretty cool. I've been looking forward to those for some time - will pretty much eliminate the need for a tablet (and perhaps why Apple is so defensive over smartphone marketshare, because the smartphone eventually kills the tablet and pc space).

But spare me the wifi connected mirror. I can certainly afford not to be connected for 2 minutes a day (nor do I want to be!).

Agreed. I have no idea how those expandable screen would be made but I would pick one up in a heartbeat :blink:

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I've been waiting for these type of screens for some time now. Anyone else remember that goofy SciFi show of a several years ago, that had bald androgynous aliens that
seemed to be nice and help us but where here for their own reasons? Their communicator had a slide out screen, very useful, but only if it has a kickstand.

Last edited:

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good question. I always assumed this would be done with a "roll-out" type screen since there have been proto-types of that. But that is far more polished and looks more like a screen that "stretches". In that case, I would assume pixel density would decrease proportionally as you stretch. So a base 1920x1080 might stretch to triple the area to yield only 720p.

Yeah, but that wouldn't really matter. At that distance, or even a few feet if you have the screen sitting so friends could see it, your eyes can't even distinguish the difference between 1080 and 720, hence why the new 720 resolution phones are considered true HD. If screens could manage what is being shown here I assure you lack of detail is not going to be the issue.

Edit: on a serious note, how are you supposed to browse forums and be unproductive at work when your boss can see right through your screen? :happy3:

GBH2

Reaction score
With the exception of the expandable display, everything there is doable. a few more generations of SoC's to improve the speed v. size/cost ratio.

We won't see that expandable display for a long time, like 50 years, if ever. I am unaware of any technology that exists to achieve that in the manner shown.

Reaction score
With the exception of the expandable display, everything there is doable. a few more generations of SoC's to improve the speed v. size/cost ratio.

We won't see that expandable display for a long time, like 50 years, if ever. I am unaware of any technology that exists to achieve that in the manner shown.

Agreed. Nothing that was shown was really to far out there except for the that expandable display and Sweeden winning the World Cup. Look at some things like the Microsoft Surface which has a tiny camera next to each individual pixel.

I feel like the expandable display would require some type of regenerative material for it to expand in and out like that. Like you said I don't really know of anything that can do that.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Nothing that was shown was really to far out there except for the that expandable display and Sweeden winning the World Cup. Look at some things like the Microsoft Surface which has a tiny camera next to each individual pixel.

I feel like the expandable display would require some type of regenerative material for it to expand in and out like that. Like you said I don't really know of anything that can do that.

Clearly you never played with Stretch Armstrong as a kid.:icon_ lala: