Funny thing I noticed lately.

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by yakitori, Sep 21, 2010.

1. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    When I had been flashing ROMs etc...while the update was installing in recovery I noticed I got this line that said something about formatting sd-ext....formatting sd-ext skipped or unsuccessful (something along those lines).

So...I was looking in root explorer today and noticed on the root of my phone / there is NO sd-ext folder there. Only my Sdcard folder is there.

My girlfriends phone has one (sd-ext folder) on there. So...I mounted R/O, added new folder, looked at permissions that she had and granted my sd-ext folder the same permissions. Mount R/W...back out. Reboot my phone...and the sd-ext folder disappears. Not there anymore.

How important is this folder and what exactly is its function? My phone is running fine...no probs at all...Im just curious as putting 2 and 2 together...

Also, in Clockwork mod recovery, the partitions menu...there is a selection to format sd-ext....should I do this and see if it puts that folder back on my /

any thoughts. Can anyone out there please check your own / in root explorer and see if you have the sd-ext folder. My girls sd-ext folder has nothing in it...so...not sure what thats all about.

2. mtz_gto

mtz_gto Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I also noticed this but I didnt think anything of it...
    I dunno what it means..

Can anyone shed some light on this?

3. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    OP, do you have your apps on your SD card?

4. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I have some apps on my sd card yes. I dont move them from phone to SD though. Only one way traffic. would that cause it?

Is the sd-ext used in moving apps back and forth between sd card and / ?

5. mwhartman

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I'm wondering if that is the reason you received the sd-ext message. No sure just a thought

6. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    hmmm...I have angry birds beta...and its on my SD card, but this message came long before I ever downloaded angry birds.

I also have some other ones, but looking back I think that message was in the install process in recovery....even though the updates I apply are fine. When I do a backup or restore...it still says the sd-ext not found or something. I will get the exact wording next time I apply something to my phone, or do a backup.

7. mwhartman

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I'm not sure if the message is "normal" or if it is triggered because apps are on an SD card. It was just a thought.
    Mike

8. hobby31

hobby31 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I've noticed this line for a while now. I think it is for the old method of applying apps to sd. Where you manually created a partition on your sd card and such before they started building it into froyo. But, I'm really not sure.

9. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    yes, reading about this by searching around online, it seems that others have been saying it is associated with apps2sd....and iirc, UD8 (which is what my girl has on her phone) uses the apps2sd ...so that would explain why she has it on her phone, and I dont?

idk...my phone is running fine, I just wasnt sure the exact technical function of the sd-ext.