Funky Ads

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
I had the weirdest thing happen on my DX. A star showed up on my status bar and when I checked it out, out was an ad for some company hawking TV apps? Has anyone else seen this and what may be the cause? I can't imagine a virus.

I'm running GB but thinking of going back to Froyo. GB has nice features, but too much doesn't run on GB.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

ekf028

Reaction score
Wow. I actually just got it this morning. Do you happen to have a Cut the Rope guide installed?
My gold star took me to a market page for a battery saver app.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
PhotoMaster

PhotoMaster

Reaction score
I have a rope knot app. But I had that on Froyo without this happening. I did get a gold star in the status bar when I got the ad

ekf028

Reaction score
Probably just an app. Uninstalled cut the rope guide and haven't seen it since.
No way gingerbread itself would do this. Why would google or motorola make their own phone spam you lol.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

j-brone

Reaction score
What u r experiencing is forced advertising called airpush. If you download an app like airpush detector or something similar, it will scan all installed apps and tell you which one/ones are allowing this advertising. At which point you can uninstall said apps, which I do because I refuse to support an app that does that type of advertising. Seems sneaky and dishonest to me