Functional process(s) to Root after OTA JB Update ?

Spey

Reaction score
(others have commented same issue in this thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-m/226802-jelly-bean-8.html)

I am unable to root after JB OTA Update to 4.1.1
Process followed by results below:

1. Download and extract the entire zip file. (http://vulnfactory.org/public/motofail2go_windows.zip)
Download this: http://www.aosp.us/wp-content/files/Root.zip
Inside the folders you will find su.apk and superuser.apk. Copy and replace the ones that came in the original post with these two apks here.

2. Ensure your device is connected via USB and that you have installed the latest ADB drivers from Motorola.

3. Double-click "run.bat" and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. The exploit will ask you to press a button combination at one point.

1st Screen:
RootErrorMsg-1.JPG
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_UID_CHANGED]
"Volume Up + Power simultaneously" does not appear to "trigger bugreport"
"vibration" is just the ringer volume increasing.
Holding VolumeUp+Power for 5/10/15-seconds has same effect (no distinct vibration noticed).

2nd Screen:
RootErrorMsg-2.JPG

3rd Screen:
RootErrorMsg-3.JPG
Exploit failed
failure
Exploit complete!
Press any key to ... (phone reboots)

Results:
No Superuser.apk installed and effetivley no root effect that I can see.

I have also attempted using the original motofail2go_windows.zip without the changed Superuser.apk & SU-file (same results as illustrated above).

Any advice would be appreciated,
thanks

UPDATE:
I think the solution for my problem is here;
11-28-2012 03:41 PM #5 (Post #5 in this thread below)

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is a root exploit yet for the Jelly Bean builds, people has success though with root before hand then using the VooDoo root keeper app from the Market then taking the update. You might have to wait for an exploit or, not sure how possible it is, but flash back to ICS (IF THIS IS EVEN POSSIBLE, I don't know, so look it up), root, root keeper, then take the update.

OP
Spey

Spey

Reaction score
macpro88,
appreciate your reply.
I have read a number of threads that mention previously rooted ICS Razr-M devices loose root when update OTA to JB 4.1.1.
Comments ...? Have you done this successfully, or are you mentioning you think other "people has success" with this?

I read a thread where a person stated they had successfully rooted after the OTA to JB (sent him a PM a week ago, and have not heard back - so would not confirm what he wrote to be true).

1) Has anyone successfully rooted Razr-M after OTA JB 4.1.1?
2) Has anyone taken Razr-M running ICS (previously rooted), and successfully updated to OTA JB 4.1.1 without loosing root?

Currently, I have one Razr-M with OTA to JB & one still running ICS. I am attempting to make a plan for both but want confirmation on one of the devices before committing both to JB.

Regards,

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't have the M, I have the HD, but when the HD got a leaked build of Jelly Bean, I was rooted, did the root keeper app, updated, and was able to keep root, whether this will happen on the official OTA build is hard to say, most users say it works, and some do say it don't, but I sometimes wonder if the ones that don't work did not complete the process correctly to keep root after an OTA.

Best bet is to find out if the M can be flashed back to ICS after a JB update and if it can, you can then root, use the root keeper app, update and see what happens, this will of course require a little research, time, and trial and error.

OP
Spey

Spey

Reaction score
Thank those that posted to my thread.
I do not think the solution is to flash-back to previous OS ICS, then root, preserve root, and update to JB. I've read enough threads where this is successful & unsuccessful to believe not the best time spent solution.

I believe the answer has been staring me in the face since the 1st Screen. Interestingly, the line directly preceding where I could not trigger a bug report. Ran around to all kinds of forums looking for answers to "others" problems, that I did not spend the time to simply interpet the code of my own issue - duh! Been too busy/lazy to factory reset the device (partily because, can not get Titanium Back up loaded 'cause phones not rooted), partly because I started using the device to experiment with un-rooted JB pre root to see if I wanted to stay JB or go back to ICS and wait for JB 4.2.

So, my money is on I should have rooted freshly after the OTA push of JB when the device was fresh. Now need to back-up my stuff then reset, then apply root process.

hey__no_really

Reaction score
Thank those that posted to my thread.
I do not think the solution is to flash-back to previous OS ICS, then root, preserve root, and update to JB. I've read enough threads where this is successful & unsuccessful to believe not the best time spent solution.

I believe the answer has been staring me in the face since the 1st Screen. Interestingly, the line directly preceding where I could not trigger a bug report. Ran around to all kinds of forums looking for answers to "others" problems, that I did not spend the time to simply interpet the code of my own issue - duh! Been too busy/lazy to factory reset the device (partily because, can not get Titanium Back up loaded 'cause phones not rooted), partly because I started using the device to experiment with un-rooted JB pre root to see if I wanted to stay JB or go back to ICS and wait for JB 4.2.

So, my money is on I should have rooted freshly after the OTA push of JB when the device was fresh. Now need to back-up my stuff then reset, then apply root process.

I have a brand new razr maxx hd and was rooted. Took the ota jb and lost root. Did factory reset and nothing changed. Still jb with no root and lost all data not backed up with google. Now awaiting new exploit as old bug report does not work nor can I access the menu to wipe cache like I could before: (volume up and down with power now simply initiates a restart).

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Then something is wrong. Menu works fine on JB... hold volume up + down before you hold power. The menu only lasts a few seconds before reboot so choose quickly. Also yes a factory reset wipes all data. To keep root you need to be on ICS first and use voodoo root keeper.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

hey__no_really

Reaction score
Then something is wrong. Menu works fine on JB... hold volume up + down before you hold power. The menu only lasts a few seconds before reboot so choose quickly. Also yes a factory reset wipes all data. To keep root you need to be on ICS first and use voodoo root keeper.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Yah I'm guessing something is wrong. I did factory restore again and now I get to my options screen with the vol up/dn + pwr, but when I scroll down to recovery, then I get fallen droid with red triangle coming out of it's chest. I was getting the ota while driving and noticed when it tried to instal it said something to the effect that the download was corrupt but then within a minute later it installed anyway so I disregarded it. Would sure like to know if there"s a way to remove jelly bean and do a true factory restore so I can start over and save root. Otherwise I have not found any helpful solutions yet for triangle fix, or lack of bug report to re root. If any one can weigh in it would certainly be appreciated. Thanks all.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Edited. Thought this was a HD thread. :banghead:

hey__no_really

Reaction score
Yah I'm guessing something is wrong. I did factory restore again and now I get to my options screen with the vol up/dn + pwr, but when I scroll down to recovery, then I get fallen droid with red triangle coming out of it's chest. I was getting the ota while driving and noticed when it tried to instal it said something to the effect that the download was corrupt but then within a minute later it installed anyway so I disregarded it. Would sure like to know if there"s a way to remove jelly bean and do a true factory restore so I can start over and save root. Otherwise I have not found any helpful solutions yet for triangle fix, or lack of bug report to re root. If any one can weigh in it would certainly be appreciated. Thanks all.

Update: found solution in another thread: Red Exclamation is beginning of recovery stage, just had to push vol up/dn one more time to enter boot menu. and thank for droid razr hd utility

drparty

Reaction score
So can you clarify? This procedure will only allow you to root if you go back to ICS with the above mentioned tool or can we root with JB? I have the OTA too (just got the phone) and I am trying to figure out how to root this thing without destroying everything on it (mom's phone).

Or does this mean I need to wipe the JB install and just start from there? I don't understand why a wipe is necessary in JB if your not going back to ICS anyway.

Thanks!