Fun with Speech-to-Text

OP
K

KevinJ

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so quick to tell Google to "grow up" as I really don't know who is responsible for how the S2T works on the phones. Perhaps it's Google, perhaps it's Moto, or - since they have a past history of restricting things - Verizon. There's just no way to know right now.

And to tell them to shove their "#" signs... I use those every once in a while. I'd hate to lose them.;)

And as for this forum, we are all technically guests here. (I know I wasn't invited, but I came anyway. :)) I remember getting into a huge argument about 5-7 years ago on another forum because some members were screaming about "censorship" and how they didn't get to say what they wanted on someone elses property (the website forum). Their house = their rules. First Amendment and all that doesn't apply.

But.... since I wanted this thread to be about "Fun things with Speech-to-Text" I'm hoping we can go back to that, and not go too off-tangent about "cussing and rights and such."

I'm all for the funny. :D

Milehighjc

Reaction score
Ive played around with it a bit, and it seems to work pretty well, especially if I use "discrete" speech. Clearly enunciate, and overemphasize the gaps between words (I naturally talk pretty fast, its not as good with that). Using it at 5:30 in the morning before Ive had a cup of coffee is usually a bad idea, but it comes up with some funny stuff.

One use Im thinking about is using it in conjunction with another app. Im thinking about using it to author a presentation. I have Documents To Go, and am toying with the idea using S2T to enter bullet points of a powerpoint presentation. Havent tried it yet, but seems like it might be faster than trying to type out a bunch of bullet points. Might be useful when I DONT have a PC available.

... wow thats a geeky idea.

jc

djdavid60

Reaction score
I really like the S2T feature. It's one of my favorites in the 2.1 release. I've used it for text messaging, posting status on Facebook, and responding to email. It is highly accurate if you pay attention to enunciation.

I was playing with cuss words and found that "Freekin Wussy Boy" made it through the censoring.:icon_eek:

Censorship is not cool, but it happens all the time. I can guarantee that some #### lawyers made them put the censorship in the S2T to cover their legal ####. :)

OP
K

KevinJ

Reaction score
One use Im thinking about is using it in conjunction with another app.

I've already used it with the Seesmic & Facebook apps, and it works just as good.

I don't know if this works with bluetooth though. I tried it, but how do I know whether the phone's mics picked it up, or my headset?

Milehighjc

Reaction score
Just tried it to compose an email.... actually pretty fast, faster than I am on the physical keyboard anyway - Im not sure about vs the screen (especially landscape). What is nice is that I quickly can capture the text, and then make a tweak here and there using the physical keyboard (the directional keys make that VERY fast).

jc

stumpie

Reaction score
YEARS ago we use to play a drinking game called Pass out. This game required you to recite tongue twisters.

Anyways , I tried one of the tongue twisters and the droid got it 100 % right ! I said it kind of fast also .. Very funny ...

This is what I said ,,,

Betty Boughter bought some butter But she said the butter's bitter If I put it in my batter It will make my batter bitter ..

Anyone remember this game ?

PS. Green take a drink !:D

bullynj

Reaction score
Hey there, can you guys tell me what application your talking about that is accurate with the speech to text functino?

lifesavin

Reaction score
Just got my OTA update yesterday. How do I use the Speech-to-Text? Were do I find it?

Andy

pyro6128

Reaction score
its the little microphone on the android keyboard

OP
K

KevinJ

Reaction score
Hey there, can you guys tell me what application your talking about that is accurate with the speech to text functino?

Just got my OTA update yesterday. How do I use the Speech-to-Text? Were do I find it?

It's not an app, it's built-in to the 2.1 update.

If you look on your virtual keyboard, you will see a key just to the left of the space bar. It's a little microphone. Press it, and then speak.

And have fun. I am. :)

fdkatz

Reaction score
I generally use Swype. No microphone there. Have to go back to Android keyboard. Is there any other way to trigger the S2T?

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
A friend of mine had a phrase, "Some theople may pink that I'm under the affluence of incohol,but I'm not as thunk as you drink I am--but oh my,I do fool feelish!". The point was that if you couldn't say it like that but had to say the words straight you were drunk. I just tried it with speech to text. It came out "Something you might think that i'm on duty athletes in the hall come but i'm not a thank you drink i am. But all my drama do i feel much!". Does that mean the Droid 's drunk...or not? Now let's try the words straight, " some people may think that wander the influence of alcohol but i'm not drunk if you think i am. Oh my do i feel foolish!". There we go! It left out the word but the second time, but otherwise --word perfect. ha! The droid is drunk!

Pokebreaker

Reaction score
One use Im thinking about is using it in conjunction with another app.

I've already used it with the Seesmic & Facebook apps, and it works just as good.

I don't know if this works with bluetooth though. I tried it, but how do I know whether the phone's mics picked it up, or my headset?
Activate it, put it down, turn around and walk away, then talk through the bluetooth at normal talking levels.

Giggy

Reaction score
You CAN remove censoring on the DX.
Settings
Voice Input & Output
Voice recognizer settings
UNCHECK Block offensive words