Fun Story - Real World WIFI Tether

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I was visiting out of town with some friends in a hotel room. Their children were whining that the WIFI reception in the room was real bad and intermittent. Two were using Ipod touches and the other a laptop. So I fired up the WIFI tether program and told them to connect to my “droiddoes” network. They did and it worked great. I was their access point for a little over an hour.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I was visiting out of town with some friends in a hotel room. Their children were whining that the WIFI reception in the room was real bad and intermittent. Two were using Ipod touches and the other a laptop. So I fired up the WIFI tether program and told them to connect to my “droiddoes” network. They did and it worked great. I was their access point for a little over an hour.

...and their hero! Nice story.

SoDroid

Reaction score
Nice! I've pretty much been waiting for a situation like that where I can 'save' everyone with my WiFi tether lol. WiFi tether is really cool, I just haven't had a reason to use it yet.

...It'll come, some day.

echo52

Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you two, man this forum is a goldmine of information and sources. Nice people too. :icon_ banana:

OP
dylanthecat

dylanthecat

Reaction score
For the rest of the evening there was a lot of: "Dad, why don't you have a Droid?" from my friends kids.

mpax9

Reaction score
Wouldn't they have to have an application installed on their iTouch and/or laptop in order to see the Droid tether?

Moondonkey

Reaction score
Wouldn't they have to have an application installed on their iTouch and/or laptop in order to see the Droid tether?

Nope, if it is a WiFi capable device, they can connect. WiFi tether makes the Droid a simple WiFi access point, just like a router does. You can also secure it with a password just like a router.

mpax9

Reaction score

Nope, if it is a WiFi capable device, they can connect. WiFi tether makes the Droid a simple WiFi access point, just like a router does. You can also secure it with a password just like a router.

What Tether app are you using? I downloaded PDANet (seemed like the most popular) and the impression I got from reviewing it was that the device looking to use the Droid's WIFI needed something to be installed on it from the PDANet website.

Skaggz

Reaction score
Hehe, its not a market app. It is only usable on rooted phones and comes with most custom ROMs.

PDANet tethers using the USB cable from the phone to a single computer, giving the computer internet access.

Last edited:

Moondonkey

Reaction score
What Tether app are you using? I downloaded PDANet (seemed like the most popular) and the impression I got from reviewing it was that the device looking to use the Droid's WIFI needed something to be installed on it from the PDANet website.[/QUOTE]

PDANet does involve some software and establishing a connection over bluetooth or USB.

"WiFi Tether" does not, However you have to be a root user to be able to use it. It is included on many of the custom ROMS that are discussed on this site. You can also find the .apk from Google by googling "WiFi Tether Droid". I do not know if it is still available in the market.

demon69120

Reaction score
Haha, yeah Droid's get you a lot of rep.
In school when everyone is trying to use their iPod Touches, I'm just like yo, use my Droid's Network. Lifesaver. Or when you're out hanging out somewhere etc. Internet is vital today D:. At least to me.

rda990

Reaction score
Haha, yeah Droid's get you a lot of rep.
In school when everyone is trying to use their iPod Touches, I'm just like yo, use my Droid's Network. Lifesaver. Or when you're out hanging out somewhere etc. Internet is vital today D:. At least to me.

Hell Yeah! Then you see the question mark on-top of their heads ;) ":confused:"

OP
dylanthecat

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I was supprised I was able to support three devices with no issues. The Ipods probably don't request a lot of data similar to a smart phone. My total usage after an hour was 185MB down and 38MB Up. No real battery issues. I thought it might suck battery but it did not. Screen was off the whole time so that helped.