fully stock > final OTA Update help!

Chao34

Reaction score
I'm currently running a fully stocked Rezound (never been rooted). I desperately need an update the the final OTA. However, I am overseas already and don't have US signal anymore. I am not able to get an automatic update through WiFi here. I've downloaded the RuRu; but when I try to install it a 'red triangle' pops up. I'm a noob with this. Appreciate any advice.

acejavelin

Reaction score
You can not update OTA when you not on Verizon's network, BUT you can download the RUU and install it manually, you can download it here: [Exclusive Download] HTC Rezound Ice Cream Sandwich RUU For Final OTA (3.14.605.12) it will do a factory wipe, so backup any data you need before-hand.

If you are getting a red triangle, it means you are likely not stock or the RUU is corrupt, since you claim to be completely stock (stock, locked, S-ON, and not rooted or anything) the RUU is likely corrupt, try downloading it again then verify the MD5 sum to what is posted on AP's website.

This is the official OTA ROM image, but this does NOT add Global Mode options, just thought I would mention that since you said you are overseas.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Cha34, that's the Global RUU. The RUU that Ace pointed you to is the latest OTA RUU. I don't believe that the global RUU carries full firmware, and that you should go from at least 3.14.605.10 (which was the last leak of ICS with new firmware) to 4.03.605.10 .

acejavelin

Reaction score
Thanks ace, but I saw this posting: [Update: Global Confirmed] Big Verizon HTC Rezound 4.03.605.1 OTA Update Rolling Out, Bringing Global Capabilities [Installation Instructions] - Anyone tried this yet?

Also, A noob question. will I need to root the device or alter anything? or do I simply place the RUU into the SD?
That firmware has some issues, I would not recommend it for a daily driver... the 4.3.605.2 Global Mode RUU is very stable and fixes many of the issues with original ICS release, such as overheating, battery drain, signal drops, and more...

[Exclusive Download] Full RUU Build 4.03.605.2 For The HTC Rezound

Here's The Full Changelog Of HTC Rezound's 4.03.605.2 Update

Note this is NOT an OFFICIAL (ie. supported by Verizon) update, but it is digitally signed by HTC though, so it is legitimate.

OP
C

Chao34

Reaction score
stuck..

I Have to unlock and root it before I do all the updates though right? I've tried like 4 downloads. Loading it into my ex/sd and running it on Hboot. I guess i'll try with the 3.16 version first.

acejavelin

Reaction score
I'm currently running a fully stocked Rezound (never been rooted).

I Have to unlock and root it before I do all the updates though right? I've tried like 4 downloads. Loading it into my ex/sd and running it on Hboot. I guess i'll try with the 3.16 version first.
No, these are all digitally signed packages by HTC and are intended for a stock phone, they are not "custom" ROMs. You actually need to have a stock, locked bootloader (or S-OFF) and root is irrelevant. You did say you were fully stock and never rooted, that is what you want actually.

Download the ZIP file and rename it to "PH98IMG.zip " case sensitive, then copy it to the root of your microSD card (not the internal HTC STORAGE). Verify the MD5 of the file and make sure it is a perfect match to what is listed on Android Police's website.

Power down, remove battery and replace, power up holding VOL DOWN+POWER. The process starts automatically, the phone will reboot a few times on it's own, and can take up to 30 minutes, it if goes that long and doesn't come back with a message saying something about complete, pull the battery and repeat this step until it does.

Allow the phone to boot to the setup screen, then power down and repeat the last step one more time.

Allow the phone to boot and go through the setup screens and setup your new ROM.

This will completely wipe all data in your device that is not on the microSD card.

OP
C

Chao34

Reaction score
Hmm, so I've ran the MD5, placed the file into the microSD internal, rebooted, however; it doesn't automatically start updating. I've tried wiping everything before already also. Any other suggestions? I really don't want to have to send the phone back to the states...I want to be able to access the GSM mode (calling, SMS, and Data).

acejavelin

Reaction score
Hmm, so I've ran the MD5, placed the file into the microSD internal, rebooted, however; it doesn't automatically start updating. I've tried wiping everything before already also. Any other suggestions? I really don't want to have to send the phone back to the states...I want to be able to access the GSM mode (calling, SMS, and Data).
The file must be named exactly "PM98IMG.zip" case sensitive... beware of Windows double zip issues, meaning you name it PM98IMG.zip and Windows is hiding the actual extension of the file so it's name becomes PM98IMG.zip.zip. Also try disabling Fastboot. But if the file is named correctly and you power down, then remove and reinsert the battery, and then power up well holding down POWER+VOL DOWN constantly until the update process starts, and it still doesn't work, I don't what to say... the process is pretty simple.

Realize that by "Global Mode", this phone still needs to be unlocked by Verizon and use a Verizon SIM to work on Verizon partnered GSM networks, and you still pay Verizon for service at their international roaming rates... it is not like a GSM ROM where you can just grab a SIM from a local carrier and pop it into the phone, make a few changes to get the SMS and data working and away you go. Also, This is still not an official Verizon Global Mode phone with this firmware, since Verizon hasn't released this firmware yet.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score

If you rebooted into HBOOT and it doesn't start automatically click the power button once and it should find the update.