Full Pics of Motorola Droid RAZR Revealed at Teaser Site

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Bionic has good battery life IMO. Everyone speculates that the Nexus on VZW will be some uber phone but in reality it is the first dual core LTE phone on Verizon's network that they have ever had. It has a far higher chance of having crappy battery life or lower than expected benchmarks than any new phone coming out from Moto now that they've gotten on the TI train.

Very true... and the bottom line is battery technology piqued way before cellphone technology did. So no matter how souped up the phone, if it can't hold the physical size needed for great battery life, there's only so much software can do to help until some new revolutionary battery tech comes out. I would venture to say the Bionic will have the best battery life of all the LTE phones for awhile to come thanks to the good sized battery in it. Though that battery could feasibly fit in the RAZR as well. Until they improve the LTE radios, LTE battery life will continue to be a "problem".

Oh and the Bionic is the first dual core/LTE phone... ;)

chewy74

Reaction score
whats the big deal with the kevlar backing? you guys planning on using the razr to stop a few bullets?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
It will be awesome when everyone starts selling their bionics to get these newer phones. Then I can pick a used one up for cheap!

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
whats the big deal with the kevlar backing? you guys planning on using the razr to stop a few bullets?

Bragging rights man, bragging rights! ;)

You to iPhone friend... Well...your iPhone may be great to you but does it have kevlar?

I think this is what happens when you have a bunch of bored nerd engineers and you let them loose! :p

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
If this phone has kevlar and gorilla glass it better not need a case or screen protector. It would be great if there was a phone that did scratch or dent.

chewy74

Reaction score
we dont need a kevlar backing for that...just say I have 4G how about you?

You to iPhone friend... Well...your iPhone may be great to you but does it have kevlar?

I think this is what happens when you have a bunch of bored nerd engineers and you let them loose! :p

loki993

Reaction score
If this phone has kevlar and gorilla glass it better not need a case or screen protector. It would be great if there was a phone that did scratch or dent.

Personally Id still do a screen protector. I don't care if its scratch resistant Id figure out a way to scratch it. Ill pay the 6 dollars for that piece of mind so I can clean it off on my shirt without freaking about it.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've yet to see a phone with Gorilla glass that won't come out of a key-filled pocket with some glass scuffs... despite all the marketing Corning does for it.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

That is pretty much it... when we started testing different composites for our competition DBF aircraft back in school, we did layups of Kevlar, Kevlar/Carbon Fiber weave, fiberglass, pure carbon fiber, and we even tried zylon just because we could get our hands on some (albeit for a hefty price)... I learned more practical knowledge from "playing" with composites that year than I did from many of my classes while in school.

doublea500

Reaction score
the droid razr can probably cut glass. correct me if im wrong please.

B-Unit

Reaction score
Umm, couple of things.

First, is it just me, or does that look more like carbon fiber? Plus wouldnt that make way more sense for a phone than Kevlar?

Secondly, as others have said, while it looks amazing, that tiny form factor + current 4G chipsets = extra sad battery life. While I am excited for its specs and appearance, I think that this will be a fail in the battery department.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is pretty much it... when we started testing different composites for our competition DBF aircraft back in school, we did layups of Kevlar, Kevlar/Carbon Fiber weave, fiberglass, pure carbon fiber, and we even tried zylon just because we could get our hands on some (albeit for a hefty price)... I learned more practical knowledge from "playing" with composites that year than I did from many of my classes while in school.

I guess it is worth adding to this that, from my experience, I would say that them using Kevlar on this phone is strictly a weight/aesthetics move. Composites are advantageous in their strength to weight to weight ratio, but what is rarely mentioned is that is tensile strength. A flat sheet does not stand up well to bending or torsion at all (The fibers will bend, but not break, hence why only a few layers can stop a bullet... your phone will bend and then break), but if you find yourself hanging over a cliff grasping the end of your phone with your friend holding the other end, your in luck!

Additionally, the Kevlar won't even be what is exposed to contact with the cold cruel world; that will be the plastic matrix that the Kevlar is "layed-up" within. Depending on what they use determines how resistant the surface will be to scratching, denting, and scuffing. I truly hope they used something remarkably resilient, it would be a shame to have to hide that beautiful composite work within a case.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The fact that we're talking about Kevlar on a phone is pretty crazy, in and of itself...

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know it lol. "My phone can stop bullets, what can your do?

Posted this in another thread, but feel I must re post to answer your question.

Yeah... your phone may be able to stop a bullet, but mine has crime deterrence (one of my all time favorite commercials):

[video=youtube;t7x1aic74Mg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7x1aic74Mg[/video]